PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Exams

Jeb
February 1st 04, 12:56 AM
Studying both for the FAA/IR and a UK IMC rating. The UK IMC give a
good clue to what it is. It allows flying in IMC but with limited IFR
privileges. Essentially it is a get home safe rating. UK weather is so
unpredicable that it is feasable to get caught out easily even with
the most thorough of planning.

Enough of that. Been doing test papers for the respective knowledge
tests. The FAA questions are quite straight forward and I am doing
good. Getting 75% right but will go for the test when I consistantly
get 85+%.
The IMC is a whole other ballgame where the theory can be a little bit
too much. The passmark is 72%.

Here is a fantastic question. No prizes for getting the right answer
(with explaination) but anyone fancy a go?

Given the following:
Ground speed 90kts
aircraft altitute 6000ft
VOR transmitter at mean sea level
Tan 40° = 0.839
assume 6000ft = 1nm

Theoretically, for approximately how many seconds would you expect the
morse identifier to be inaudible within the cone of silence if the
aircraft is tracking directly TO the VOR followed by its reciprical
directly away FROM the VOR?

A - 7 seconds
B - 20 seconds
C - 67 seconds
D - 100 seconds

Bill Zaleski
February 1st 04, 04:05 AM
It is unaffected by station passage. The normal repetition interval
of 7 seconds still applies. The AM modulated 1020 HZ audio is present
regardless of the aircraft's position.

On 31 Jan 2004 16:56:10 -0800, (Jeb) wrote:

>Studying both for the FAA/IR and a UK IMC rating. The UK IMC give a
>good clue to what it is. It allows flying in IMC but with limited IFR
>privileges. Essentially it is a get home safe rating. UK weather is so
>unpredicable that it is feasable to get caught out easily even with
>the most thorough of planning.
>
>Enough of that. Been doing test papers for the respective knowledge
>tests. The FAA questions are quite straight forward and I am doing
>good. Getting 75% right but will go for the test when I consistantly
>get 85+%.
>The IMC is a whole other ballgame where the theory can be a little bit
>too much. The passmark is 72%.
>
>Here is a fantastic question. No prizes for getting the right answer
>(with explaination) but anyone fancy a go?
>
>Given the following:
>Ground speed 90kts
>aircraft altitute 6000ft
>VOR transmitter at mean sea level
>Tan 40° = 0.839
>assume 6000ft = 1nm
>
>Theoretically, for approximately how many seconds would you expect the
>morse identifier to be inaudible within the cone of silence if the
>aircraft is tracking directly TO the VOR followed by its reciprical
>directly away FROM the VOR?
>
>A - 7 seconds
>B - 20 seconds
>C - 67 seconds
>D - 100 seconds

John Harlow
February 1st 04, 05:54 AM

> Here is a fantastic question. No prizes for getting the right answer
> (with explaination) but anyone fancy a go?
>
> Given the following:
> Ground speed 90kts
> aircraft altitute 6000ft
> VOR transmitter at mean sea level
> Tan 40° = 0.839
> assume 6000ft = 1nm
>
> Theoretically, for approximately how many seconds would you expect the
> morse identifier to be inaudible within the cone of silence if the
> aircraft is tracking directly TO the VOR followed by its reciprical
> directly away FROM the VOR?
>
> A - 7 seconds
> B - 20 seconds
> C - 67 seconds
> D - 100 seconds

None of the above. The "cone of slience" causes morse and any other
identifiers to become inaudible anytime the user is wearing one, as
demonstrated on several "Get Smart" episodes.

Randy at Home
February 1st 04, 06:00 AM
"John Harlow" > wrote in message

| > Here is a fantastic question. No prizes for getting the right answer
| > (with explaination) but anyone fancy a go?
| >
| > Given the following:
| > Ground speed 90kts
| > aircraft altitute 6000ft
| > VOR transmitter at mean sea level
| > Tan 40° = 0.839
| > assume 6000ft = 1nm
| >
| > Theoretically, for approximately how many seconds would you expect the
| > morse identifier to be inaudible within the cone of silence if the
| > aircraft is tracking directly TO the VOR followed by its reciprical
| > directly away FROM the VOR?
| >
| > A - 7 seconds
| > B - 20 seconds
| > C - 67 seconds
| > D - 100 seconds
|
| None of the above. The "cone of slience" causes morse and any other
| identifiers to become inaudible anytime the user is wearing one, as
| demonstrated on several "Get Smart" episodes.

Would you believe, A...?
Uh,.. how about, B...?
Missed it by --->||<--- that much.

John Bishop
February 1st 04, 06:52 PM
Interested to hear you are doing the IMC and FAA IR. After getting my FAA
licence revalidated recently at Luton, I decided to carry on with some
training. I am now three hours into my night rating and then will finish the
IMC I started ten years ago and move on to the FAA IR. My instructor says
that I could even go for a FAA commercial licence, as I have enough hours,
but I'll leave that for now, sounds like hard work. Circuit bashing at Luton
is hard enough already, imagine Easyjet and Ryanair being told they are
number 2 to the cherokee on base!

The interesting thing I found out is that if you get the IMC and then the
FAA IR, if you fly in a "G" plane, you can use the IR rating once you leave
the UK FIR. If it's a "N" reg, then obviously no problem the whole time.

Regards
John

"Jeb" > wrote in message
om...
> Studying both for the FAA/IR and a UK IMC rating. The UK IMC give a
> good clue to what it is. It allows flying in IMC but with limited IFR
> privileges. Essentially it is a get home safe rating. UK weather is so
> unpredicable that it is feasable to get caught out easily even with
> the most thorough of planning.
>
> Enough of that. Been doing test papers for the respective knowledge
> tests. The FAA questions are quite straight forward and I am doing
> good. Getting 75% right but will go for the test when I consistantly
> get 85+%.
> The IMC is a whole other ballgame where the theory can be a little bit
> too much. The passmark is 72%.
>
> Here is a fantastic question. No prizes for getting the right answer
> (with explaination) but anyone fancy a go?
>
> Given the following:
> Ground speed 90kts
> aircraft altitute 6000ft
> VOR transmitter at mean sea level
> Tan 40° = 0.839
> assume 6000ft = 1nm
>
> Theoretically, for approximately how many seconds would you expect the
> morse identifier to be inaudible within the cone of silence if the
> aircraft is tracking directly TO the VOR followed by its reciprical
> directly away FROM the VOR?
>
> A - 7 seconds
> B - 20 seconds
> C - 67 seconds
> D - 100 seconds

Jeb
February 1st 04, 07:41 PM
"Randy at Home" > wrote in message . rogers.com>...
> "John Harlow" > wrote in message
> | >
> | > Here is a fantastic question. No prizes for getting the right answer
> | > (with explaination) but anyone fancy a go?
> | >
> | > Given the following:
> | > Ground speed 90kts
> | > aircraft altitute 6000ft
> | > VOR transmitter at mean sea level
> | > Tan 40° = 0.839
> | > assume 6000ft = 1nm
> | >
> | > Theoretically, for approximately how many seconds would you expect the
> | > morse identifier to be inaudible within the cone of silence if the
> | > aircraft is tracking directly TO the VOR followed by its reciprical
> | > directly away FROM the VOR?
> | >
> | > A - 7 seconds
> | > B - 20 seconds
> | > C - 67 seconds
> | > D - 100 seconds
> |
> | None of the above. The "cone of slience" causes morse and any other
> | identifiers to become inaudible anytime the user is wearing one, as
> | demonstrated on several "Get Smart" episodes.
>
> Would you believe, A...?
> Uh,.. how about, B...?
> Missed it by --->||<--- that much.

The cigar goes to Bill for answer A and the explaination too. The
answer book says the following:

VOR signal propagation is omni directional in the horizontal plane but
confined to an angle of 40 degrees to the vertical which creates an
area in which there is no signal propagation. This area is known as
the Cone of Confusion or Cone of Silence.
However, the AM morse ident signal is propagated omni directionally in
both the horizontal and vertical plane and therefore audible within
the cone of silence.
There are 4 morse idents every 30 seconds. Three consecutive VOR
idents are transmitted at 7,5 second intervals followed 7,5 seconds
later by a DME morse ident if a DME is co-located with the VOR.

The nearest correct answer is A.

I have not come across a question like this in the IR knowledge test,
is it something an examiner would ask as part of the oral?

In the UK you get this in the test but examiners are not likely to ask
sucha question in the oral.

Jeb
February 1st 04, 11:38 PM
"John Bishop" > wrote in message >...
> Interested to hear you are doing the IMC and FAA IR. After getting my FAA
> licence revalidated recently at Luton, I decided to carry on with some
> training. I am now three hours into my night rating and then will finish the
> IMC I started ten years ago and move on to the FAA IR. My instructor says
> that I could even go for a FAA commercial licence, as I have enough hours,
> but I'll leave that for now, sounds like hard work. Circuit bashing at Luton
> is hard enough already, imagine Easyjet and Ryanair being told they are
> number 2 to the cherokee on base!
>
> The interesting thing I found out is that if you get the IMC and then the
> FAA IR, if you fly in a "G" plane, you can use the IR rating once you leave
> the UK FIR. If it's a "N" reg, then obviously no problem the whole time.
>
> Regards
> John

Got the night qualification at Christmas when in the USA. I used to
have the IMC which I git straight after the PPL but decided that IMC
and my level of experience were not to be mixed.

Now a bit older and wiser Ihope, I can make better use of both
especially when going to the US. Having the night qualification
releases me to fly at night there. Getting the IR will complete the
set.

The advantage of having the IMC rating is that I can shoot the various
instrument procedures with that to satisfy the IR currency even if I
dont exercise the privileges of the FAA/IR. after all the book only
requires that instrument approaches are carried out, and they will be
in my logbook. With the number of approaches available at airports not
in controlled airspace it becomes even easier.

I reckon I could do 6 different types of approaches from within an
hour of where I fly from. The RAF can help out as well. With our
weather, then it makes sense to practice them anyway.

When I did my IMC, the let down I had to do on the flight test was a
VDF/DME in real IMC at Swansea (always was IMC in Swansea as well as
very windy). That was fun and required a lot of work as I remember
having to continually transmit for the QDM and QDR.

John Bishop
February 2nd 04, 07:18 AM
Your flight test was similar to my first night lesson. I was told it was to
be "an appreciation of instruments" refresher. My instructor is an IR rated
737 pilot, so we took off in iffy weather, entered cloud at 600ft and didn't
see anything but the wings until we popped out of cloud at 700ft on
approach! My first instrument flight for ten years and I did quite well.

John

"Jeb" > wrote in message
om...
> "John Bishop" > wrote in message
> > Interested to hear you are doing the IMC and FAA IR. After getting my
FAA
> > licence revalidated recently at Luton, I decided to carry on with some
> > training. I am now three hours into my night rating and then will finish
the
> > IMC I started ten years ago and move on to the FAA IR. My instructor
says
> > that I could even go for a FAA commercial licence, as I have enough
hours,
> > but I'll leave that for now, sounds like hard work. Circuit bashing at
Luton
> > is hard enough already, imagine Easyjet and Ryanair being told they are
> > number 2 to the cherokee on base!
> >
> > The interesting thing I found out is that if you get the IMC and then
the
> > FAA IR, if you fly in a "G" plane, you can use the IR rating once you
leave
> > the UK FIR. If it's a "N" reg, then obviously no problem the whole time.
> >
> > Regards
> > John
> >

> Got the night qualification at Christmas when in the USA. I used to
> have the IMC which I git straight after the PPL but decided that IMC
> and my level of experience were not to be mixed.
>
> Now a bit older and wiser Ihope, I can make better use of both
> especially when going to the US. Having the night qualification
> releases me to fly at night there. Getting the IR will complete the
> set.
>
> The advantage of having the IMC rating is that I can shoot the various
> instrument procedures with that to satisfy the IR currency even if I
> dont exercise the privileges of the FAA/IR. after all the book only
> requires that instrument approaches are carried out, and they will be
> in my logbook. With the number of approaches available at airports not
> in controlled airspace it becomes even easier.
>
> I reckon I could do 6 different types of approaches from within an
> hour of where I fly from. The RAF can help out as well. With our
> weather, then it makes sense to practice them anyway.
>
> When I did my IMC, the let down I had to do on the flight test was a
> VDF/DME in real IMC at Swansea (always was IMC in Swansea as well as
> very windy). That was fun and required a lot of work as I remember
> having to continually transmit for the QDM and QDR.

Thomas Borchert
February 2nd 04, 08:01 AM
John,

> I could even go for a FAA commercial licence, as I have enough hours,
> but I'll leave that for now, sounds like hard work.

Actually, it's not. The big issue is the written - the flying part is
just more precise flying and the Chandelle bit.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Google