PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Update PowerFLARM Portable Firmware

Dan Marotta
September 2nd 17, 06:57 PM
Hi All,

I have downloaded the most recent PowerFLARM firmware, filename:
pf_00cecdb_6_40_exp_1_Feb_2019.fw.Â* Per the instructions for micro SD
cards published on the FLARM website, I've attempted to update the
firmware three times as follows:

Copy the firmware file to the root level of the SD card
Insert the SD card
Apply power

My PF portable comes up quickly showing fw version 6.08.Â* There's no
30-second update time as mentioned in the instructions.Â* The
instructions say to interrupt power for at least 5 seconds after
inserting the card.Â* It seems to me that inserting the card in an
unpowered unit serves the same purpose.Â* Could that be why my unit won't
update?
--
Dan, 5J

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
September 2nd 17, 07:49 PM
On Sat, 02 Sep 2017 11:57:55 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:

> Copy the firmware file to the root level of the SD card Insert the SD
> card Apply power
>
> My PF portable comes up quickly showing fw version 6.08.Â* There's no
> 30-second update time as mentioned in the instructions.Â* The
> instructions say to interrupt power for at least 5 seconds after
> inserting the card.Â* It seems to me that inserting the card in an
> unpowered unit serves the same purpose.Â* Could that be why my unit won't
> update?

I did exactly that, only with the Classic FLARM 6.40 program and an LX
RedBox FLARM: because I always insert and remove the SD card with the
FLARM powered off. Mine did the install as soon as it was powered on: I
could see the power LED flashing red during the install and, in due
course that turned green and the unit lit the GPS LED red as it started
looking for a GPS signal.

Normally, with the SD slot empty, my power LED shows steady red while it
boots. Then the power LED turns green and the GPS LED lights up red to
show its looking for a GPS signal.

Is it possible that your PF portable didn't notice the SD card? It might
be worth cleaning its contacts before trying again.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Dave Nadler
September 2nd 17, 08:20 PM
On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 1:58:00 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have downloaded the most recent PowerFLARM firmware, filename:
> pf_00cecdb_6_40_exp_1_Feb_2019.fw.Â* Per the instructions for micro SD
> cards published on the FLARM website, I've attempted to update the
> firmware three times as follows:
>
> Copy the firmware file to the root level of the SD card
> Insert the SD card
> Apply power
>
> My PF portable comes up quickly showing fw version 6.08.Â* There's no
> 30-second update time as mentioned in the instructions.Â* The
> instructions say to interrupt power for at least 5 seconds after
> inserting the card.Â* It seems to me that inserting the card in an
> unpowered unit serves the same purpose.Â* Could that be why my unit won't
> update?
> --
> Dan, 5J

Reformat the SD card on Windows, copy just the FW onto the freshly
formatted card, and give it another try...

Dan Marotta
September 2nd 17, 10:54 PM
On my initial attempt I had a profile file installed on the SD card and
there was a message on the splash screen stating that the profile was
being updated, then no update to the firmware.Â* I removed the profile
file and tried again.Â* This time, the PF portable simply booted up.Â*
I'll try cleaning the contacts and, as Dave suggested, I'll also format
the SD card to FAT32 and install only the .fw file.Â* I should have
results tomorrow.

Dan

On 9/2/2017 12:49 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Sep 2017 11:57:55 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:
>
>> Copy the firmware file to the root level of the SD card Insert the SD
>> card Apply power
>>
>> My PF portable comes up quickly showing fw version 6.08.Â* There's no
>> 30-second update time as mentioned in the instructions.Â* The
>> instructions say to interrupt power for at least 5 seconds after
>> inserting the card.Â* It seems to me that inserting the card in an
>> unpowered unit serves the same purpose.Â* Could that be why my unit won't
>> update?
>>
> I did exactly that, only with the Classic FLARM 6.40 program and an LX
> RedBox FLARM: because I always insert and remove the SD card with the
> FLARM powered off. Mine did the install as soon as it was powered on: I
> could see the power LED flashing red during the install and, in due
> course that turned green and the unit lit the GPS LED red as it started
> looking for a GPS signal.
>
> Normally, with the SD slot empty, my power LED shows steady red while it
> boots. Then the power LED turns green and the GPS LED lights up red to
> show its looking for a GPS signal.
>
> Is it possible that your PF portable didn't notice the SD card? It might
> be worth cleaning its contacts before trying again.

--
Dan, 5J

September 2nd 17, 10:54 PM
Make sure the SD card is 32gb or smaller and is formatted FAT32. exFAT or NTFS will not be recognized by the PowerFlarm.

Robert

On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 12:58:00 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have downloaded the most recent PowerFLARM firmware, filename:
> pf_00cecdb_6_40_exp_1_Feb_2019.fw.Â* Per the instructions for micro SD
> cards published on the FLARM website, I've attempted to update the
> firmware three times as follows:
>
> Copy the firmware file to the root level of the SD card
> Insert the SD card
> Apply power
>
> My PF portable comes up quickly showing fw version 6.08.Â* There's no
> 30-second update time as mentioned in the instructions.Â* The
> instructions say to interrupt power for at least 5 seconds after
> inserting the card.Â* It seems to me that inserting the card in an
> unpowered unit serves the same purpose.Â* Could that be why my unit won't
> update?
> --
> Dan, 5J

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
September 2nd 17, 11:16 PM
"To err is human, to totally screw up requires a computer".
Sigh, instamatics and a Replogle was sometimes easier......

Dan Marotta
September 2nd 17, 11:29 PM
Finished all my Diamonds that way.Â* I think it *was* easier...

On 9/2/2017 4:16 PM, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
> "To err is human, to totally screw up requires a computer".
> Sigh, instamatics and a Replogle was sometimes easier......

--
Dan, 5J

Tango Eight
September 3rd 17, 02:14 PM
On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 6:16:50 PM UTC-4, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
> "To err is human, to totally screw up requires a computer".
> Sigh, instamatics and a Replogle was sometimes easier......

Charlie: yer outta date. On modern equipment, flight declaration, recording, subsequent evaluation is completely painless.

Flarm -should be- equally painless, in all respects. It isn't.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

September 3rd 17, 02:22 PM
Did you try going under "menu-info-update" to force it to look for the update?

Dan Marotta
September 3rd 17, 06:09 PM
I didn't see that option.Â* I'll look if the freshly formatted SD card
doesn't work.

On 9/3/2017 7:22 AM, wrote:
> Did you try going under "menu-info-update" to force it to look for the update?

--
Dan, 5J

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
September 3rd 17, 08:46 PM
Yeah, maybe.
Sent an email to you about R2N contest day I just flew. Really basic Cambridge, didn't overload my feeble mind......LOL.....

Dave Springford
September 4th 17, 02:27 AM
As I understand, the portable does not update when presented with a new FW on the SD card upon power up. You have to go into the menu and select the update FW item.

Dan Marotta
September 4th 17, 02:45 AM
Got it!

The freshly formatted SD card made no difference; boot up was as though
there was no card installed.Â* So, after it was up, I used the
Info/Update process, and that worked just fine.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Dan

On 9/2/2017 3:54 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
> On my initial attempt I had a profile file installed on the SD card
> and there was a message on the splash screen stating that the profile
> was being updated, then no update to the firmware.Â* I removed the
> profile file and tried again.Â* This time, the PF portable simply
> booted up.Â* I'll try cleaning the contacts and, as Dave suggested,
> I'll also format the SD card to FAT32 and install only the .fw file.Â*
> I should have results tomorrow.
>
> Dan
>
> On 9/2/2017 12:49 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> On Sat, 02 Sep 2017 11:57:55 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:
>>
>>> Copy the firmware file to the root level of the SD card Insert the SD
>>> card Apply power
>>>
>>> My PF portable comes up quickly showing fw version 6.08. There's no
>>> 30-second update time as mentioned in the instructions.Â* The
>>> instructions say to interrupt power for at least 5 seconds after
>>> inserting the card.Â* It seems to me that inserting the card in an
>>> unpowered unit serves the same purpose.Â* Could that be why my unit
>>> won't
>>> update?
>>>
>> I did exactly that, only with the Classic FLARM 6.40 program and an LX
>> RedBox FLARM: because I always insert and remove the SD card with the
>> FLARM powered off. Mine did the install as soon as it was powered on: I
>> could see the power LED flashing red during the install and, in due
>> course that turned green and the unit lit the GPS LED red as it started
>> looking for a GPS signal.
>>
>> Normally, with the SD slot empty, my power LED shows steady red while it
>> boots. Then the power LED turns green and the GPS LED lights up red to
>> show its looking for a GPS signal.
>>
>> Is it possible that your PF portable didn't notice the SD card? It might
>> be worth cleaning its contacts before trying again.

--
Dan, 5J

Google