PDA

View Full Version : Touch Up White Paint

O. Sami Saydjari
May 21st 05, 02:10 AM
I just noticed an area of exposed aluminum on my wing root, about the
size of a quarter. I am not sure how and when it got there. Exposed
aluminum seems like an inherently bad thing. Is there some good way to
do a do-it-yourself job of touching this up that is both effective at
protecting the wing and looks decent? My wing is white.

-Sami
N2057M, Piper Turbo Arrow

Clay
May 21st 05, 01:22 PM
Touch it up just like you would a car..
Make sure you use the same type and color of paint.
If it is a very small area, use a paper match or an air brush.

Tom Jackson
May 21st 05, 05:11 PM
This may help a little in matching color. I have a '74 Warrior, and the
white paint code (in Dupont Imron) is Juneau white H7848U.

The color can be cross-referenced into other types of paint by a local paint
dealer.

"O. Sami Saydjari" > wrote in message
>I just noticed an area of exposed aluminum on my wing root, about the size
>of a quarter. I am not sure how and when it got there. Exposed aluminum
>seems like an inherently bad thing. Is there some good way to do a
>do-it-yourself job of touching this up that is both effective at protecting
>the wing and looks decent? My wing is white.
>
> -Sami
> N2057M, Piper Turbo Arrow

Michelle P
May 22nd 05, 01:29 AM
Sami,
Need to answer what caused the paint to come off in the first place.
Impact? Corrosion? Touch up is simple. If you use spray products mask
off all the windows on that side.....
Michelle

O. Sami Saydjari wrote:

> I just noticed an area of exposed aluminum on my wing root, about the
> size of a quarter. I am not sure how and when it got there. Exposed
> aluminum seems like an inherently bad thing. Is there some good way
> to do a do-it-yourself job of touching this up that is both effective
> at protecting the wing and looks decent? My wing is white.
>
> -Sami
> N2057M, Piper Turbo Arrow

O. Sami Saydjari
May 23rd 05, 03:49 AM
Well, but how do I actually matach the paint color on my arrow? When
you say "local paint dealer", do you mean any local paint dealer (house
paints, etc.)...or does one have to go to an aviation paint dealer
(which we do not have in town)? What type of paint do I ask for?

-Sami

Tom Jackson wrote:

> This may help a little in matching color. I have a '74 Warrior, and the
> white paint code (in Dupont Imron) is Juneau white H7848U.
>

> The color can be cross-referenced into other types of paint by a local paint
> dealer.
>

> "O. Sami Saydjari" > wrote in message
>
>>I just noticed an area of exposed aluminum on my wing root, about the size
>>of a quarter. I am not sure how and when it got there. Exposed aluminum
>>seems like an inherently bad thing. Is there some good way to do a
>>do-it-yourself job of touching this up that is both effective at protecting
>>the wing and looks decent? My wing is white.
>>
>>-Sami
>>N2057M, Piper Turbo Arrow

George Patterson
May 23rd 05, 05:06 AM
O. Sami Saydjari wrote:
> Well, but how do I actually matach the paint color on my arrow?

Take an inspection cover plate off, clean it well, and take it to an auto paint
dealer (look in the phone book). They'll get you a close match.

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.

Stealth Pilot
May 23rd 05, 02:14 PM
On Mon, 23 May 2005 04:06:43 GMT, George Patterson
> wrote:

>O. Sami Saydjari wrote:
>> Well, but how do I actually matach the paint color on my arrow?
>
>Take an inspection cover plate off, clean it well, and take it to an auto paint
>dealer (look in the phone book). They'll get you a close match.

ahhh white paint.
did you know that there are 3,267,984 shades of white paint and they
all look different when sprayed beside or over each other.
I've got 7 shades of white paint on my aircraft.
.....and they're all white white :-)

Stealth Pilot

O. Sami Saydjari
May 29th 05, 02:25 PM
After talking to a mechanic about this, he suggested that it was likely
that the small spot was improperly primed when it was last painted. He
also said that he has *never* been about to get an exactly match to
white....and that with fading, even if it matches at first, it wont
match after a year. He suggested getting spray paint (enamel) from the
hardware store with a white that best matches to my eye...and then spray
paint it with some feathering into the surrounding area. Does anyone
think this is not a good idea?

-Sami

Michelle P wrote:

> Sami,
> Need to answer what caused the paint to come off in the first place.
> Impact? Corrosion? Touch up is simple. If you use spray products mask
> off all the windows on that side.....
> Michelle
>
> O. Sami Saydjari wrote:
>
>> I just noticed an area of exposed aluminum on my wing root, about the
>> size of a quarter. I am not sure how and when it got there. Exposed
>> aluminum seems like an inherently bad thing. Is there some good way
>> to do a do-it-yourself job of touching this up that is both effective
>> at protecting the wing and looks decent? My wing is white.
>>
>> -Sami
>> N2057M, Piper Turbo Arrow

Stealth Pilot
May 29th 05, 04:30 PM
On Sun, 29 May 2005 08:25:58 -0500, "O. Sami Saydjari"
> wrote:

>After talking to a mechanic about this, he suggested that it was likely
>that the small spot was improperly primed when it was last painted. He
>also said that he has *never* been about to get an exactly match to
>white....and that with fading, even if it matches at first, it wont
>match after a year. He suggested getting spray paint (enamel) from the
>hardware store with a white that best matches to my eye...and then spray
>paint it with some feathering into the surrounding area. Does anyone
>think this is not a good idea?
>
>-Sami

appliance white is used everywhere in just this way. :-)

I have a friend with a Thorp T18 who swears he will repaint in rattle
can white enamel so that he can touch up the paint easily before
flyins.

Stealth Pilot

Kyle Boatright
May 29th 05, 09:20 PM
"O. Sami Saydjari" > wrote in message
> After talking to a mechanic about this, he suggested that it was likely
> that the small spot was improperly primed when it was last painted. He
> also said that he has *never* been about to get an exactly match to
> white....and that with fading, even if it matches at first, it wont match
> after a year. He suggested getting spray paint (enamel) from the hardware
> store with a white that best matches to my eye...and then spray paint it
> with some feathering into the surrounding area. Does anyone think this is
> not a good idea?
>
> -Sami

Depending on how nice your airplane is, I'd pass on your mechanic's advise.
*Good* custom automotive painters can match almost any paint, and can blend
in the new paint well (or mask back to the next panel line). Sure, you
might see a slightly different fade rate, or the new paint may be a little
shinier than the old, but using the old eyeball match with rattle can paint
will leave you with a functional but *probably* ugly repair.

Depending on where you live, there may be someone who specializes in "on
airport" spot painting. I live in Atlanta, and have a buddy who makes good
money doing touch-up work on aircraft. He has a trailer with all of the
necessary equipment, paint, and pigments for color matching. He'll simply
drive to the airport, string some plastic around your airplane, mask, prep,
and spray small areas.

KB

Mike H
May 29th 05, 11:58 PM
Could you provide a name and email/phone of your buddy??
I have an Archer at RYY and it needs a little 'touch-up' that
is a bit more than I'd like to try. Overall, the paint is
good, but a bird strike took off some paint and the clear coat
is peeling a a couple of small places....

Thanks
Mike: (PA28-181 N44979 at RYY)

Kyle Boatright wrote:
> "O. Sami Saydjari" > wrote in message
>
>>After talking to a mechanic about this, he suggested that it was likely
>>that the small spot was improperly primed when it was last painted. He
>>also said that he has *never* been about to get an exactly match to
>>white....and that with fading, even if it matches at first, it wont match
>>after a year. He suggested getting spray paint (enamel) from the hardware
>>store with a white that best matches to my eye...and then spray paint it
>>with some feathering into the surrounding area. Does anyone think this is
>>not a good idea?
>>
>>-Sami
>

> Depending on how nice your airplane is, I'd pass on your mechanic's advise.
> *Good* custom automotive painters can match almost any paint, and can blend
> in the new paint well (or mask back to the next panel line). Sure, you
> might see a slightly different fade rate, or the new paint may be a little
> shinier than the old, but using the old eyeball match with rattle can paint
> will leave you with a functional but *probably* ugly repair.
>
> Depending on where you live, there may be someone who specializes in "on
> airport" spot painting. I live in Atlanta, and have a buddy who makes good
> money doing touch-up work on aircraft. He has a trailer with all of the
> necessary equipment, paint, and pigments for color matching. He'll simply
> drive to the airport, string some plastic around your airplane, mask, prep,
> and spray small areas.
>
> KB

Google