PDA

View Full Version : Battery charger question

July 2nd 17, 01:11 AM
I know that the lithium iron phosphate batteries should be charged with a different charger than SLA batteries but can a "lithium" charger be used on an SLA?

JS
July 2nd 17, 01:48 AM
On Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 5:12:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> I know that the lithium iron phosphate batteries should be charged with a different charger than SLA batteries but can a "lithium" charger be used on an SLA?

MDFA, there are quite a few deals on LiFePO4s that include a charger for $15 to $25 more than just the battery.
Use that charger for the new battery and your existing charger for the old SLA / AGM battery.
Charge voltage is similar, "float" isn't.
Jim

July 2nd 17, 04:47 AM
My Lifepo4 11ah battery is charged at 5 amp rate, total charge time is 2-2.5 hours. At that rate you would burn up or dry out similar lead acid agm batteries just say no!

Matt Herron Jr.
July 2nd 17, 05:24 PM
I bought 2 4A chargers and two 9AH LifePO4 from stark. Batteries work fine, but the charger will blow a 5Amp fuse when the battery is first plugged in. I am a little worried about putting a higher amperage fuse in the battery. Anyone else have this experience with the stark chargers?

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
July 2nd 17, 05:46 PM
Because I'm also into "battery RC", I have a selection of battery chargers.
I use a few different Venom chargers that can do NiCad, NiMH, LA, LiFe, etc. most can be powered by a wall outlet at home, or 12VDC in the field.

Look on RC hobby sites (Tower Hobby, local place, etc.) and look up specs for Venom ProChargers. See what you think.

Note, most can also do automated charge/discharge cycles to measure battery capacity, nice thing to do late winter before flying.

PS, yes, if you look close, several brands all look the same, different "mfr" or model name, I believe Venom is the actual mfr.

Dave Nadler
July 2nd 17, 05:50 PM
On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 12:24:33 PM UTC-4, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
> I bought 2 4A chargers and two 9AH LifePO4 from stark.
> Batteries work fine, but the charger will blow a 5Amp fuse
> when the battery is first plugged in.

Yikes. what does stark say about this???

July 2nd 17, 05:56 PM
Go to a 6 or 8A fuse and you should be fine

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
July 2nd 17, 09:07 PM
Fuses protect the wires, look up the ampacity of the wires used. As an example, 12ga is good for 20 Amps, 10ga is good for 30amps 14ga is good for 15 amps.......

Dan Daly[_2_]
July 3rd 17, 02:44 AM
On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 12:24:33 PM UTC-4, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
> I bought 2 4A chargers and two 9AH LifePO4 from stark. Batteries work fine, but the charger will blow a 5Amp fuse when the battery is first plugged in. I am a little worried about putting a higher amperage fuse in the battery. Anyone else have this experience with the stark chargers?

I have a 5A charger (the original Silver one with the fan from Knauff and Grove (I was an early adopter when an SLA failed at the Ridge); now they have the black ones) and two 9AH LiFePO Stark batteries; had them all for two years, never blown a 5A auto fuse on battery or the charger fuse. I use 16 AWG cable.

Dan

Google