PDA

View Full Version : best to route to be a commercial airline pilot

Daniel
December 4th 03, 09:31 PM
Hi, just looking for some advice. I have always wanted to a be pilot for a
commercial airline but i'm not really sure of what the best route is. I have
heard airlines always look for someone who has a degree, I am currently in
my first year of computing but I could transfer to an Aviation with pilot
studies degree, where I also could obtain my PPL so do you think this degree
would give me an advantage? Also, where do you go from there? I have had a
look at some airlines website, most don't seem to offer a training scheme
except for EasyJet and Thomas Cook so how do people learn? One more
question, is their a specific prescription for eye sight, and could I wear
my specs for the eye tests for the medical certificates I would need? Im in
the UK if that makes any difference to anything.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer

Daniel

Brad Z
December 5th 03, 07:14 AM
You'll need a degree but stick with computing. Airlines don't care what
your degree is, so a computer degree is more useful as a fallback than an
aviation degree, should you be unable to continue in the airlines for
whatever reason.

Get your private, have some fun flying, and get the rest of your ratings
towards the end of your schooling. In the US, most airline bound pilots
spend time as flight instructors building hours, so the ability to teach is
a helpful skill to aquire as well.

Good Luck

Brad

"Daniel" > wrote in message
> Hi, just looking for some advice. I have always wanted to a be pilot for a
> commercial airline but i'm not really sure of what the best route is. I
have
> heard airlines always look for someone who has a degree, I am currently in
> my first year of computing but I could transfer to an Aviation with pilot
> studies degree, where I also could obtain my PPL so do you think this
degree
> would give me an advantage? Also, where do you go from there? I have had a
> look at some airlines website, most don't seem to offer a training scheme
> except for EasyJet and Thomas Cook so how do people learn? One more
> question, is their a specific prescription for eye sight, and could I wear
> my specs for the eye tests for the medical certificates I would need? Im
in
> the UK if that makes any difference to anything.
>
> Many thanks for any advice you can offer
>
> Daniel

Jens Krueger
December 6th 03, 05:15 AM
Daniel > wrote:

> Im in
> the UK if that makes any difference to anything.

You might want to check out <www.pprune.org>. Lots of Info especially
for europeans.

Cheers,
Jens

--
I don't accept any emails right now. Usenet replys only.

General Lee
December 7th 03, 12:05 PM
"Jens Krueger" > wrote in message
> Daniel > wrote:
>
> > Im in
> > the UK if that makes any difference to anything.
>
> You might want to check out <www.pprune.org>. Lots of Info especially
> for europeans.
>
> Cheers,
> Jens
>
> --
> I don't accept any emails right now. Usenet replys only.
Hi thanks for that site its got some good stuff on it.

cheers
daniel

Google