PDA

View Full Version : Sun Visor Replacement

June 22nd 05, 06:55 PM
I bought a set of Rosen sun visors for my Skyhawk about 6 years ago. I
hit some turbulence that slammed my head against the cockpit ceiling
and my headset smashed the visor. These were about $250 for the set.

Now I want to replace the broken one, and (of course) Sporty's will
ONLY sell the pair for another $250 . . . no way will they sell me just
the one I need.

I can't even find a Rosen site on the web (maybe my Google skills are
deficient).

Any ideas on where I can find JUST one sun visor (side loading for
Skyhawk)?

Dave Butler
June 22nd 05, 07:00 PM
wrote:

> I can't even find a Rosen site on the web (maybe my Google skills are
> deficient).

Maybe. http://www.rosenvisor.com/

Ron Natalie
June 22nd 05, 07:29 PM
wrote:
> I bought a set of Rosen sun visors for my Skyhawk about 6 years ago. I
> hit some turbulence that slammed my head against the cockpit ceiling
> and my headset smashed the visor. These were about $250 for the set.

www.rosenvisor.com.

I shut the canopy on one of mine and Margy did the other. Rosen wants
a lot of money for replacement blades. I'm thinking about running down
to the local plexiglass supplier and just getting stuff to fabricate
them myself. The arms are fine.

June 22nd 05, 09:02 PM
LOL . . . yup . . . there it is. Will let you know what happens . . .

CDP_bayarea
June 22nd 05, 09:20 PM
I've been trying to do a few cosmetic fix-ups on a Cherokee 140 that I
bought a share of a few months ago. Sun Visors were on the list (I had
the arms but no plexiglass).

Yesterday I ordered the replacement lenses from Vantage Plane Plastics
(www.planeplastics.com/visors_rparts.asp) each lens was $69.14 (plus
shipping).

Obviously they haven't arrived yet so I can't vouch for their product &
service. But they are the only people I found to sell the lenses
seperately from the whole assembly.

Chris Plona
N9527W at KHWD

john smith
June 23rd 05, 12:15 AM
Ron Natalie wrote:
> I shut the canopy on one of mine and Margy did the other. Rosen wants
> a lot of money for replacement blades. I'm thinking about running down
> to the local plexiglass supplier and just getting stuff to fabricate
> them myself. The arms are fine.

If you are going to do that, get LEXAN instead of Plexilass.

Matt Barrow
June 23rd 05, 03:08 AM
oups.com...

http://www.rosenvisor.com/

Try these guys: http://planeplastics.com/visors_rosen.asp

--
Matt
---------------------

RST Engineering
June 23rd 05, 03:46 AM
www.tapplastics.com

Jim

> Any ideas on where I can find JUST one sun visor (side loading for
> Skyhawk)?

tony roberts
June 23rd 05, 06:05 AM
Hi Rosspilot

I know that right now you are shopping for sun visors,
but did you ever consider shopping for shoulder belts?
It saves a bundle on sun visors - plus your rescuers don't have such a
mess to clean up! - Hopefully :):):)

WTIW

Tony
C-GICE

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

In article . com>,
" > wrote:

> I bought a set of Rosen sun visors for my Skyhawk about 6 years ago. I
> hit some turbulence that slammed my head against the cockpit ceiling
> and my headset smashed the visor. These were about $250 for the set.
>
> Now I want to replace the broken one, and (of course) Sporty's will
> ONLY sell the pair for another $250 . . . no way will they sell me just
> the one I need.
>
> I can't even find a Rosen site on the web (maybe my Google skills are
> deficient).
>
> Any ideas on where I can find JUST one sun visor (side loading for
> Skyhawk)?

Jon Kraus
June 23rd 05, 12:19 PM
When I replaced the landing-light cover on our Mooney I was looking for
Lexan to use. All the home stores Lowes, Menards, Home Depot ect had
plexiglass and no Lexan.

Just where do you find sheets of Lexan? Inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks!!

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201

john smith wrote:
> Ron Natalie wrote:
>
>> I shut the canopy on one of mine and Margy did the other. Rosen wants
>> a lot of money for replacement blades. I'm thinking about running down
>> to the local plexiglass supplier and just getting stuff to fabricate
>> them myself. The arms are fine.
>

> If you are going to do that, get LEXAN instead of Plexilass.

June 23rd 05, 12:37 PM
<<I know that right now you are shopping for sun visors,
but did you ever consider shopping for shoulder belts?
It saves a bundle on sun visors - plus your rescuers don't have such a
mess to clean up! - Hopefully :):):) >>

I have 4 point inertial shoulder harnesses that I had installed 6 years
ago. They were almost $2000. They seem to work to arrest forward
motion sudden stop, but don't stop vertical motion. Seems like an
old-fashioned lap belt would work.

Viperdoc
June 23rd 05, 12:57 PM
As I recall, a set of new blades was only around $30.00 at Oshkosh last
year.

Ron Natalie
June 23rd 05, 01:28 PM
john smith wrote:
> Ron Natalie wrote:
>
>> I shut the canopy on one of mine and Margy did the other. Rosen wants
>> a lot of money for replacement blades. I'm thinking about running down
>> to the local plexiglass supplier and just getting stuff to fabricate
>> them myself. The arms are fine.
>

> If you are going to do that, get LEXAN instead of Plexilass.

That might keep them from shattering when I slam the canopy on them,
but the acrylic will not scratch as badly.

Ron Natalie
June 23rd 05, 01:29 PM
Viperdoc wrote:
> As I recall, a set of new blades was only around $30.00 at Oshkosh last
> year.

Not from Rosen, they wanted almost as much for a single blade as I paid
for the visors originally.

Mike Rapoport
June 23rd 05, 02:23 PM
There was a place in Los Angeles called Tap Plastics that had Lexan. Try
the yellow pages under plastic. Aircraft Spruce also has it.

Mike
MU-2

"Jon Kraus" > wrote in message
> When I replaced the landing-light cover on our Mooney I was looking for
> Lexan to use. All the home stores Lowes, Menards, Home Depot ect had
> plexiglass and no Lexan.
>
> Just where do you find sheets of Lexan? Inquiring minds want to know.
> Thanks!!
>
> Jon Kraus
> '79 Mooney 201
>
> john smith wrote:
>> Ron Natalie wrote:
>>
>>> I shut the canopy on one of mine and Margy did the other. Rosen wants
>>> a lot of money for replacement blades. I'm thinking about running down
>>> to the local plexiglass supplier and just getting stuff to fabricate
>>> them myself. The arms are fine.
>>

>> If you are going to do that, get LEXAN instead of Plexilass.

jsmith
June 23rd 05, 03:08 PM
Jon Kraus wrote:
> Just where do you find sheets of Lexan? Inquiring minds want to know.

Cadillac Plastics is where I used to get it when I lived in Cincinnati.

RST Engineering
June 23rd 05, 03:13 PM
Ron ...

You can send TAP Plastics the old one (or just a drawing if you like) and
they will fabricate a new one for about a quarter to a tenth of what you
would pay Rosen for a replacement. Not only that, but you can specify what
% light transmission you want if you want a darker or lighter shade.

www.tapplastics.com

Jim

"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
> john smith wrote:
>> Ron Natalie wrote:
>>
>>> I shut the canopy on one of mine and Margy did the other. Rosen wants
>>> a lot of money for replacement blades. I'm thinking about running down
>>> to the local plexiglass supplier and just getting stuff to fabricate
>>> them myself. The arms are fine.
>>

>> If you are going to do that, get LEXAN instead of Plexilass.
>
> That might keep them from shattering when I slam the canopy on them,
> but the acrylic will not scratch as badly.

June 23rd 05, 08:34 PM
Jon,
Last fall, we were shopping for plexiglass to build a cockpit
console and found both Lexan (polycarbonate) and plexiglass (acrylic,
polymethyl methacrylate) at HomeDepot. If it was not on the shell,
they may order it for you.
Aircraftspruce also sells Lexan
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/lexan.php

Javier Henderson
June 23rd 05, 08:52 PM
"Mike Rapoport" > writes:

> There was a place in Los Angeles called Tap Plastics that had Lexan. Try
> the yellow pages under plastic. Aircraft Spruce also has it.

http://www.tapplastics.com/

-jav

Ron Natalie
June 23rd 05, 09:26 PM
Jon Kraus wrote:
> When I replaced the landing-light cover on our Mooney I was looking for
> Lexan to use. All the home stores Lowes, Menards, Home Depot ect had
> plexiglass and no Lexan.

Home Depot hear has lexan. I bought a small 4x6" piece even to replace
some glass around the house. They had larger. What they only have is
clear which is sort of silly for a sunvisor.

RST Engineering
June 23rd 05, 10:16 PM
Black paint?

Jim

"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message

> Home Depot hear has lexan. I bought a small 4x6" piece even to replace
> some glass around the house. They had larger. What they only have is
> clear which is sort of silly for a sunvisor.

Jon Kraus
June 23rd 05, 11:40 PM
Maybe a thin coat of green paint would work too?

Jon Kraus

RST Engineering wrote:
> Black paint?
>
> Jim
>

> "Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
>

>>Home Depot hear has lexan. I bought a small 4x6" piece even to replace
>>some glass around the house. They had larger. What they only have is
>>clear which is sort of silly for a sunvisor.

Viperdoc
June 24th 05, 12:28 AM
I distinctly remember the two green plastic replacement visors for my Baron
selling for around $50.00 a pair directly from Rosen. Didn't go for it since
the ones I had were in good shape.

June 24th 05, 01:18 PM
Update-I called Vantage Plane Plastics and explained what I needed. I
scanned the broken visor and sent the image and dimensions to them and
they were able to identify the manufacturer (it isn't a Rosen product).
They called the manufacturer for me and were told that they were no
permitted to sell them as singles--had to sell as a pair. But they
said they could provide a blank piece of the same plastic, cut to the
size I need, and all I have to do is drill the holes. No charge.

Ron Natalie
June 24th 05, 01:27 PM
Viperdoc wrote:
> I distinctly remember the two green plastic replacement visors for my Baron
> selling for around $50.00 a pair directly from Rosen. Didn't go for it since
> the ones I had were in good shape.

I'll have to check again. The ones in my plane were actually 310
visors (Rosen doesn't make Navion visors, but after discussing the
various mounting options, they were the closest).

John Clonts
June 25th 05, 04:51 PM
> wrote in message ups.com...
> Update-I called Vantage Plane Plastics and explained what I needed. I
> scanned the broken visor and sent the image and dimensions to them and
> they were able to identify the manufacturer (it isn't a Rosen product).
> They called the manufacturer for me and were told that they were no
> permitted to sell them as singles--had to sell as a pair. But they
> said they could provide a blank piece of the same plastic, cut to the
> size I need, and all I have to do is drill the holes. No charge.

Awesome! What manufacturer was it?

--
Cheers,
John Clonts

June 27th 05, 03:38 PM
Update:

In today's mail was the replacement lucite piece . . . Vantage Plane
Plastics enclosed a copy of their fax to the manufacturer . . . the
entire replacement was done at no charge . . . not even shipping. I
will only have to do some careful drilling to resolve this entire
episode. I could not be any more pleased and satisfied. Vantage Plane
Plastics gets ALL my business from now on for anything I need that they
supply.

Google