PDA

View Full Version : Bose Corp. - What a company!

Bill J
January 12th 04, 03:11 PM
How's this for customer support.

I ordered the new upgrade for the Series X headset (better battery life)
back in October (about $125). It was delayed until after January 04
because of a supplier problem.

Mysteriously around Christmas I got a box from Bose, but it was a new
QC-1 non-aviation NR headset. I called about why I got it, and (after
most everyone at Bose had no idea why it was sent) I just got word that
they were being shipped as "atonement" (their word) for the delayed X
upgrade.

No charge, yet it's got to be worth more than the original order.

Thomas Borchert
January 12th 04, 04:00 PM
Bill,

> No charge, yet it's got to be worth more than the original order.

Would you rather have a very occasional free gift like that and an
absurdly high product price to cover that - or a more reasonable
product price to begin with?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Stu Gotts
January 12th 04, 08:05 PM
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:00:45 +0100, Thomas Borchert
> wrote:

>Bill,
>
>> No charge, yet it's got to be worth more than the original order.
>>

>Would you rather have a very occasional free gift like that and an
>absurdly high product price to cover that - or a more reasonable
>product price to begin with?

Obviously not a BOSE X owner. They wouldn't be asking that question.
And I'm enjoying my "gift", too!

Thomas Borchert
January 12th 04, 08:28 PM
Stu,

> Obviously not a BOSE X owner. They wouldn't be asking that question.
> And I'm enjoying my "gift", too!

Nope, obviously not someone obscenely rich <g>.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Bill J
January 12th 04, 09:59 PM
Believe me, not obscenely, nor minutely rich. Just know and appreciate
quality. Four years later, worth every penny.

Thomas Borchert wrote:
> Stu,
>

>>Obviously not a BOSE X owner. They wouldn't be asking that question.
>>And I'm enjoying my "gift", too!
>>

> Nope, obviously not someone obscenely rich <g>.

Stu Gotts
January 13th 04, 12:35 AM
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:28:18 +0100, Thomas Borchert
> wrote:

>Stu,
>
>> Obviously not a BOSE X owner. They wouldn't be asking that question.
>> And I'm enjoying my "gift", too!
>>

>Nope, obviously not someone obscenely rich <g>.
They are mighty proud of their stuff, ain't they?

Thomas Borchert
January 13th 04, 07:11 AM
Bill,

> Believe me, not obscenely, nor minutely rich. Just know and appreciate
> quality. Four years later, worth every penny.

Did you notice the <g>?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Kyler Laird
January 13th 04, 03:12 PM
Thomas Borchert > writes:

>> No charge, yet it's got to be worth more than the original order.

>Would you rather have a very occasional free gift like that and an
>absurdly high product price to cover that - or a more reasonable
>product price to begin with?

Let's see...they got rid of an item that they're dumping anyway. What
do you think it was worth to them altogether (including shipping, etc.)?
$20-$40? Now what portion of Bose X owners got this deal? 1 in 1000?
(I have two pairs and I just got a package from Bose - long story - that
didn't include the gift.)

So, what's the "more reasonable product price" that we're discussing
here? A differences of something on the order of $1 less than now? Nah,
I'll happily pay a dollar for a chance at "a very occasional free gift
like that".

The real bottom line is that there isn't anyone producing a comparable
product. (Yes, I have LightSpeed, Sennheiser and a couple Dave Clark
headsets in my plane too, but my wife and I go for the Bose.)

--kyler

Kyler Laird
January 13th 04, 03:12 PM
Thomas Borchert > writes:

>> Obviously not a BOSE X owner. They wouldn't be asking that question.
>> And I'm enjoying my "gift", too!

>Nope, obviously not someone obscenely rich <g>.

But you have a plane? How can that be?!

--kyler

EDR
January 15th 04, 02:11 PM
In article >, Kyler Laird
> wrote:

> Thomas Borchert > writes:
>
> >> Obviously not a BOSE X owner. They wouldn't be asking that question.
> >> And I'm enjoying my "gift", too!
>
> >Nope, obviously not someone obscenely rich <g>.
>
> But you have a plane? How can that be?!

Ahhh!!! Interesting statements of false logic:
Because I am obscenely rich, I have an airplane.
Because I have an airplane, I am obscenely rich.

Paul
January 20th 04, 09:46 PM
Bose - big bucks for a piece of plastic made by folks on minimum wage ( hot
rice bowl ) in China and sold for a premium price, a bit like Lightspeed
which I use but with a certain air of exclusiveness for the needy, if they
work for you goood show.

Paul

"Kyler Laird" > wrote in message
> Thomas Borchert > writes:
>
> >> No charge, yet it's got to be worth more than the original order.
>
> >Would you rather have a very occasional free gift like that and an
> >absurdly high product price to cover that - or a more reasonable
> >product price to begin with?
>
> Let's see...they got rid of an item that they're dumping anyway. What
> do you think it was worth to them altogether (including shipping, etc.)?
> $20-$40? Now what portion of Bose X owners got this deal? 1 in 1000?
> (I have two pairs and I just got a package from Bose - long story - that
> didn't include the gift.)
>
> So, what's the "more reasonable product price" that we're discussing
> here? A differences of something on the order of $1 less than now? Nah,
> I'll happily pay a dollar for a chance at "a very occasional free gift
> like that".
>
> The real bottom line is that there isn't anyone producing a comparable
> product. (Yes, I have LightSpeed, Sennheiser and a couple Dave Clark
> headsets in my plane too, but my wife and I go for the Bose.)
>
> --kyler

Bill J
January 21st 04, 11:13 PM
Headband not plastic, but Titanium.

Paul wrote:
> Bose - big bucks for a piece of plastic made by folks on minimum wage ( hot
> rice bowl ) in China and sold for a premium price, a bit like Lightspeed
> which I use but with a certain air of exclusiveness for the needy, if they
> work for you goood show.
>
> Paul

>>>Would you rather have a very occasional free gift like that and an
>>>absurdly high product price to cover that - or a more reasonable
>>>product price to begin with?
>>
>>Let's see...they got rid of an item that they're dumping anyway. What
>>do you think it was worth to them altogether (including shipping, etc.)?
>>$20-$40? Now what portion of Bose X owners got this deal? 1 in 1000?
>>(I have two pairs and I just got a package from Bose - long story - that
>>didn't include the gift.)
>>
>>So, what's the "more reasonable product price" that we're discussing
>>here? A differences of something on the order of $1 less than now? Nah,
>>I'll happily pay a dollar for a chance at "a very occasional free gift
>>like that".
>>
>>The real bottom line is that there isn't anyone producing a comparable
>>product. (Yes, I have LightSpeed, Sennheiser and a couple Dave Clark
>>headsets in my plane too, but my wife and I go for the Bose.)
>>
>>--kyler

Marc J. Zeitlin
January 23rd 04, 02:32 AM
Bill J wrote;

> Headband not plastic, but Titanium.

Actually, the headband is cast magnesium, then epoxy painted, for weight
considerations.

> Paul wrote:
> > Bose - big bucks for a piece of plastic made by folks on minimum
wage ( hot
> > rice bowl ) in China and sold for a premium price......

While I won't argue with the "premium price" part, the Bose X headset is
assembled in the USA in Framingham, MA (or at least it was in 1999 when
I was an engineer on the project). The plastic parts are/were the
earcups, the earcup yokes, and the battery compartment. While they were
molded in China, the assembly of the mechanical and electrical
components was all performed here. All electrical, acoustic, microphone
and boom parts were from top of the line vendors.

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://marc.zeitlin.home.comcast.net/

John Bishop
February 9th 04, 07:26 AM
I used to part own a plane, and hope to do so again soon. I was never rich,
but ownership brought my hobby to me at an affordable price.

Also, I still use my David Clark headset I "treated" myself to on getting my
licence in 1988. cost me £200 and it's been worth every penny. Quality is
worth paying for.

John

"Kyler Laird" > wrote in message
> Thomas Borchert > writes:
>
> >> Obviously not a BOSE X owner. They wouldn't be asking that question.
> >> And I'm enjoying my "gift", too!
>
> >Nope, obviously not someone obscenely rich <g>.
>
> But you have a plane? How can that be?!
>
> --kyler

Google