A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

American Spirit Sailplane Kit.

Old January 27th 14, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George McLaughlin
external usenet poster

Default American Spirit Sailplane Kit.

I'm the proud new owner of an Spirit Kit. The fuse has been glued and the wings are close to complete but not glued. Lots of parts but missing lots too, it has been kicked around alot and hardware and who knows what will have to be found, bought or made. The biggest thing missing is the construction manuals and parts/inventory information. Does anyone out there have the manuals I could get a copy of? Any other help would be great.
Thanks George
Old January 28th 14, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Nothing quite like a kit without instructions.
Old January 28th 14, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, January 27, 2014 8:03:50 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Nothing quite like a kit without instructions.

at least there will be no question about the 51% rule.
Old January 28th 14, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, January 27, 2014 1:43:58 PM UTC-8, George McLaughlin wrote:
I'm the proud new owner of an Spirit Kit. The fuse has been glued and the wings are close to complete but not glued. Lots of parts but missing lots too, it has been kicked around alot and hardware and who knows what will have to be found, bought or made. The biggest thing missing is the construction manuals and parts/inventory information. Does anyone out there have the manuals I could get a copy of? Any other help would be great.

Thanks George

I've built 3 glider kits and 1 from scratch...............there is enough tribal knowledge out there that you could do it w/o instructions.

not that it won't be a challenge, parts and processes.

Brad
Tetra-15 GK
Old January 28th 14, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I remember reading in RAS and other sources about a potential design flaw in the Spirit involving wing failure under testing that occurred below the design limit. There was some mention of a potential fix that you may be able to incorporate. Please look into this further. I am sorry but I do not have any further information for you.

Brian K. Lott
Old January 28th 14, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Thanks George

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I believe that the Spirit kit had some engineering issues about wing spar strength at the root. I know a pilot who flies a re-engineered Spirit and have contacted him suggesting that he may be able to help.
Old January 28th 14, 06:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Monday, January 27, 2014 8:02:45 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I remember reading in RAS and other sources about a potential design flaw in the Spirit involving wing failure under testing that occurred below the design limit. There was some mention of a potential fix that you may be able to incorporate. Please look into this further. I am sorry but I do not have any further information for you.

Brian K. Lott

Ralph Luebke cooked one spar fix IIRC, but it was applied after the wings were closed so resulted in bumps near the spar fuselage juncture. Also check with Mississippi State Soaring Club as they are nearing completion or have completed a kit donated through the Collegiate Soaring Association. Dr. Mark Maughmer's glider design program at Penn State also developed a solution using another donated kit, but I don't know if it's available to Joe Builder Pilot. That kit won't fly but is/was a design study.

Frank Whiteley
Old January 29th 14, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I'm the proud new owner of an Spirit Kit. The fuse has been glued and the wings are close to complete but not glued. Lots of parts but missing lots too, it has been kicked around alot and hardware and who knows what will have to be found, bought or made. The biggest thing missing is the construction manuals and parts/inventory information. Does anyone out there have the manuals I could get a copy of? Any other help would be great. Thanks George

George,

I built an early kit and fly it regularly (over 750 hrs). I did beef up the wing and tested same to 7.5 gs. I will be happy to share what knowledge I have with you.

Tom Riley
Old January 29th 14, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)
external usenet poster

George,
The guys that bought the rights and molds to the Spirit/Falcon have various parts and computer files. They are members at my club, York Soaring, in Canada. Contact me directly and I'll put you in touch with one of them.
- John
Old January 29th 14, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:09:27 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, January 27, 2014 1:43:58 PM UTC-8, George McLaughlin wrote: I'm the proud new owner of an Spirit Kit. The fuse has been glued and the wings are close to complete but not glued. Lots of parts but missing lots too, it has been kicked around alot and hardware and who knows what will have to be found, bought or made. The biggest thing missing is the construction manuals and parts/inventory information. Does anyone out there have the manuals I could get a copy of? Any other help would be great. Thanks George George, I built an early kit and fly it regularly (over 750 hrs). I did beef up the wing and tested same to 7.5 gs. I will be happy to share what knowledge I have with you. Tom Riley

George and Tom, I'd be glad to share with you my experience and modifications I've made since I've been flying my Spirit since 95'. You'll definitely want to add quick control connectors and add the replacement Matco wheel brake assembly that was provided with the original kits.
Regards, Paul