PDA

View Full Version : TBO and Overhaul Costs

O. Sami Saydjari
May 30th 05, 02:33 PM
Is there a website I can go to find out the TBO and overhaul costs of
any given engine? Right now, I am curious bout the GTSIO-520-L on a
Cessna 421C.

-Sami
N2057M

P.S. I thought I already posted this message, but it did not seem to
show up. Sorry if this is a duplicate.

A. Smith
May 30th 05, 02:40 PM
www.ramaircraft.com

RAM is a company that is dedicated to keeping the Twin Cessna line flying.
They did a lot of development early on (with Jack Riley Jr.) and are
commited to refining the engines to get the most performance and life out of
each engine as possible.

"O. Sami Saydjari" > wrote in message
> Is there a website I can go to find out the TBO and overhaul costs of any
> given engine? Right now, I am curious bout the GTSIO-520-L on a Cessna
> 421C.
>
> -Sami
> N2057M
>
> P.S. I thought I already posted this message, but it did not seem to show
> up. Sorry if this is a duplicate.

Nathan Young
May 30th 05, 02:54 PM
On Mon, 30 May 2005 08:33:15 -0500, "O. Sami Saydjari"
> wrote:

>Is there a website I can go to find out the TBO and overhaul costs of
>any given engine? Right now, I am curious bout the GTSIO-520-L on a
>Cessna 421C.

factoryengines.com

probably about $50k each to rebuild. There's a reason the high-end
twins are priced so lightly...

Michelle P
May 30th 05, 02:59 PM
Sami,
Do you get Aviation Consumer? They do aircraft reviews. They also have
an annual buying guide.
http://www.aviationconsumer.com/books/
Michelle

O. Sami Saydjari wrote:

> Is there a website I can go to find out the TBO and overhaul costs of
> any given engine? Right now, I am curious bout the GTSIO-520-L on a
> Cessna 421C.
>
> -Sami
> N2057M
>
> P.S. I thought I already posted this message, but it did not seem to
> show up. Sorry if this is a duplicate.

O. Sami Saydjari
May 30th 05, 04:21 PM
Michelle, Yes, I do...and the aurcraft reviews are really excellent.
They do not typically, though, list TBOs and engine overhaul costs. I
will check out that annual buying guide...I was not aware of that part.
Thanks.

By the way, planequest.com list operating costs for various aircraft.
Part of that is the "Hourly Engine reserve" which is presumably the
cost-to-overhaul / TBO.

-Sami

Michelle P wrote:

> Sami,
> Do you get Aviation Consumer? They do aircraft reviews. They also have
> an annual buying guide.
> http://www.aviationconsumer.com/books/
> Michelle
>
> O. Sami Saydjari wrote:
>
>> Is there a website I can go to find out the TBO and overhaul costs of
>> any given engine? Right now, I am curious bout the GTSIO-520-L on a
>> Cessna 421C.
>>
>> -Sami
>> N2057M
>>
>> P.S. I thought I already posted this message, but it did not seem to
>> show up. Sorry if this is a duplicate.

O. Sami Saydjari
May 30th 05, 04:29 PM
Excellent, thanks. Unfortunately, they do not seem to list TBOs. -Sami

Nathan Young wrote:

> On Mon, 30 May 2005 08:33:15 -0500, "O. Sami Saydjari"
> > wrote:
>

>>Is there a website I can go to find out the TBO and overhaul costs of
>>any given engine? Right now, I am curious bout the GTSIO-520-L on a
>>Cessna 421C.
>

> factoryengines.com
>
> probably about $50k each to rebuild. There's a reason the high-end
> twins are priced so lightly...

Blanche
May 30th 05, 04:31 PM
Overhaul and TBO are really related to 1) the shop doing the
overhaul and 2) how you're using the engine.

Altho Lycoming *strongly* suggests TBO of 2000 hours and/or 12
years, whichever comes first for an O360 (for example), that's
only written in stone for Part 135 & 121. Personal use of the
aircraft (Part 91) is not mandated by TBO.

Calling around for an overhaul on the O360 I got prices from
8K-15K.

Michelle P
May 30th 05, 04:52 PM
Sami,
Have you checked with your insurance company about your proposed
upgrade? Going from an Arrow to a 421 is a big jump. They may have
restrictions.
Michelle

O. Sami Saydjari wrote:

> Is there a website I can go to find out the TBO and overhaul costs of
> any given engine? Right now, I am curious bout the GTSIO-520-L on a
> Cessna 421C.
>
> -Sami
> N2057M
>
> P.S. I thought I already posted this message, but it did not seem to
> show up. Sorry if this is a duplicate.

O. Sami Saydjari
May 30th 05, 05:40 PM
Michelle,

Yes, I checked. After they stopped laughing, they gave me an outrageous
quote. My plan is to get my multiengine rating within the next month
and build some multiengine time before my purchase. I know this is not
an easy path.

-Sami

Michelle P wrote:

> Sami,
> Have you checked with your insurance company about your proposed
> upgrade? Going from an Arrow to a 421 is a big jump. They may have
> restrictions.
> Michelle
>
> O. Sami Saydjari wrote:
>
>> Is there a website I can go to find out the TBO and overhaul costs of
>> any given engine? Right now, I am curious bout the GTSIO-520-L on a
>> Cessna 421C.
>>
>> -Sami
>> N2057M
>>
>> P.S. I thought I already posted this message, but it did not seem to
>> show up. Sorry if this is a duplicate.

Rip
May 30th 05, 06:02 PM
Continental has all of the tech specs (including TBO)for their engines
at their web sire
www.tcmlink.com

Rip

O. Sami Saydjari wrote:
> Is there a website I can go to find out the TBO and overhaul costs of
> any given engine? Right now, I am curious bout the GTSIO-520-L on a
> Cessna 421C.
>
> -Sami
> N2057M
>
> P.S. I thought I already posted this message, but it did not seem to
> show up. Sorry if this is a duplicate.

A. Smith
May 30th 05, 07:15 PM
"O. Sami Saydjari" > wrote in message
> Is there a website I can go to find out the TBO and overhaul costs of any
> given engine? Right now, I am curious bout the GTSIO-520-L on a Cessna
> 421C.
>
> -Sami
> N2057M

The TCM GTSIO-520-L as overhauled by any reputable overhauler or as a
factory reman has a 1,600 hour TBO. The later Cessna 421C models (those
with trailing link landing gear) had GTSIO-520-N engines, similiar to the -L
but with a different fuel system. They are a little more expensive to
overhaul for that reason.

The Cessna 421B (tip tank model) has the GTSIO-520-H engine. Early ones had
a 1,400 hour TBO, later ones with better cylinders have a 1,600 hour TBO.
All the Cessna 421's are rated at 375 HP/engine.
Allen

Mike Rapoport
May 31st 05, 01:55 AM
"O. Sami Saydjari" > wrote in message
> Michelle,
>
> Yes, I checked. After they stopped laughing, they gave me an outrageous
> quote. My plan is to get my multiengine rating within the next month and
> build some multiengine time before my purchase. I know this is not an
> easy path.
>
> -Sami

You should plan on not being able to insure the hull. It is exceedingly
unlikely that you will fly enough hours in a rented twin to get insurance in
a big pressurized one. What was the quote that they gave you and what
were the requirements?

Mike
MU-2

Montblack
May 31st 05, 05:00 AM
("A. Smith" wrote)
> The TCM GTSIO-520-L as overhauled by any reputable overhauler or as a
> factory reman has a 1,600 hour TBO. The later Cessna 421C models (those
> with trailing link landing gear) had GTSIO-520-N engines, similiar to
> the -L but with a different fuel system. They are a little more expensive
> to overhaul for that reason.

G-T-S?

Montblack

Allen
May 31st 05, 02:23 PM
"Montblack" > wrote in message
> ("A. Smith" wrote)
>> The TCM GTSIO-520-L as overhauled by any reputable overhauler or as a
>> factory reman has a 1,600 hour TBO. The later Cessna 421C models (those
>> with trailing link landing gear) had GTSIO-520-N engines, similiar to
>> the -L but with a different fuel system. They are a little more
>> expensive to overhaul for that reason.
>

> G-T-S?

Geared-Turbo-Supercharged, The crankshaft turns at 3,350 RPM at take-off
while the propeller turns 2,235 RPM.

Allen

Darrel Toepfer
May 31st 05, 02:36 PM
Montblack wrote:
> ("A. Smith" wrote)
>
>> The TCM GTSIO-520-L
>
> G-T-S?

Geared - Turbocharged - S (Case type I think) - Injected - Opposed

http://tcmlink.com/EngSpecSheetDocs/GTSIO520L.pdf
http://tcmlink.com/EngSpecSheetDocs/GTSIO520L.doc

Paul kgyy
June 7th 05, 02:33 PM
Sami, if you're thinking of upgrading to a twin, take a look at Mike
Busch's article on Annual Inspections in this week's Avweb.

Google