PDA

View Full Version : Sporting Code Question

Peter von Tresckow
June 27th 12, 05:21 PM
Hi, a few weeks ago we had some great WX here in WI, and I was flying with a
friend and we got the Blanik up to 8000' MSL which (sadly) qualifies us for
the State Two Seater Absulute Altitude and Altitude Gain records.

Now the SC states that no declaration is required for altitude records
claimed with a barograph, unfortunately I used my Volkslogger. So in my VL I
still had an old task, but I failed to update the registration number/AC
type, and names of the pilots. I fear that I won't be able to use the trace
because the gliderID in the logger doesn't match the ID of the Blanik :-(

Am I hosed?

Peter

Grider Pirate[_2_]
June 27th 12, 05:39 PM
On Jun 27, 9:21*am, "Peter von Tresckow" > wrote:
> Hi, a few weeks ago we had some great WX here in WI, and I was flying with a
> friend and we got the Blanik up to 8000' MSL which (sadly) qualifies us for
> the State Two Seater Absulute Altitude and Altitude Gain records.
>
> Now the SC states that no declaration is required for altitude records
> claimed with a barograph, unfortunately I used my Volkslogger. So in my VL I
> still had an old task, but I failed to update the registration number/AC
> type, and names of the pilots. I fear that I won't be able to use the trace
> because the gliderID in the logger doesn't match the ID of the Blanik :-(
>
> Am I hosed?
>
> Peter

I don't think so. Since the information regarding pilot, glider type,
and reg number are all about the 'electronic' declaration (which can
be superceded by a paper declaration) and NO declaration is required,
that should be irrelevant. Is the Volkslogger baro calibration
current?

Peter von Tresckow
June 27th 12, 06:40 PM
Yep just came back from Paul on Monday.

Peter

"Grider Pirate" > wrote in message
On Jun 27, 9:21 am, "Peter von Tresckow" > wrote:
> Hi, a few weeks ago we had some great WX here in WI, and I was flying with
> friend and we got the Blanik up to 8000' MSL which (sadly) qualifies us
> for
> the State Two Seater Absulute Altitude and Altitude Gain records.
>
> Now the SC states that no declaration is required for altitude records
> claimed with a barograph, unfortunately I used my Volkslogger. So in my VL
> still had an old task, but I failed to update the registration number/AC
> type, and names of the pilots. I fear that I won't be able to use the
> trace
> because the gliderID in the logger doesn't match the ID of the Blanik :-(
>
> Am I hosed?
>
> Peter

I don't think so. Since the information regarding pilot, glider type,
and reg number are all about the 'electronic' declaration (which can
be superceded by a paper declaration) and NO declaration is required,
that should be irrelevant. Is the Volkslogger baro calibration
current?

Marc
June 27th 12, 07:02 PM
On Jun 27, 9:21*am, "Peter von Tresckow" > wrote:
> Now the SC states that no declaration is required for altitude records
> claimed with a barograph, unfortunately I used my Volkslogger. So in my VL I
> still had an old task, but I failed to update the registration number/AC
> type, and names of the pilots. I fear that I won't be able to use the trace
> because the gliderID in the logger doesn't match the ID of the Blanik :-(

Please review SC3 Annex C section 10.3, it covers this situation...

Marc

June 27th 12, 07:08 PM
You have a valid claim. Subject to the calibration and security requirements of your Flight Recorder, the claim should be approved.

The Sporting Code says (in SC3 4.5.6b) that the Official Observer must observe and record the Pilot and Glider identities, independent of the Flight Recorder.

Because a declaration is not required, the information in the Flight Log that we construe as the elements of an "electronic declaration" is irrelevant, and there is no consequence of it being wrong.

In short, the job of identifying you and the glider belongs to the Official Observer, not to the Flight Recorder.

We talked about this at the last IGC meeting (item 8.1.5):
http://tinyurl.com/cv4fjdw

Rick Sheppe

On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 12:21:54 PM UTC-4, vontresc wrote:
> Hi, a few weeks ago we had some great WX here in WI, and I was flying with a
> friend and we got the Blanik up to 8000' MSL which (sadly) qualifies us for
> the State Two Seater Absulute Altitude and Altitude Gain records.
>
> Now the SC states that no declaration is required for altitude records
> claimed with a barograph, unfortunately I used my Volkslogger. So in my VL I
> still had an old task, but I failed to update the registration number/AC
> type, and names of the pilots. I fear that I won't be able to use the trace
> because the gliderID in the logger doesn't match the ID of the Blanik :-(
>
> Am I hosed?
>
> Peter

Google