PDA

View Full Version : Tape the pitot/static system during storage?

May 24th 18, 01:46 PM
Hi all.

From advice from another soaring pilot, I've been taping my pitot/static inlets with red electrical tape when I store my glider. This is done to keep bugs out during storage.

I started wondering if changes in air pressure could cause the airspeed and/or altimeter and/or vario calibrations to go out of whack.

Seeking knowledgeable opinions on this one.

Ben Ethridge

Jonathan St. Cloud
May 24th 18, 02:02 PM
I use a fuel filter with rubber tubing Keeps bugs out but air can move.

May 24th 18, 02:53 PM
I always plug my triple prope every time I remove the probe, because I have had "leaf-roller" bugs build a nest in one afternoon! Wings and Wheels sells a nice little plug with a red streamer attached to it.
For the guy with a ruptured diagram in his ASI, I would bet someone blew out the line with compressed air..............don't ask me how I know this to be the most probable cause?
JJ

Bob Kuykendall
May 24th 18, 10:34 PM
I remember watching Les Sebald clean a glass instrument lens out of the cockpit of a Grob. He was blowing the static system out with compressed air, and forgot to disconnect one of the instruments. Oopsie.

I doubt that there is much chance of harm from pressure changes while the static ports are taped over.

May 24th 18, 11:17 PM
On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 5:34:44 PM UTC-4, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
> I remember watching Les Sebald clean a glass instrument lens out of the cockpit of a Grob. He was blowing the static system out with compressed air, and forgot to disconnect one of the instruments. Oopsie.
>
> I doubt that there is much chance of harm from pressure changes while the static ports are taped over.

Some instruments, like Sage variometers are highly likely to be damaged by the pressure pulse of pulling tape off after a big pressure change. I know from experience.
One can tape statics so the top is protected from moisture while leaving a small "wrinkle" below that will allow breathing.
FWIW
UH

kirk.stant
May 25th 18, 01:59 AM
I made a Pitot cover for my LS6 (fin pitot) with a length of rubber tubing (medical type) that has some yaw string yarn inserted in it, and red tape wrapped around it to make it nice and visible. It is easy to slip over the pitot tube, and any critter would have to go a long way past the yarn to get to the tube.

No critters so far (had them in the past; went to the Grand Canyon once from Turf without any ASI or nav computer - but it was too good a day to pass up!)

OT, but when I leave my glider rigged in our hangar with the TE probe in, I slip on one of those red REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT banners that have a grommet at the end - which fits perfectly on my Ilec TE probe. Easy to see and helps prevent someone hitting the probe in a dark hangar and damaging the in-fin connector. Another reason for TE probes to point UP ;^)

Kirk
66

May 25th 18, 02:27 AM
Uli is correct about Sage variometers. To keep bugs out of my static, yet not exposing my expensive Sage CVA vario to pressure pulses, I covered each static port with a 1"x1" square of fabric and taped around the edges of the fabric.

May 25th 18, 06:27 PM
Band-aids have the fabric and adhesive already installed.
BV

May 25th 18, 06:36 PM
On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 1:27:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Band-aids have the fabric and adhesive already installed.
> BV

Sorry, that's a band-aid solution. :-)

May 25th 18, 10:29 PM
When I tape up the statics and triple probe socket for winter storage, I just prick the tape with a pin or knife point. I'm not sure it's necessary but I just don't want to worry about it.

Chip Bearden

June 4th 18, 12:18 PM
On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 5:29:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> When I tape up the statics and triple probe socket for winter storage, I just prick the tape with a pin or knife point. I'm not sure it's necessary but I just don't want to worry about it.
>
> Chip Bearden

I taped them all with my red 3M electrical tape and pricked the hole spot with a pin.

Thanks for all the tips!

Tango Whisky
June 5th 18, 07:19 AM
I 20 years, I've never taped the pitot, the glider sitting in its trailer.
Last week, I had to fly 8 hours across the Alps without an ASI reading - a solitary bee had dropped its eggs into my pitot tube and sealed them over...

Now I plug it after landing.
On the ground, pressure variations are +/- 30 mbar. Me going with a plugged ASI to 3500 m gives a pressure change *way* bigger than that didn't harm the instrument' it just read fine a couple of days later.

bumper[_4_]
June 5th 18, 09:13 PM
I used two short lengths of that day-glo orange string trimmer line, the stuff that has the grooved ridges. Fit in the fuselage static ports and doesn't seal them.

Google