PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Entry Procedures - FAA Guidance

Bill Denton
January 21st 04, 04:25 PM
During a recent discussion of pattern entry procedures I mentioned that I
had submitted the question to the O'Hare FSDO. After being forwarded about
five times in the FAA beauracracy, my email eventually reached Inspector
Sandra Boerman, who responded thursly:

The FAA guidance for traffic pattern entry procedures comes from the AIM,
AC 90-66A (Recommended Standard Traffic Patterns and Practices for
Aeronautical Operations at Airports without Operating Control Towers), and
14 CFR Part 91. Also, there is a video called "Operations at a Non-Towered
Airport" by AOPA that is very helpful. 14 CFR Section 91.126 does not
prohibit 45 degree pattern entries. When you are on the 45 degree entry, you
are not in the traffic pattern; therefore, a right turn to downwind is not
violating 91.126. The traffic pattern is upwind, crosswind, downwind, base
and final as defined in the AIM. 14 CFR Section 91.126 states that all turns
must be made to the left unless the airport displays approved light signals
or visual markings indicating that turns should be made to the right.

According to the above guidance a 45 degree pattern entry is the recommended
procedure for entering a traffic pattern at a non-towered airport. However,
for those pilots who choose to execute a straight-in approach, maneuvering
for and execution of the approach should be completed so as not to disrupt
the flow of arriving and departing traffic. Disruption of the flow of
traffic could be consider careless and reckless behavior.

Robert Moore
January 21st 04, 04:34 PM
"Bill Denton" > wrote

> When you are on the 45 degree entry, you are not in the
> traffic pattern; therefore, a right turn to downwind is
> not violating 91.126. The traffic pattern is upwind,
> crosswind, downwind, base and final as defined in the AIM.

NO FAIR Bill!!!
You know that one is prohibited from posting the facts in
this newsgroup.

Bob Moore

Todd Pattist
January 21st 04, 04:53 PM
"Bill Denton" > wrote:

>14 CFR Section 91.126 does not
>prohibit 45 degree pattern entries. When you are on the 45 degree entry, you
>are not in the traffic pattern

This is probably true, at least as the "traffic pattern" is
defined in the AIM.

>; therefore, a right turn to downwind is not
>violating 91.126.

But this does not follow. 91.126 says you have to turn left
when "approaching to land," not when you're in the traffic
pattern. It sure looks like a pilot flying a 45 leg
directly towards the airport runway is "approaching" the
airport with the intent "to land."

The FSDO's comments are interesting, but certainly not
unexpected. They know that the Chief Counsel handles
interpreting the FAR's. Unless he tells them otherwise,
they can only repeat what the FAA officially recommends (45
entry) and ignore the FAR that "seems" to make that
recommendation illegal.

Todd Pattist
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)
___
Make a commitment to learn something from every flight.
Share what you learn.

Larry Dighera
January 21st 04, 05:08 PM
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:25:36 -0600, "Bill Denton"
> wrote in Message-Id:
>:

>The FAA guidance for traffic pattern entry procedures comes from the AIM,
>AC 90-66A (Recommended Standard Traffic Patterns and Practices for
>Aeronautical Operations at Airports without Operating Control Towers), and

Here's a link to the relevant Advisory Circular:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/74c9017c9457e4ab862569d800780551/$FILE/AC90-66A.pdf

G.R. Patterson III
January 21st 04, 05:13 PM
Todd Pattist wrote:

> But this does not follow. 91.126 says you have to turn left
> when "approaching to land," not when you're in the traffic
> pattern.

And, once again, the traffic pattern IS the approach at a non-towered field.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

David Brooks
January 21st 04, 05:49 PM
"Todd Pattist" > wrote in message
> "Bill Denton" > wrote:
>
> >14 CFR Section 91.126 does not
> >prohibit 45 degree pattern entries. When you are on the 45 degree entry,
you
> >are not in the traffic pattern
>
> This is probably true, at least as the "traffic pattern" is
> defined in the AIM.
>
> >; therefore, a right turn to downwind is not
> >violating 91.126.
>
> But this does not follow. 91.126 says you have to turn left
> when "approaching to land," not when you're in the traffic
> pattern. It sure looks like a pilot flying a 45 leg
> directly towards the airport runway is "approaching" the
> airport with the intent "to land."

Steve, why are you posting under Todd's name?????

-- David Brooks

Todd Pattist
January 21st 04, 06:46 PM
"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote:

>> 91.126 says you have to turn left
>> when "approaching to land," not when you're in the traffic
>> pattern.
>
>And, once again, the traffic pattern IS the approach at a non-towered field.

The traffic pattern may be "the approach," but,a gain,
that's not the language in the FAR. It's hard to say that
you're not "approaching to land" when you're less than a
mile away, your aircraft is headed directly at the runway
center, and you're following a prescribed track over the
ground that should only be followed by those intending to
land.

I just find it very hard to conclude that airplanes entering
the 45 leg are not "approaching to land," while those who've
turned parallel to the runway on downwind are. I just don't
see any good distinction. Usually, you're supposed to use
the plain words of the FAR, and give those words their most
common meaning, when interpreting the FAR. Would you argue
the same thing if the FAA did not recommend the 45? Would
you make the same distinction if these words were used in
some other FAR?

The only way out of the plain words that I see is for us or
the Chief Counsel to "interpret" the words to mean something
other than their ordinary meaning. I suspect that's what
the Chief Counsel would do if forced. I've got no problem
with that, and I certainly don't think this interesting
curiosity should prevent anyone from flying the 45. However,
to date, I'm not aware of any interpretation from the Chief
Counsel on this issue. Until there is, there's always the
chance that he'd adopt the plain meaning interpretation. I
suspect that the hot place would freeze over long before
anyone would be violated for flying the 45.
Todd Pattist
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)
___
Make a commitment to learn something from every flight.
Share what you learn.

C J Campbell
January 21st 04, 08:05 PM
"Robert Moore" > wrote in message
. 6...
| "Bill Denton" > wrote
|
| > When you are on the 45 degree entry, you are not in the
| > traffic pattern; therefore, a right turn to downwind is
| > not violating 91.126. The traffic pattern is upwind,
| > crosswind, downwind, base and final as defined in the AIM.
|
| NO FAIR Bill!!!
| You know that one is prohibited from posting the facts in
| this newsgroup.

When have the facts ever settled anything around here?

Personally, I think she missed the boat. She should have said that the right
turn resulting from a 45 degree entry falls under the "otherwise authorized"
clause of the FAR.

Cub Driver
January 21st 04, 09:42 PM
To me, "approaching to land" means a plane on final. Otherwise you're
approaching to get into the pattern, not to land.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Dave Stadt
January 21st 04, 09:55 PM
"Cub Driver" > wrote in message

> To me, "approaching to land" means a plane on final. Otherwise you're
> approaching to get into the pattern, not to land.

You fly around the pattern without intending to land? Pretty wierd.

> all the best -- Dan Ford
> email:
>
> see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
> and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Ron Natalie
January 21st 04, 10:14 PM
"Cub Driver" > wrote in message ...

> To me, "approaching to land" means a plane on final. Otherwise you're
> approaching to get into the pattern, not to land.

I don't tend to make any turns on final (of course there are always those who
call the "left final" position report after turning from "left base" but I've never
understood what they were doing.

Neil Gould
January 21st 04, 10:32 PM
Recently, Ron Natalie > posted:

> "Cub Driver" > wrote in message
>>
>> To me, "approaching to land" means a plane on final. Otherwise you're
>> approaching to get into the pattern, not to land.
>
> I don't tend to make any turns on final (of course there are always
> those who
> call the "left final" position report after turning from "left base"
> but I've never
> understood what they were doing.

Perhaps letting the jerk on "right final" know that they're in violation
of the traffic pattern?

Been there, seen that.

Neil

C J Campbell
January 21st 04, 11:26 PM
"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
. ..

| "Cub Driver" > wrote in message
| >
| > To me, "approaching to land" means a plane on final. Otherwise you're
| > approaching to get into the pattern, not to land.
|
| I don't tend to make any turns on final (of course there are always those
who
| call the "left final" position report after turning from "left base" but
I've never
| understood what they were doing.

Now, suppose you are flying the ILS, doing the usual S-turns about the
localizer. You are approaching to land. Do you make all your turns to the
left?

Cub Driver
January 22nd 04, 10:57 AM
I highly recommend Forte Agent as a newsreader. It handles newsgroup
messages far better than any "included" newsreader such as those
bundled with Internet Explorer, Outlook, Netscape, or Opera--all of
which I have tried.

Download the software at www.forteinc.com/agent/download.php

The program includes the latest version of Agent as well as its
freeware version, called Free Agent. This enables you to get the feel
of the software without paying up front.

However, where Agent really shines is in its ability to filter out
objectional subjects or posters: Control+K and you're done! It was to
get that functionality that I upgraded to the paid version a year ago,
and I have never regretted it. The cost to register the software (and
thereby to unlock the full-featured version on your computer) is $29.

(A major revison is in the works. However, if you register the current
version, the upgrade will be free.)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Cub Driver
January 22nd 04, 11:00 AM
>Perhaps letting the jerk on "right final" know that they're in violation
>of the traffic pattern?

I suspect that the "left final" people come from right-traffic
airports and are mostly trying to convince themselves that what they
are doing is correct.

And yes, afraid that someone else might be on the familiar right
final.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Todd Pattist
January 22nd 04, 02:13 PM
Cub Driver > wrote:

>To me, "approaching to land" means a plane on final. Otherwise you're
>approaching to get into the pattern, not to land.

If it only applies to planes on final, then FAR 91.126 says
that you can only make left hand turns on final. Of course,
if you're making a turn on final, I suppose you're not
really on final yet .....
Todd Pattist
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)
___
Make a commitment to learn something from every flight.
Share what you learn.

Google