PDA

View Full Version : perfect PDA for pilots?

Patrick Kormann
January 28th 04, 11:39 PM
Hi!

I wonder if it's possible to say what PDA would be best for pilots? On
what platform is the most valuable Software available? (Pocket Windows,
Palm?)
For car navigation, there is good software (with bluetooth GPS) - is
there something similar for aviation?
By the way - Pocket Windows exists for several different hardware
brands/cpus. Is there some emulation layer in pocket windows or do you
need each software to be compiled especially for the target system?

regards

Patrick
--
http://www.sirdir.ch

Paul Tomblin
January 29th 04, 12:00 AM
In a previous article, "Patrick Kormann" > said:
>I wonder if it's possible to say what PDA would be best for pilots? On
>what platform is the most valuable Software available? (Pocket Windows,
>Palm?)

Depends on what you want. For Pocket PC there are some incredible
packages that will combine GPS, weather and even an artificial horizon on
a head up display - for a total package price up around $10,000. However,
Pocket PC was not an option for me, because it only works with Windows
computers and I care too much about my privacy and security to use
Windows. Plus, I've been a long time Palm user for over 6 years. For
Palm, there are a few GPS packages, like Fly from GPSPilot.com, and many
flight planning programs. The best of the flight planning programs (in my
slightly biased opinion) is CoPilot, which you can read more about at
http://xcski.com/~ptomblin/CoPilot/

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Whoah, whoah! A fat sarcastic Star Trek fan? You must be a devil with the

C J Campbell
January 29th 04, 12:33 AM
"Patrick Kormann" > wrote in message
| Hi!
|
| I wonder if it's possible to say what PDA would be best for pilots? On
| what platform is the most valuable Software available? (Pocket Windows,
| Palm?)

No PDA at all. They really are not all that helpful. They encourage you to
keep your eyes in the cockpit.

Of course. Check out http://www.anywheremap.com/

| By the way - Pocket Windows exists for several different hardware
| brands/cpus. Is there some emulation layer in pocket windows or do you
| need each software to be compiled especially for the target system?

As in everything, it depends. But most vendors will tell you which machines
their software runs on. The thing you are most interested in is an extremely
bright screen, so you can use it in full sunlight in the cockpit.

BTIZ
January 29th 04, 01:12 AM
Many soaring pilots use the IPaq PDAs with GPS data feed from a GPS data
logger, and Soaring software such as WinPilot that has moving map, airspace,
air ports and computes real time glide ratio, speed to fly, and help solve
the all important, "Can I reach that next landable area from here with this
altitude?" question.

BT

"Patrick Kormann" > wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I wonder if it's possible to say what PDA would be best for pilots? On
> what platform is the most valuable Software available? (Pocket Windows,
> Palm?)
> For car navigation, there is good software (with bluetooth GPS) - is
> there something similar for aviation?
> By the way - Pocket Windows exists for several different hardware
> brands/cpus. Is there some emulation layer in pocket windows or do you
> need each software to be compiled especially for the target system?
>
> regards
>
> Patrick
> --
> http://www.sirdir.ch

Patrick Kormann
January 29th 04, 01:33 AM
Paul Tomblin wrote:

> Depends on what you want. For Pocket PC there are some incredible

I dont' have any idea what exists. I imagine it would for example to be
handy to have a map that shows terrain in red that you might hit when
you keep the current sink rate or something... But as I'm only learning
to fly right now and didn't even have my first flying lesson yet
(because of bad weather) I'm not so sure what I'll really need. To get
the whole AIP in there and all the Check lists won't be possible, I
guess :)

> packages that will combine GPS, weather and even an artificial
> horizon on a head up display - for a total package price up around
> $10,000. However, Pocket PC was not an option for me, because it

You really mean head up display? That would explain the price. Anyway,
not a good option for a rented plane, I guess.

> only works with Windows computers and I care too much about my
> privacy and security to use Windows. Plus, I've been a long time

If that's your only concern, there are ways to get that, for sure.

> Palm user for over 6 years. For Palm, there are a few GPS packages,

Well I have a Palm as well (U.S Robotics back then) - but I never really
enjoyed that unit. The new ones may be better of course.

John Bell
January 29th 04, 02:34 AM
It sounds like you might be jumping too far ahead. However, you might want
to take a look at www.palmflying.com and www.gpspassion.com.

As far as Paul Tomblin's highly biased opinion on Palm using CoPilot, I
think that his bias is justified.

John Bell
www.cockpitgps.com

"Patrick Kormann" > wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I wonder if it's possible to say what PDA would be best for pilots? On
> what platform is the most valuable Software available? (Pocket Windows,
> Palm?)
> For car navigation, there is good software (with bluetooth GPS) - is
> there something similar for aviation?
> By the way - Pocket Windows exists for several different hardware
> brands/cpus. Is there some emulation layer in pocket windows or do you
> need each software to be compiled especially for the target system?
>
> regards
>
> Patrick
> --
> http://www.sirdir.ch

John Bell
January 29th 04, 02:36 AM
Also, do not discount the simplicity and robustness of a stand alone GPS,
even a non aviation version. Use it as a tool to learn how to navigate as
opposed to being a shortcut to avoid learning to navigate.

John Bell

JDFlishall
January 29th 04, 02:44 AM
Don't let the Palm geeks mislead you ;-) The best set-up going is an iPAQ
running AnywhereMap. The screen is the brightest available and the software the
most comprehensive for a PDA. You won't be disappointed.

-J

John T
January 29th 04, 03:00 AM
"Patrick Kormann" > wrote in message

> But as I'm only
> learning to fly right now and didn't even have my first flying lesson
> yet (because of bad weather) I'm not so sure what I'll really need.

In my opinion, I would recommend that you not spend the money on these
"toys" until you have assurance that you'll get solid utility from them. :)

<soapbox>
I don't think you'll find a good use for these tools until at least your
cross-country phase of solo flight. Even then, I recommend not relying too
heavily on technology for these flights. Rather, my opinion is you should
be focused on learning pilotage. Electrical systems fail and batteries
die - and if Murphy has anything to do with it, they'll both happen at the
same time. Knowing how to fly effectively without the technology will save
you a lot of anxiety in that case.
</soapbox>

With all that said, I am a former Palm user converted to PocketPC. They
both have their advantages, but PocketPC offers greater
compatibility/integration with my Windows desktops than Palm does. I also
prefer the general user experience and operating system features on the PPC
device. Also, I haven't found a Palm device with a color screen as readable
as my iPAQ.

On the other hand, I find that Palm software is much "snappier" in most
cases. (Having developed software for both platforms, I can offer some
insight into why that's the case.) Palm still has a larger market share and
that generally equates to a greater selection of software.

If you can, try both platforms to see which environment you prefer. There
are various hardware models to choose from for each platform, but I'd try to
focus more on the OS features first, then branch out to hardware features
(like expansion ports, expandable memory, etc.).

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Paul Tomblin
January 29th 04, 03:14 AM
In a previous article, "John T" > said:
>device. Also, I haven't found a Palm device with a color screen as readable
>as my iPAQ.

You should have a look at my new Palm Tungsten E. It's amazing.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
The Code Red virus hasn't caused the widespread chaos earlier predicted.

Patrick Kormann
January 29th 04, 03:28 AM
John T wrote:

> I don't think you'll find a good use for these tools until at least
> your cross-country phase of solo flight. Even then, I recommend not

Don't worry - I will learn navigation the very old way - I don't think
I'll be allowed to use all those tools during the checkrides.
But as I'm quite keen on computers, I need an excuse to buy a PDA for
sure :)
I'll serch around in the hints you nice folks gave me. I hope there's
something usable for Europa as well.

regards

Patrick

Thomas Borchert
January 29th 04, 12:01 PM
Patrick,

> For car navigation, there is good software (with bluetooth GPS) - is
> there something similar for aviation?

Yes. Several vendors for PocketPC. One of the most popular in the US is
ControlVision's Anywhere Map. One of the most cost-efficient may be
www.pocketfms.com. If you are from Europe, pocketfms is REALLY
attractive both for flight planning on the PC and the PocketPC and for
moving map display on a PocketPC.

> By the way - Pocket Windows exists for several different hardware
> brands/cpu

Uh, "Pocket Windows" doesn't exist at all, really. The PocketPC
platform in its current version uses Windows Mobile 2003.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Thomas Borchert
January 29th 04, 12:01 PM
C,

> They encourage you to
> keep your eyes in the cockpit.

So do most other instruments there. So what?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

C J Campbell
January 29th 04, 03:10 PM
"Thomas Borchert" > wrote in message
| C,
|
| > They encourage you to
| > keep your eyes in the cockpit.
| >

| So do most other instruments there. So what?

Perhaps I did not make myself clear. Most aircraft instruments do not
require two hands to operate them, but the PDA does. I have seen many pilots
claim that their PDA can be operated with one hand or that it is easy to
use, but watching them actually try it demonstrates that they are only
kidding themselves. The PDA cannot be located where it is convenient to see
without obscuring other instruments. It greatly adds to cockpit clutter and
creates a disorganization problem. The more time you spend futzing around
with stuff the less time you spend flying the airplane.

John T
January 29th 04, 05:07 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message

> Perhaps I did not make myself clear. Most aircraft instruments do not
> require two hands to operate them, but the PDA does.

Why would this be a problem during cruise flight with either a properly
trimmed plane or autopilot engaged? I use this scenario because it's the
only time I would encourage two-handed use of the PDA.

> The PDA cannot be located where it
> is convenient to see without obscuring other instruments.

I beg to differ on this count. There are several variations of mounts
available that make it trivial to put the PDA in an easily viewable position
without blocking any instruments.

> It greatly
> adds to cockpit clutter and creates a disorganization problem.

Guilty. There are tricks to minimize the clutter, but adding anything to
the cockpit by definition adds to clutter and "disorganization". This
applies to carrying extra charts, backup equipment, etc. As with most
things in life, it's a matter of balancing compromises.

> The
> more time you spend futzing around with stuff the less time you spend
> flying the airplane.

No doubt.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer
http://www.pocketgear.com/products_search.asp?developerid=4415

Teacherjh
January 30th 04, 08:55 PM
I have the Palm VIIx, which I got specifically for flying. I have CBAV on it
and download weather radar from the internet. It's not live, but even half
hour old radar is a good ajunct to what is available by radio.

Now that I have it, I also have CoPilot on it, and use it for regular palm
stuff.

Jose

Google