PDA

View Full Version : Radio Protocol re "Flight Level"

January 26th 15, 03:50 PM
We just got "climb and maintain 18000" yesterday, which is why I am here now. I content that a clearance to 18000 means using local altimeter, while FL180 would use 29.92.

Paul Tomblin
January 26th 15, 07:07 PM
In a previous article, said:
>We just got "climb and maintain 18000" yesterday, which is why I am here
>now. I content that a clearance to 18000 means using local altimeter,
>while FL180 would use 29.92.

ATC is never supposed to assign 18,000'.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://blog.xcski.com/
"Did you really name your son ``Robert'); DROP TABLE Students; -- ''?"

Paul Tomblin
January 26th 15, 07:18 PM
In a previous article, said:
>We just got "climb and maintain 18000" yesterday, which is why I am here
>now. I content that a clearance to 18000 means using local altimeter,
>while FL180 would use 29.92.

FAR 91.121:
(a) Each person operating an aircraft shall maintain the cruising altitude
or flight level of that aircraft, as the case may be, by reference to an
altimeter that is set, when operating—

(1) Below 18,000 feet MSL, to—

(i) The current reported altimeter setting of a station along the route
and within 100 nautical miles of the aircraft;

(2) At or above 18,000 feet MSL, to 29.92″ Hg.

(b) The lowest usable flight level is determined by the atmospheric
pressure in the area of operation as shown in the following table [snip]

--
Paul Tomblin > http://blog.xcski.com/
Frankly, your argument wouldn't float were the sea composed of

Sam Spade
January 27th 15, 08:08 PM
On 1/26/2015 7:50 AM, wrote:
> We just got "climb and maintain 18000" yesterday, which is why I am here now. I content that a clearance to 18000 means using local altimeter, while FL180 would use 29.92.

You should have refused the clearance.

Google