PDA

View Full Version : Re: Battery plugs, etc.

Bob Cook[_2_]
November 27th 12, 11:55 PM
Anderson power poles do show an alternative.. soldering... for the
connection pins if you don't have the special (expensive) crimping tool.

I have used both soldering and crimping with great results.

Just about everything I own has a power pole connection, glider battery,
motorcycles, electric scooter...battery chargers, GPS, r/c stuff, etc....so
everything is "universal"

Cookie

Tony V
November 28th 12, 03:21 AM
On 11/27/2012 6:55 PM, Bob Cook wrote:
> Anderson power poles do show an alternative.. soldering... for the
> connection pins if you don't have the special (expensive) crimping tool.

I use the Andy-Crimp tool. Less than 25% of the price of the "official"
Anderson crimper. Works great.
See:
http://www.hamcq.com/powerpoles/powerpole-tools/andy-crimp-pro/prod_485.html
http://www.qsradio.com/Powerpoles.htm

Tony "6N" W1DYS

noel.wade
November 28th 12, 09:21 AM
I'm another PowerPole fan.

Here's a pic of how I protect my batteries:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mjqlLgxVuDrb5IPSXXZ0ZdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=d irectlink

I make a "hat" with 3 pieces of acrylic (acrylic cement melts them
together quickly and easily), then use some double-sided tape (VHB) to
attach them to the battery with a ~1 inch air gap.

In the air gap I mount an insulated fuse to protect the battery/wiring
(in addition to fuses or CBs for each instrument). I drill a couple of
small holes in the acrylic and zip-tie the fuse in place so the wires
aren't under tension.

Then I drill another small hole in the acrylic and use a screw, lock-
washer, and nut to hold the PowerPole in place with no tension on the
battery wires (the PowerPole housing insulates everything from the
screw). Being screwed into the acrylic means I can push and pull on
the connection if I need to, and it won't put strain on the wires.
Lastly, I make sure this connector is recessed a bit so I can make the
connection - but anything dropping onto the connection will be
shielded by the acrylic.

Enjoy,

--Noel

Google