PDA

View Full Version : American Spirit Sailplane Kit.

George McLaughlin
January 27th 14, 09:43 PM
I'm the proud new owner of an Spirit Kit. The fuse has been glued and the wings are close to complete but not glued. Lots of parts but missing lots too, it has been kicked around alot and hardware and who knows what will have to be found, bought or made. The biggest thing missing is the construction manuals and parts/inventory information. Does anyone out there have the manuals I could get a copy of? Any other help would be great.
Thanks George

January 28th 14, 01:03 AM
Nothing quite like a kit without instructions.

Evan Ludeman[_4_]
January 28th 14, 01:12 AM
On Monday, January 27, 2014 8:03:50 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> Nothing quite like a kit without instructions.

at least there will be no question about the 51% rule.

Brad[_2_]
January 28th 14, 01:56 AM
On Monday, January 27, 2014 1:43:58 PM UTC-8, George McLaughlin wrote:
> I'm the proud new owner of an Spirit Kit. The fuse has been glued and the wings are close to complete but not glued. Lots of parts but missing lots too, it has been kicked around alot and hardware and who knows what will have to be found, bought or made. The biggest thing missing is the construction manuals and parts/inventory information. Does anyone out there have the manuals I could get a copy of? Any other help would be great.
>
> Thanks George

I've built 3 glider kits and 1 from scratch...............there is enough tribal knowledge out there that you could do it w/o instructions.

not that it won't be a challenge, parts and processes.

Brad
Tetra-15 GK

January 28th 14, 03:02 AM
I remember reading in RAS and other sources about a potential design flaw in the Spirit involving wing failure under testing that occurred below the design limit. There was some mention of a potential fix that you may be able to incorporate. Please look into this further. I am sorry but I do not have any further information for you.

Brian K. Lott

January 28th 14, 03:06 AM
On Monday, January 27, 2014 1:43:58 PM UTC-8, George McLaughlin wrote:
> I'm the proud new owner of an Spirit Kit. The fuse has been glued and the wings are close to complete but not glued. Lots of parts but missing lots too, it has been kicked around alot and hardware and who knows what will have to be found, bought or made. The biggest thing missing is the construction manuals and parts/inventory information. Does anyone out there have the manuals I could get a copy of? Any other help would be great.
>
> Thanks George

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I believe that the Spirit kit had some engineering issues about wing spar strength at the root. I know a pilot who flies a re-engineered Spirit and have contacted him suggesting that he may be able to help.

Frank Whiteley
January 28th 14, 06:37 AM
On Monday, January 27, 2014 8:02:45 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> I remember reading in RAS and other sources about a potential design flaw in the Spirit involving wing failure under testing that occurred below the design limit. There was some mention of a potential fix that you may be able to incorporate. Please look into this further. I am sorry but I do not have any further information for you.
>

> Brian K. Lott

Ralph Luebke cooked one spar fix IIRC, but it was applied after the wings were closed so resulted in bumps near the spar fuselage juncture. Also check with Mississippi State Soaring Club as they are nearing completion or have completed a kit donated through the Collegiate Soaring Association. Dr. Mark Maughmer's glider design program at Penn State also developed a solution using another donated kit, but I don't know if it's available to Joe Builder Pilot. That kit won't fly but is/was a design study.

Frank Whiteley

January 29th 14, 03:09 AM
On Monday, January 27, 2014 1:43:58 PM UTC-8, George McLaughlin wrote:
> I'm the proud new owner of an Spirit Kit. The fuse has been glued and the wings are close to complete but not glued. Lots of parts but missing lots too, it has been kicked around alot and hardware and who knows what will have to be found, bought or made. The biggest thing missing is the construction manuals and parts/inventory information. Does anyone out there have the manuals I could get a copy of? Any other help would be great. Thanks George

George,

I built an early kit and fly it regularly (over 750 hrs). I did beef up the wing and tested same to 7.5 gs. I will be happy to share what knowledge I have with you.

Tom Riley

C-FFKQ (42)
January 29th 14, 04:45 PM
George,
The guys that bought the rights and molds to the Spirit/Falcon have various parts and computer files. They are members at my club, York Soaring, in Canada. Contact me directly and I'll put you in touch with one of them.
- John

January 29th 14, 04:46 PM
On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:09:27 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> On Monday, January 27, 2014 1:43:58 PM UTC-8, George McLaughlin wrote: > I'm the proud new owner of an Spirit Kit. The fuse has been glued and the wings are close to complete but not glued. Lots of parts but missing lots too, it has been kicked around alot and hardware and who knows what will have to be found, bought or made. The biggest thing missing is the construction manuals and parts/inventory information. Does anyone out there have the manuals I could get a copy of? Any other help would be great. Thanks George George, I built an early kit and fly it regularly (over 750 hrs). I did beef up the wing and tested same to 7.5 gs. I will be happy to share what knowledge I have with you. Tom Riley

George and Tom, I'd be glad to share with you my experience and modifications I've made since I've been flying my Spirit since 95'. You'll definitely want to add quick control connectors and add the replacement Matco wheel brake assembly that was provided with the original kits.
Regards, Paul

95PM
January 30th 14, 01:28 AM
On Monday, January 27, 2014 4:43:58 PM UTC-5, George McLaughlin wrote:
> I'm the proud new owner of an Spirit Kit. The fuse has been glued and the wings are close to complete but not glued. Lots of parts but missing lots too, it has been kicked around alot and hardware and who knows what will have to be found, bought or made. The biggest thing missing is the construction manuals and parts/inventory information. Does anyone out there have the manuals I could get a copy of? Any other help would be great.
>
> Thanks George

I built and fly an American Spirit since 95 call me at (407) 430-8219
Peter

George McLaughlin
January 30th 14, 09:11 PM
On Monday, January 27, 2014 2:43:58 PM UTC-7, George McLaughlin wrote:
> I'm the proud new owner of an Spirit Kit. The fuse has been glued and the wings are close to complete but not glued. Lots of parts but missing lots too, it has been kicked around alot and hardware and who knows what will have to be found, bought or made. The biggest thing missing is the construction manuals and parts/inventory information. Does anyone out there have the manuals I could get a copy of? Any other help would be great. Thanks George

Thanks all for the responce. I will contact you in the near future.

George McLaughlin
February 7th 14, 12:52 AM
On Monday, January 27, 2014 2:43:58 PM UTC-7, George McLaughlin wrote:
> I'm the proud new owner of an Spirit Kit. The fuse has been glued and the wings are close to complete but not glued. Lots of parts but missing lots too, it has been kicked around alot and hardware and who knows what will have to be found, bought or made. The biggest thing missing is the construction manuals and parts/inventory information. Does anyone out there have the manuals I could get a copy of? Any other help would be great. Thanks George

George McLaughlin
February 7th 14, 12:55 AM
On Monday, January 27, 2014 2:43:58 PM UTC-7, George McLaughlin wrote:
> I'm the proud new owner of an Spirit Kit. The fuse has been glued and the wings are close to complete but not glued. Lots of parts but missing lots too, it has been kicked around alot and hardware and who knows what will have to be found, bought or made. The biggest thing missing is the construction manuals and parts/inventory information. Does anyone out there have the manuals I could get a copy of? Any other help would be great. Thanks George

Thank you to all for your replys, Peter scannen his manual and I now have one. Going to be a fun build.
George

Mike C
February 7th 14, 03:25 PM
On Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:55:17 PM UTC-7, George McLaughlin wrote:
> On Monday, January 27, 2014 2:43:58 PM UTC-7, George McLaughlin wrote:
>
> > I'm the proud new owner of an Spirit Kit. The fuse has been glued and the wings are close to complete but not glued. Lots of parts but missing lots too, it has been kicked around alot and hardware and who knows what will have to be found, bought or made. The biggest thing missing is the construction manuals and parts/inventory information. Does anyone out there have the manuals I could get a copy of? Any other help would be great. Thanks George
>

> Thank you to all for your replys, Peter scannen his manual and I now have one. Going to be a fun build.
>
> George

Good luck with your project George.

Mike

Google