PDA

View Full Version : Introduction to AMU spending

Jack Allison
May 2nd 05, 08:31 PM
The Arrow came out of the shop Friday at a cost just south of 2 AMUs.
Can you say "It's nice to have a 3-way partnership"? I sure did.

Nothing major but the minor stuff sure adds up quick:
- Installed Davtron chronometer (or first official upgrade as the old
analog clock was INOP)
- Swing the compass (didn't have a compass correction card)
- Oil change (would have done it ourselves last weekend but we needed a
socket extension). Also installed a quick drain.
- Install new door and baggage compartment seals. New door clevis pins
as well. No air leaks now!
- Service fuel selector since it was extremely stiff
- R&R landing light
- Found/fixed small hydraulic leak
- Re-key door and baggage compartment locks
- Check into potential JPI sensor issue with #1 cylinder (sporadic/high
EGT readings)

We could have saved a few bucks and done some of the work ourselves (and
will do so in the future) but opted to have the local shop take care of
everything at once.

It took a bit over a week as we needed to get a field approval from the
FSDO for the Davtron. Ah, welcome to FAA paperwork, eh?

Best of all, however, is the fact that we now have a hanger at our home
field (LHM). We'd been hangered at a different airport but it was just
under 2X the going rate at LHM (community "full service" style hanger).
Now, we're in a T-hanger at our final destination. Yea, I can now be
a hanger rat...in my own hanger :-)

I just finished logging my required 20 hours so I'm now legal to carry
passengers. It was an aviation filled weekend with two short cross
country flights and an instrument lesson. Man, this airplane
ownership thing rocks! :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Mark Hansen
May 2nd 05, 08:48 PM
On 5/2/2005 12:31, Jack Allison wrote:

> The Arrow came out of the shop Friday at a cost just south of 2 AMUs.
> Can you say "It's nice to have a 3-way partnership"? I sure did.

AMUs?

It sure sounds nice getting everything fixed. I'll bet that comes
with a really great feeling!

Especially getting the locks re-keyed. Now it really is *yours* :-)

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Student
Sacramento, CA

Jim Burns
May 2nd 05, 10:25 PM
AMU??? Adult Monitary Unit? Aviation Monitary Unit? as in $1000 per unit?
Jim

Montblack
May 3rd 05, 12:15 AM
("Jack Allison" wrote)
> Best of all, however, is the fact that we now have a hanger at our home
> field (LHM). We'd been hangered at a different airport but it was just
> under 2X the going rate at LHM (community "full service" style hanger).
> Now, we're in a T-hanger at our final destination. Yea, I can now be a
> hanger rat...in my own hanger :-)

Finally, hangar talk! <g>

How's your pad and taxiways, good shape?
Blacktop or cement out front?
How's your floor? Paintable or leave it as is?

Sliding door(s) or Bi-Fold?

Do you guys have water at the hangars?
ANE has a good sized "plane wash" cement pad (next to the tower) with water,
hoses, drains, etc. Very nice, and free to use.

Fridge and microwave installed yet?
Is there room for a picnic table out front? Airport allow that?

Any fun "Renovate My Hangar" plans ...or is it "Pimp My Hangar?"

Open wireless signal in the area - if you climb up on the roof? <g>

Very cool. Looking forward to the pics of your new home away from home :-)

Montblack

Jim Burns
May 3rd 05, 12:40 AM
Paul are you on that all caffeine and nicotine diet again? :)

"> Finally, hangar talk! <g>

> How's your pad and taxiways, good shape?
> Blacktop or cement out front?
> How's your floor? Paintable or leave it as is?
>
> Sliding door(s) or Bi-Fold?
>
> Do you guys have water at the hangars?
> ANE has a good sized "plane wash" cement pad (next to the tower) with
water,
> hoses, drains, etc. Very nice, and free to use.
>
> Fridge and microwave installed yet?
> Is there room for a picnic table out front? Airport allow that?
>
> Any fun "Renovate My Hangar" plans ...or is it "Pimp My Hangar?"
>
> Open wireless signal in the area - if you climb up on the roof? <g>
>
> Very cool. Looking forward to the pics of your new home away from home :-)
>

> Montblack

Jon Kraus
May 3rd 05, 12:48 AM
AMU = Aviation Monetary Unit

1 AMU = $1000.00

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
'79 Mooney 201

Mark Hansen wrote:

> On 5/2/2005 12:31, Jack Allison wrote:
>
>> The Arrow came out of the shop Friday at a cost just south of 2 AMUs.
>> Can you say "It's nice to have a 3-way partnership"? I sure did.
>

> AMUs?
>
> It sure sounds nice getting everything fixed. I'll bet that comes
> with a really great feeling!
>
> Especially getting the locks re-keyed. Now it really is *yours* :-)

Jon Kraus
May 3rd 05, 12:51 AM
Ahhhhh... Let the spending begin!! :-) When we first got 43H we
dropped 2 AMU's in it quickly too... Then we dropped 2 more... and so
on... and so on.... :-)

Now we're looking at our first annual at around 6 AMU's

Shhhhh... don't tell the wife!!! This airplane ownership stuff is
expensive!! :-) Welcome to the club Mr. Allison!!

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
'79 Mooney 201

Jack Allison wrote:

> The Arrow came out of the shop Friday at a cost just south of 2 AMUs.
> Can you say "It's nice to have a 3-way partnership"? I sure did.
>
> Nothing major but the minor stuff sure adds up quick:
> - Installed Davtron chronometer (or first official upgrade as the old
> analog clock was INOP)
> - Swing the compass (didn't have a compass correction card)
> - Oil change (would have done it ourselves last weekend but we needed a
> socket extension). Also installed a quick drain.
> - Install new door and baggage compartment seals. New door clevis pins
> as well. No air leaks now!
> - Service fuel selector since it was extremely stiff
> - R&R landing light
> - Found/fixed small hydraulic leak
> - Re-key door and baggage compartment locks
> - Check into potential JPI sensor issue with #1 cylinder (sporadic/high
> EGT readings)
>
> We could have saved a few bucks and done some of the work ourselves (and
> will do so in the future) but opted to have the local shop take care of
> everything at once.
>
> It took a bit over a week as we needed to get a field approval from the
> FSDO for the Davtron. Ah, welcome to FAA paperwork, eh?
>
> Best of all, however, is the fact that we now have a hanger at our home
> field (LHM). We'd been hangered at a different airport but it was just
> under 2X the going rate at LHM (community "full service" style hanger).
> Now, we're in a T-hanger at our final destination. Yea, I can now be a
> hanger rat...in my own hanger :-)
>
> I just finished logging my required 20 hours so I'm now legal to carry
> passengers. It was an aviation filled weekend with two short cross
> country flights and an instrument lesson. Man, this airplane
> ownership thing rocks! :-)

BTIZ
May 3rd 05, 02:32 AM
LOL.. that sounds a lot like 1 tow coupon... = $25 (glider speak)

BT

"Jon Kraus" > wrote in message
> AMU = Aviation Monetary Unit
>
> 1 AMU = $1000.00
>
> Jon Kraus
> PP-ASEL-IA
> '79 Mooney 201
>
> Mark Hansen wrote:
>
>> On 5/2/2005 12:31, Jack Allison wrote:
>>
>>> The Arrow came out of the shop Friday at a cost just south of 2 AMUs.
>>> Can you say "It's nice to have a 3-way partnership"? I sure did.
>>

>> AMUs?
>>
>> It sure sounds nice getting everything fixed. I'll bet that comes
>> with a really great feeling!
>>
>> Especially getting the locks re-keyed. Now it really is *yours* :-)

Jack Allison
May 3rd 05, 03:32 AM
Jim Burns wrote:

> AMU??? Adult Monitary Unit? Aviation Monitary Unit? as in $1000 per unit?
> Jim

Jim Jim Jim...me a newbie owner who knows what an AMU is and an old pro
like you that doesn't??? What's up with that? :-) Actually, you got
it right, Aviation Monetary Unit = $1000.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Jack Allison
May 3rd 05, 03:41 AM
<Snip Paul's rapid fire caffeine induced list of questions>

Yikes Paul, I'm tired reading the reply! :-)

Blacktop all around (taxiway, floor of the hanger...*everywhere*), good
shape. Sliding doors (it's a T-hanger), no water (or power), wash rack
(that's "plane wash cement pad" to you my non-owning friend) located 1/4
mile away (water, power, free to use...when the water is on), no
fridge/microwave (refer to earlier no power statement), no room for
picnic table but a few chairs and small card table are on the list of
improvements, haven't checked for wireless access (good idea
though...probably nothing available but I'll have to bring the laptop
out next time and see)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Jack Allison
May 3rd 05, 03:42 AM
I like the AMU thing. Makes the number seem so much smaller. 1, 2,
3...seems like nothing. Never mind the 1000 multiplier :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Montblack
May 3rd 05, 04:11 AM
("Jim Burns" wrote)
> Paul are you on that all caffeine and nicotine diet again? :)

1. Yes
2. No
3. Diet....???

It's like a "stream of consciousness*" sometimes isn't it?

(*sense perceptions mingle with conscious and half-conscious thoughts and
memories, experiences, feelings and random associations)

Montblack
Montblack
Montblack ...more Diet Coke please

jsmith
May 3rd 05, 01:06 PM
That's typical of low-wing hangars. Airplane parts get in the way of
usefull floor space.

Jack Allison wrote:
[snip]
.... no room for picnic table ...