perfect PDA for pilots?

Old January 28th 04, 11:39 PM
Patrick Kormann

Default perfect PDA for pilots?

Hi!

I wonder if it's possible to say what PDA would be best for pilots? On
what platform is the most valuable Software available? (Pocket Windows,
Palm?)
For car navigation, there is good software (with bluetooth GPS) - is
there something similar for aviation?
By the way - Pocket Windows exists for several different hardware
brands/cpus. Is there some emulation layer in pocket windows or do you
need each software to be compiled especially for the target system?

regards

Patrick
--
http://www.sirdir.ch

Old January 29th 04, 12:00 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Patrick Kormann" said:
I wonder if it's possible to say what PDA would be best for pilots? On
what platform is the most valuable Software available? (Pocket Windows,
Palm?)

Depends on what you want. For Pocket PC there are some incredible
packages that will combine GPS, weather and even an artificial horizon on
a head up display - for a total package price up around $10,000. However,
Pocket PC was not an option for me, because it only works with Windows
computers and I care too much about my privacy and security to use
Windows. Plus, I've been a long time Palm user for over 6 years. For
Palm, there are a few GPS packages, like Fly from GPSPilot.com, and many
flight planning programs. The best of the flight planning programs (in my
slightly biased opinion) is CoPilot, which you can read more about at
http://xcski.com/~ptomblin/CoPilot/

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Whoah, whoah! A fat sarcastic Star Trek fan? You must be a devil with the
Old January 29th 04, 12:33 AM
C J Campbell

"Patrick Kormann" wrote in message
| Hi!
|
| I wonder if it's possible to say what PDA would be best for pilots? On
| what platform is the most valuable Software available? (Pocket Windows,
| Palm?)

No PDA at all. They really are not all that helpful. They encourage you to
keep your eyes in the cockpit.

Of course. Check out http://www.anywheremap.com/

| By the way - Pocket Windows exists for several different hardware
| brands/cpus. Is there some emulation layer in pocket windows or do you
| need each software to be compiled especially for the target system?

As in everything, it depends. But most vendors will tell you which machines
their software runs on. The thing you are most interested in is an extremely
bright screen, so you can use it in full sunlight in the cockpit.

Old January 29th 04, 01:12 AM
BTIZ

Many soaring pilots use the IPaq PDAs with GPS data feed from a GPS data
logger, and Soaring software such as WinPilot that has moving map, airspace,
air ports and computes real time glide ratio, speed to fly, and help solve
the all important, "Can I reach that next landable area from here with this
altitude?" question.

BT

Old January 29th 04, 01:33 AM
Patrick Kormann

Paul Tomblin wrote:

Depends on what you want. For Pocket PC there are some incredible

I dont' have any idea what exists. I imagine it would for example to be
handy to have a map that shows terrain in red that you might hit when
you keep the current sink rate or something... But as I'm only learning
to fly right now and didn't even have my first flying lesson yet
(because of bad weather) I'm not so sure what I'll really need. To get
the whole AIP in there and all the Check lists won't be possible, I
guess

packages that will combine GPS, weather and even an artificial
horizon on a head up display - for a total package price up around
$10,000. However, Pocket PC was not an option for me, because it

You really mean head up display? That would explain the price. Anyway,
not a good option for a rented plane, I guess.

only works with Windows computers and I care too much about my
privacy and security to use Windows. Plus, I've been a long time

If that's your only concern, there are ways to get that, for sure.

Palm user for over 6 years. For Palm, there are a few GPS packages,

Well I have a Palm as well (U.S Robotics back then) - but I never really
enjoyed that unit. The new ones may be better of course.

Old January 29th 04, 02:34 AM
John Bell

It sounds like you might be jumping too far ahead. However, you might want
to take a look at www.palmflying.com and www.gpspassion.com.

As far as Paul Tomblin's highly biased opinion on Palm using CoPilot, I
think that his bias is justified.

John Bell
www.cockpitgps.com

Old January 29th 04, 02:36 AM
John Bell

Also, do not discount the simplicity and robustness of a stand alone GPS,
even a non aviation version. Use it as a tool to learn how to navigate as
opposed to being a shortcut to avoid learning to navigate.

John Bell

Old January 29th 04, 02:44 AM
JDFlishall

Don't let the Palm geeks mislead you ;-) The best set-up going is an iPAQ
running AnywhereMap. The screen is the brightest available and the software the
most comprehensive for a PDA. You won't be disappointed.

-J
Old January 29th 04, 03:00 AM
John T

"Patrick Kormann" wrote in message

But as I'm only
learning to fly right now and didn't even have my first flying lesson
yet (because of bad weather) I'm not so sure what I'll really need.

In my opinion, I would recommend that you not spend the money on these
"toys" until you have assurance that you'll get solid utility from them.

soapbox
I don't think you'll find a good use for these tools until at least your
cross-country phase of solo flight. Even then, I recommend not relying too
heavily on technology for these flights. Rather, my opinion is you should
be focused on learning pilotage. Electrical systems fail and batteries
die - and if Murphy has anything to do with it, they'll both happen at the
same time. Knowing how to fly effectively without the technology will save
you a lot of anxiety in that case.
/soapbox

With all that said, I am a former Palm user converted to PocketPC. They
both have their advantages, but PocketPC offers greater
compatibility/integration with my Windows desktops than Palm does. I also
prefer the general user experience and operating system features on the PPC
device. Also, I haven't found a Palm device with a color screen as readable
as my iPAQ.

On the other hand, I find that Palm software is much "snappier" in most
cases. (Having developed software for both platforms, I can offer some
insight into why that's the case.) Palm still has a larger market share and
that generally equates to a greater selection of software.

If you can, try both platforms to see which environment you prefer. There
are various hardware models to choose from for each platform, but I'd try to
focus more on the OS features first, then branch out to hardware features
(like expansion ports, expandable memory, etc.).

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old January 29th 04, 03:14 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "John T" said:
device. Also, I haven't found a Palm device with a color screen as readable
as my iPAQ.

You should have a look at my new Palm Tungsten E. It's amazing.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
The Code Red virus hasn't caused the widespread chaos earlier predicted.

The perfect approach Capt.Doug Home Built 25 December 3rd 04 03:37 AM
Wouldn't it be... PERFECT JUSTICE... if Frances... X98 Military Aviation 0 September 4th 04 08:27 AM
A Perfect Flying Day Mike Adams Owning 8 January 13th 04 06:10 AM
Perfect electro-magnetic storm Roger Long Piloting 62 November 5th 03 04:13 AM
Sonic Booms No More? (Was: Perfect electro-magnetic storm) Larry Dighera Military Aviation 5 October 30th 03 03:34 PM