PDA

View Full Version : Wright Flyer

Big John
October 23rd 03, 04:11 AM
From NTSB

quote

On Oct 14, 2003, at 1600 daylight time, a Wright Redux Association
1903 Wright Flyer, N203WF, piloted by a private plot, received
substantial damage on impact with terrain after the airplane stalled
during takeoff at an altitude of about 30 feet at the Clow
International Airport, Bolingbrook, IL. Visual meteorological
conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The private pilot
was uninjured. The flight was originating at the time of the accident.

unquote

Kyle Boatright
October 23rd 03, 05:47 AM
"Big John" > wrote in message
> From NTSB
>
> quote
>
> On Oct 14, 2003, at 1600 daylight time, a Wright Redux Association
> 1903 Wright Flyer, N203WF, piloted by a private plot, received
> substantial damage on impact with terrain after the airplane stalled
> during takeoff at an altitude of about 30 feet at the Clow
> International Airport, Bolingbrook, IL. Visual meteorological
> conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The private pilot
> was uninjured. The flight was originating at the time of the accident.
>
> unquote

30 feet of altitude? In an aircraft that is reported to be severely
unstable in pitch? That guy must have big brass ones... I'd *try* to keep
it in ground effect, if at all possible. More performance, and maybe a
reduced chance of a *big* crash.

On the other hand, the instability may have led to the aircraft ballooning
to 30', which was followed by a stall, then a loud crunching sound.

KB

Thomas Borchert
October 23rd 03, 09:53 AM
Kyle,

> In an aircraft that is reported to be severely
> unstable in pitch?

Uh, you might want to check into how exact a replica that particular
replica is.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Kyle Boatright
October 23rd 03, 12:44 PM
"Thomas Borchert" > wrote in message
> Kyle,
>
> > In an aircraft that is reported to be severely
> > unstable in pitch?
> >

> Uh, you might want to check into how exact a replica that particular
> replica is.
>
> --
> Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Sounds like that's gonna be tough at this point. ;-)

KB

Dave Stadt
October 23rd 03, 01:58 PM
"Kyle Boatright" > wrote in message
t...

> "Big John" > wrote in message
> > From NTSB
> >
> > quote
> >
> > On Oct 14, 2003, at 1600 daylight time, a Wright Redux Association
> > 1903 Wright Flyer, N203WF, piloted by a private plot, received
> > substantial damage on impact with terrain after the airplane stalled
> > during takeoff at an altitude of about 30 feet at the Clow
> > International Airport, Bolingbrook, IL. Visual meteorological
> > conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The private pilot
> > was uninjured. The flight was originating at the time of the accident.
> >
> > unquote
>
> 30 feet of altitude? In an aircraft that is reported to be severely
> unstable in pitch? That guy must have big brass ones... I'd *try* to
keep
> it in ground effect, if at all possible. More performance, and maybe a
> reduced chance of a *big* crash.
>
> On the other hand, the instability may have led to the aircraft ballooning
> to 30', which was followed by a stall, then a loud crunching sound.
>
> KB

Sounds to me like they reproduced the Wright Brothers first flight in the
1903 Flyer.

G.R. Patterson III
October 23rd 03, 03:25 PM
Big John wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2003, at 1600 daylight time, a Wright Redux Association
> 1903 Wright Flyer, N203WF, piloted by a private plot, received
> substantial damage on impact with terrain after the airplane stalled
> during takeoff at an altitude of about 30 feet at the Clow
> International Airport, Bolingbrook, IL.

Well, at least this one can get off the ground.

George Patterson
You can dress a hog in a tuxedo, but he still wants to roll in the mud.

Ron Natalie
October 23rd 03, 03:47 PM
"Kyle Boatright" > wrote in message t...

> 30 feet of altitude? In an aircraft that is reported to be severely
> unstable in pitch? That guy must have big brass ones... I'd *try* to keep
> it in ground effect, if at all possible. More performance, and maybe a
> reduced chance of a *big* crash.

I don't know about what "corrections" these guys made to the flyer. The
original (and the faithful replicas) are unstable in pitch.

Thomas Borchert
October 23rd 03, 04:01 PM
Kyle,

LOL. The first aircraft capable of making turns was the 1904 Flyer,
IIRC. The first full circle was flown in 1905, IIRC. So the 1903 Flyer
wasn't good for more than the hops it did - as you wrote.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Ron Natalie
October 23rd 03, 04:04 PM
"Thomas Borchert" > wrote in message ...
> Kyle,
>
> LOL. The first aircraft capable of making turns was the 1904 Flyer,
> IIRC. The first full circle was flown in 1905, IIRC. So the 1903 Flyer
> wasn't good for more than the hops it did - as you wrote.

But the 1903 was able to fly straight in a stable fashion, indicating a small
amount of lateral control and stability.

Thomas Borchert
October 23rd 03, 04:20 PM
Ron,

> But the 1903 was able to fly straight in a stable fashion, indicating a small
> amount of lateral control and stability.

small being the operative word here.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Thomas Borchert
October 23rd 03, 04:21 PM
G.R.,

> Well, at least this one can get off the ground.

that's not the point. A replication of the Wright's getting off the
ground is done every day by thousands of aircraft. Replicating the
aircraft as faithfully as possible is done by one single group.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Big John
October 23rd 03, 06:05 PM
Didn't mean to stir all you guys up posting the accident report.

Thought that somone from the Redux Association, or knows about them,
might jump in and tell us what they hope to do and what happened in
this case.

Big John

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:11:17 -0500, Big John >
wrote:

>From NTSB
>
>quote
>
>On Oct 14, 2003, at 1600 daylight time, a Wright Redux Association
>1903 Wright Flyer, N203WF, piloted by a private plot, received
>substantial damage on impact with terrain after the airplane stalled
>during takeoff at an altitude of about 30 feet at the Clow
>International Airport, Bolingbrook, IL. Visual meteorological
>conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The private pilot
>was uninjured. The flight was originating at the time of the accident.
>
>unquote

John Harlow
October 23rd 03, 06:24 PM
> Thought that somone from the Redux Association, or knows about them,
> might jump in and tell us what they hope to do and what happened in
> this case.

Sounds like their plane was reduxed to rubble. I suppose they'll have to
redux it.

Aloft
October 26th 03, 01:25 AM
Nice one, John! LOL

"John Harlow" > wrote in message
> > Thought that somone from the Redux Association, or knows about them,
> > might jump in and tell us what they hope to do and what happened in
> > this case.
>
> Sounds like their plane was reduxed to rubble. I suppose they'll have to
> redux it.

Google