PDA

View Full Version : Komet Trailer

July 28th 17, 04:52 PM
Hi all,

I have recently taken a significant upgrade in trailers for my Libelle from a cigar tube trailer to a Komet. We adjusted it to go from a Discus to a Libelle and it is so much nicer to rig and de-rig out of. Trailers matter!

I have two questions, if I have to reweld a support bar on the clam shell and a small crack in the area of metal that holds the clam shell down during transport, has anyone had to re-weld some of there Komet, if so please let me know what steps you took.

My final question is what I should do to prevent water and other things from getting in between the clam shell and the trailer door in the back. I was thinking of putting a piece of wood in between unless someone has a better idea? Thanks.

https://ibb.co/j2dhh5 <--- Photo of gap in between the clam shell and trailer door needing to be weather sealed.

Ben Coleman
July 29th 17, 02:14 AM
I am far from an expert on these but have had one for a few years. I had a local welder repair a few spots and I believe he tig welded them. If hard against the fibregalss it will probably need some heat shielding during welding.
At the back your gap looks a little larger than expected but I could be wrong. There should be a hard rubber strip on top of the rear door for when it rests on the ground and a sealing strip (soft rubber) atrached to the lid to fill the gap.

Cheers Ben

July 31st 17, 07:02 PM
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 8:14:25 PM UTC-5, Ben Coleman wrote:
> I am far from an expert on these but have had one for a few years. I had a local welder repair a few spots and I believe he tig welded them. If hard against the fibregalss it will probably need some heat shielding during welding.
> At the back your gap looks a little larger than expected but I could be wrong. There should be a hard rubber strip on top of the rear door for when it rests on the ground and a sealing strip (soft rubber) atrached to the lid to fill the gap.
>
> Cheers Ben

Thank you!

ZP
August 2nd 17, 12:09 AM
As far as the gap... I took medium density foam and glued it full length to the lift gate. When you close the tail gate, it compresses the foam slightly making the seal. A simple rectangular piece of foam works great for dust, but if you want to seal it from rain, you'll have to use a much thicker piece of foam (~1.5 in or so). It will need to be cut so that the foam provides a roof over the tailgate, but thin where the tailgate closes. Cross-section below....

________
| |
| (foam) | <--(lift gate side - clamshell)
|____ | (glue this edge to lift gate)
-----| |
| || |
/\ | ||___|
||=| |
\/ | |
| |
| | <--(tailgate - closed position)
| |
| |

ZP
August 2nd 17, 12:10 AM
crap. it looked so good before I hit the "post" button. wish they would leave the font in courier.

Dan Marotta
August 2nd 17, 12:24 AM
Hey Dirk,

It looks like courier on my computer.

--
Dan, 5J

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
August 2nd 17, 12:52 AM
On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 16:10:49 -0700, ZP wrote:

> crap. it looked so good before I hit the "post" button. wish they would
> leave the font in courier.

Looked good here (using PAN 0.141 as newsreader). Some newsreaders (PAN
is one) let you set the font used for different window types: I use
'monospaced' for everything. Is it possible that your edit window is
using Courier but the window/panel your usenet reader uses to display
incoming posts is using a variable width font?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

August 7th 17, 05:34 AM
On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 6:09:27 PM UTC-5, ZP wrote:
> As far as the gap... I took medium density foam and glued it full length to the lift gate. When you close the tail gate, it compresses the foam slightly making the seal. A simple rectangular piece of foam works great for dust, but if you want to seal it from rain, you'll have to use a much thicker piece of foam (~1.5 in or so). It will need to be cut so that the foam provides a roof over the tailgate, but thin where the tailgate closes. Cross-section below....
>
> ________
> | |
> | (foam) | <--(lift gate side - clamshell)
> |____ | (glue this edge to lift gate)
> -----| |
> | || |
> ||=| |