PDA

View Full Version : Changing from VFR to IFR

hawk_spring
October 16th 03, 07:50 PM
Is there a way to switch control from VFR to IFR? An example would be I'm on a long cross country trip and suddenly run in instrument meteorological conditions and still wish to continue on to my destination but with IFR ATC control.

Bill
October 16th 03, 08:49 PM
2004? Select flight planner from the menu and open an IFR plan and it should
work. I have not actually tried but others have and it seems to work ok.
Only thing I think you have to pay attention to is how you exit the screen
so it doesnt put you back at your starting point. Experiment with it

Bill

"hawk_spring" > wrote in message
m...
Is there a way to switch control from VFR to IFR? An example would be I'm
on a long cross country trip and suddenly run in instrument meteorological
conditions and still wish to continue on to my destination but with IFR ATC
control.

Dashii
October 16th 03, 09:01 PM
One of your choices in the ATC window is "Create or open an IFR flight plan".

Dashii
"hawk_spring" > wrote in message m...
Is there a way to switch control from VFR to IFR? An example would be I'm on a long cross country trip and suddenly run in instrument meteorological conditions and still wish to continue on to my destination but with IFR ATC control.

hawk_spring
October 18th 03, 04:32 AM
No, I'm using 2002

"Bill" > wrote in message
> 2004? Select flight planner from the menu and open an IFR plan and it
should
> work. I have not actually tried but others have and it seems to work ok.
> Only thing I think you have to pay attention to is how you exit the screen
> so it doesnt put you back at your starting point. Experiment with it
>
> Bill
>

> "hawk_spring" > wrote in message
> m...
> Is there a way to switch control from VFR to IFR? An example would be I'm
> on a long cross country trip and suddenly run in instrument meteorological
> conditions and still wish to continue on to my destination but with IFR
ATC
> control.

hawk_spring
October 18th 03, 04:34 AM
Doing that puts you back at your starting airport at beginning of the flight. I'd like to do it in flight.
"Dashii" > wrote in message ...
One of your choices in the ATC window is "Create or open an IFR flight plan".

Dashii
"hawk_spring" > wrote in message m...
Is there a way to switch control from VFR to IFR? An example would be I'm on a long cross country trip and suddenly run in instrument meteorological conditions and still wish to continue on to my destination but with IFR ATC control.

Bill
October 18th 03, 07:16 AM
dont think it works in 2002.

"hawk_spring" > wrote in message
m...
> No, I'm using 2002
>
> "Bill" > wrote in message
> > 2004? Select flight planner from the menu and open an IFR plan and it
> should
> > work. I have not actually tried but others have and it seems to work ok.
> > Only thing I think you have to pay attention to is how you exit the
screen
> > so it doesnt put you back at your starting point. Experiment with it
> >
> > Bill
> >

> > "hawk_spring" > wrote in message
> > m...
> > Is there a way to switch control from VFR to IFR? An example would be
I'm
> > on a long cross country trip and suddenly run in instrument
meteorological
> > conditions and still wish to continue on to my destination but with IFR
> ATC
> > control.

Paul Riley
October 18th 03, 09:41 PM
"hawk_spring" > wrote in message
m...
Doing that puts you back at your starting airport at beginning of the
flight. I'd like to do it in flight.
/////////////////////////////

No it does not, IF you pay attention and say NO when the flight planner asks
you if you want to be repositioned to the starting airport.

AND, this change of flight plan is only possible in FS2004 (FS9), NOT in
FS2002.

Paul

"Dashii" > wrote in message
One of your choices in the ATC window is "Create or open an IFR flight
plan".

Dashii
"hawk_spring" > wrote in message
m...
Is there a way to switch control from VFR to IFR? An example would be
I'm on a long cross country trip and suddenly run in instrument
meteorological conditions and still wish to continue on to my destination
but with IFR ATC control.

Google