PDA

View Full Version : (Grumble) Hangar rash

C J Campbell
September 7th 04, 01:38 AM
Or should I say flagpole rash. I just found out one of the line guys was
dragging my plane around with a tug and managed to snag the flagpole,
leaving a nice flagpole shaped dent in the leading edge of the left wing. I
told Mike to just tie the guy to the flagpole, and I will bring in some wood
to set him on fire tomorrow morning.

The heck of it is, this flagpole is right next to the building. There were
no other planes on the ramp. It was Sunday morning, very quiet, and nothing
was going on. He wasn't trying to maneuver around any obstacles or anything.
So he smacks the flagpole.

--
Christopher J. Campbell
World Famous Flight Instructor

If you go around beating the Bush, don't complain if you rile the animals.

Bob Noel
September 7th 04, 02:56 AM
In article >, "C J Campbell"
> wrote:

> Or should I say flagpole rash. I just found out one of the line guys was
> dragging my plane around with a tug and managed to snag the flagpole,
> leaving a nice flagpole shaped dent in the leading edge of the left wing.
> told Mike to just tie the guy to the flagpole, and I will bring in some
> wood
> to set him on fire tomorrow morning.
>
> The heck of it is, this flagpole is right next to the building. There
> were
> no other planes on the ramp. It was Sunday morning, very quiet, and
> nothing
> was going on. He wasn't trying to maneuver around any obstacles or
> anything.
> So he smacks the flagpole.

I feel your pain.

A few years back, a guy tries to pull his cherokee between my
cherokee and the plane one space over. He failed (dinging
my aileron). Guess how much room there was on the *other*
side of my airplane - yep - a half mile of open tarmac.

--
Bob Noel
Seen on Kerry's campaign airplane: "the real deal"

Orval Fairbairn
September 7th 04, 02:59 AM
In article >,
"C J Campbell" > wrote:

> Or should I say flagpole rash. I just found out one of the line guys was
> dragging my plane around with a tug and managed to snag the flagpole,
> leaving a nice flagpole shaped dent in the leading edge of the left wing. I
> told Mike to just tie the guy to the flagpole, and I will bring in some wood
> to set him on fire tomorrow morning.
>
> The heck of it is, this flagpole is right next to the building. There were
> no other planes on the ramp. It was Sunday morning, very quiet, and nothing
> was going on. He wasn't trying to maneuver around any obstacles or anything.
> So he smacks the flagpole.

Yu=ou have ti admit: It took remarkable talent to do this!

Jack Allison
September 7th 04, 05:34 AM
Ouch! My FBO has two C-172s that have a total of three "light pole"
experiences. In each case, the pilot managed to ding the left wing.
Twice while turning right to park parallel to the fuel pump, once while
taxiing off the blacktop into the weeds because there was not enough
room to turn the plane around without shutting down and pushing it
backwards.

Hope your bird gets repaired and back in the air soon C J.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL, IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Tom S.
September 7th 04, 07:54 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message
> Or should I say flagpole rash. I just found out one of the line guys was
> dragging my plane around with a tug and managed to snag the flagpole,
> leaving a nice flagpole shaped dent in the leading edge of the left wing.
> told Mike to just tie the guy to the flagpole, and I will bring in some
wood
> to set him on fire tomorrow morning.
>
> The heck of it is, this flagpole is right next to the building. There were
> no other planes on the ramp. It was Sunday morning, very quiet, and
nothing
> was going on. He wasn't trying to maneuver around any obstacles or
anything.
> So he smacks the flagpole.

Be glad he was only pulling it with a tug.

Tom

---

“Any drinking or substance abuse problems?”

“Mr. Memphis, believe me, it would be a lie if I didn’t tell you some years
back, Bob Lee had a problem with the bottle and had some wild times. He’s
always in pain, you know, because of the way he was hurt in the war. But I
believe Bob Lee has found himself in some way. All he wants from life is
freedom and to be left alone.”

“What about medals? Has he ever said anything about medals? Are medals
important to him?”

“To Bob Lee? Let me tell you something, son—were you in the war or
anything?”

“No sir, I wasn’t.”

“Well, son, the only people that are interested in medals are the ones that
are fixing to run for office some day. I went from one side of Burma to the
other with General Merrill’s Marauders in 1943 and 1944, and the only man I
ever saw who wanted a medal or cared about a medal later became the only
governor of Colorado to be impeached.

Stephen Hunter, “Point of Impact”, Bantam Books, 1993

Doug
September 7th 04, 11:53 PM
Sorry to hear that. Is it so bad it is unflyable? Good luck with the
repairs. Is this your 206?

"C J Campbell" > wrote in message >...
> Or should I say flagpole rash. I just found out one of the line guys was
> dragging my plane around with a tug and managed to snag the flagpole,
> leaving a nice flagpole shaped dent in the leading edge of the left wing. I
> told Mike to just tie the guy to the flagpole, and I will bring in some wood
> to set him on fire tomorrow morning.
>
> The heck of it is, this flagpole is right next to the building. There were
> no other planes on the ramp. It was Sunday morning, very quiet, and nothing
> was going on. He wasn't trying to maneuver around any obstacles or anything.
> So he smacks the flagpole.

C J Campbell
September 8th 04, 01:43 AM
"Doug" > wrote in message
om...
> Sorry to hear that. Is it so bad it is unflyable? Good luck with the
> repairs. Is this your 206?

It is the 206. They got the dent hammered out this morning and took it on a
test flight this afternoon. There was the usual kidding: "a little Bond-O
and some paint we'll have it back in service in no time" kind of thing. The
leading edge wing skin will have to be replaced. The question is whether we
can replace just the skin or do we have to do the whole module. The 206H
wing skins are bonded (not riveted) to false ribs at a separate assembly
site before being shipped to Cessna. If the wing skin cannot be removed from
the false ribs and replaced, then the whole module with the ribs attached
has to be installed, which means that at least two additional inspection
ports will also have to be installed. I am hoping that we can just remove
and replace the skin. There is no damage to the false ribs, so it looks like
it might be possible to just replace the skin. Cessna and our mechanic are
studying it. The big question is whether we can even unbond the aluminum
from the ribs without damaging them.

G.R. Patterson III
September 8th 04, 01:47 AM
C J Campbell wrote:

> Or should I say flagpole rash. I just found out one of the line guys was
> dragging my plane around with a tug and managed to snag the flagpole,
> leaving a nice flagpole shaped dent in the leading edge of the left wing. I
> told Mike to just tie the guy to the flagpole, and I will bring in some wood
> to set him on fire tomorrow morning.

I'll send you a few logs if you need more wood. Somebody crunched my left aileron a
few years back. Cost the insurance company about a grand and the plane was down for
several months. They never found out who (or what) did it.

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.

Jay Honeck
September 8th 04, 04:04 AM
> It is the 206. They got the dent hammered out this morning and took it on
> test flight this afternoon.

Sorry to hear it, CJ. There's nothing worse than having a wounded bird.

How deep was the dent? I'm surprised they could "hammer it out" like that,
and legally fly it?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

C J Campbell
September 8th 04, 05:39 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > It is the 206. They got the dent hammered out this morning and took it
on
> > test flight this afternoon.
>
> Sorry to hear it, CJ. There's nothing worse than having a wounded bird.
>
> How deep was the dent? I'm surprised they could "hammer it out" like
that,
> and legally fly it?

I don't know how deep it was because they had already started repairs when I
saw it. The flagpole is about ten inches in diameter at that height and the
dent was about eight inches across.

You can fly it if it is signed off by an IA&P. It requires a test flight,
which is what they were doing this afternoon. For something like this the
mechanic required a full set of maneuvers and stall series to make sure that
there was nothing funny going on with the wing. He went along for the ride,
so I guess he believes in his workmanship.

Roger Halstead
September 8th 04, 07:39 AM
On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 00:47:24 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
> wrote:

>C J Campbell wrote:
>>
>> Or should I say flagpole rash. I just found out one of the line guys was
>> dragging my plane around with a tug and managed to snag the flagpole,
>> leaving a nice flagpole shaped dent in the leading edge of the left wing. I

Doesn't that call for a spar inspection and possibly the carry though.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>> told Mike to just tie the guy to the flagpole, and I will bring in some wood
>> to set him on fire tomorrow morning.

Just cover him with honey and the fire ants will get him prepped for
the barbecue.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>I'll send you a few logs if you need more wood. Somebody crunched my left aileron a
>few years back. Cost the insurance company about a grand and the plane was down for
>several months. They never found out who (or what) did it.
>
>George Patterson
> If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
> he gives it to.

Jay Honeck
September 8th 04, 03:05 PM
>He went along for the ride,
> so I guess he believes in his workmanship.

This is an excellent thing, indeed.

That's the kind of attitude and performance that makes us truly love our A&P
mechanic. He's a pilot, his assistant is a pilot (and an A&P) and he has no
compunctions about flying in a plane he's worked on.

It certainly gives me a confidence that I never had before we discovered
him.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

C J Campbell
September 8th 04, 04:00 PM
"Roger Halstead" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 00:47:24 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
> > wrote:
>

> >C J Campbell wrote:
> >>
> >> Or should I say flagpole rash. I just found out one of the line guys
was
> >> dragging my plane around with a tug and managed to snag the flagpole,
> >> leaving a nice flagpole shaped dent in the leading edge of the left
wing. I

> Doesn't that call for a spar inspection and possibly the carry though.

Yeah, but the spar is easy to inspect and it does not appear to be damaged
in any way.

> Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
> (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
> www.rogerhalstead.com
>
> >> told Mike to just tie the guy to the flagpole, and I will bring in some
wood
> >> to set him on fire tomorrow morning.
>
> Just cover him with honey and the fire ants will get him prepped for
> the barbecue.

We have no fire ants around here.

Actually, as I told Mike yesterday, this guy will probably be the most
careful line guy in the world from now on. He is no longer just a line guy,
but one with experience, and I doubt he will ever be so careless again.

The line guy is off for the week for scheduled surgery. Maybe I will just go
to the hospital and pull on his stitches a little. Or at least help change
his bandages.... Just to show I have no hard feelings, you know. :-)

Google