PDA

View Full Version : Oshkosh 2005 pictures up

August 10th 05, 08:50 AM
Alright, I realize that Oshkosh is so very last week, but with my drive home
to Southern California and going back to work it's taken me until now to
weed through all 1992 pictures I took.

I weeded them down to 539... obviously not all of them are interesting but
at least they're broken up into categories, including the rec.aviation.*
party at Jay's, so hopefully they're at least enjoyable.

Being my first Airventure, this was one of the most incredible things I've
ever experienced. Next July won't come early enough.

http://www.togo84.com/picturearchives/Oshkosh_2005/Highlights/Oshkosh_Highlights.htm

-Tony Goetz
......349 days, 348 days, 347 days.....

Jim Burns
August 10th 05, 01:42 PM
Tony,
Your "unidentified small town" in Wisconsin on the way to OSH, is Wautoma,
where Mike Crowell crashed. Also known as the town with the Ercoupe on the
gas station roof.
Jim

> wrote in message
> Alright, I realize that Oshkosh is so very last week, but with my drive
home
> to Southern California and going back to work it's taken me until now to
> weed through all 1992 pictures I took.
>
> I weeded them down to 539... obviously not all of them are interesting but
> at least they're broken up into categories, including the rec.aviation.*
> party at Jay's, so hopefully they're at least enjoyable.
>
> Being my first Airventure, this was one of the most incredible things I've
> ever experienced. Next July won't come early enough.

http://www.togo84.com/picturearchives/Oshkosh_2005/Highlights/Oshkosh_Highlights.htm

> -Tony Goetz
> .....349 days, 348 days, 347 days.....

Jay Honeck
August 10th 05, 04:38 PM
Great pix, Tony! I really like the "panoramic sunset" over the Warbird
area...

South Africa hosted a party? In Camp Scholler?

What's the story with that?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jack Allison
August 10th 05, 08:59 PM
Nice pictures Tony...but...man, driving from CA to OSH and back? Wow,
*that's* dedication. I'm a whimp, I fly. Hehe, way more fun too, even
from Northern CA :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

August 10th 05, 10:29 PM
Jim Burns pointed out,
> Tony,
> Your "unidentified small town" in Wisconsin on the way to OSH, is Wautoma,
> where Mike Crowell crashed. Also known as the town with the Ercoupe on
the
> gas station roof.
> Jim

Ah yes. Thanks Jim! I couldn't remember where I took the shot, I just knew I
liked it.

-Tony Goetz

August 10th 05, 10:41 PM
Jay said,
> Great pix, Tony! I really like the "panoramic sunset" over the Warbird
> area...
>
> South Africa hosted a party? In Camp Scholler?
>
> What's the story with that?
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Thanks for the kind words, Jay! Those sunset shots were frustrating -
everywhere I looked was another photo waiting to be taken. The ones I got
turned out pretty well though, if I do say so myself...

Regarding the South Africa party, on Friday night as I walked back to camp I
heard music off in the distance and figured someone must have had karaoke
set up or something. Others were projecting movies on the side of their RVs,
which was pretty cool. Saturday night I sought out an electrical outlet so I
could run my laptop and transfer some pictures over from the camera. Off I
went into the camp, and after about 10 minutes I heard music again. What the
hell, I thought - I'll see what's happening. I walked over and saw that it
wasn't just karaoke, it was a giant party being held at a small first aid
station (or whatever that small shack was). As you can see in the pictures,
it was really decked out. They had an amplifier and were blasting the live
music. A short ways away they had a bonfire going and a massive BBQ.

Two people in charge of evening activities at the EAA were there for the
show and I asked them what the deal was. Apparently these guys from South
Africa make the trek every year and throw this huge party. The food looked
good (I was a bit late to try it out), the music was absolutely great, and
the atmosphere was...well, it was uniquely Camp Scholler I guess. The guy
playing guitar and singing covered quite a few tunes in the short while I
was there. I'll even admit to being moved by his rendition of John Denver
songs (okay, so Denver isn't that bad, just cliche!).

All in all, it looked like a really great time. I wish I had discovered it
earlier in the evening/week. I'll surely catch it next year.

-Tony Goetz

August 10th 05, 10:48 PM
Jack Allison wrote
> Nice pictures Tony...but...man, driving from CA to OSH and back? Wow,
> *that's* dedication. I'm a whimp, I fly. Hehe, way more fun too, even
> from Northern CA :-)
>

> --
> Jack Allison
> PP-ASEL-IA Student
> Arrow N2104T

One of these days Jack...! Hopefully by next year I'll have my plane
finished. I'm building a Stits Flutterbug at Flabob Airport here in So. Cal.
That may be wishful thinking though. As for this year, the promise of White
Knight, SpaceShipOne, Global Flyer, Glacier Girl, Fifi (until the last
minute), all the forums, and the fact that it's simply the greatest place on
Earth made me have to go by any means necessary. Besides, who doesn't love
road trips? 2800 miles each way, going down I-10 through Tucson to drop a
friend off, seeing the country, stopping to see family for a free meal and
bed, the amazement of my first Oshkosh, and the experience of Scholler. Was
it worth it? I think we already know the answer to that!

Of course, now I'm hooked on the experience. I have an annual trip I'll have
to take every summer.

My name is Tony, and I'm addicted to aviation.

-Tony Goetz

Dave Stadt
August 10th 05, 10:54 PM
> wrote in message
> Jay said,
> > Great pix, Tony! I really like the "panoramic sunset" over the Warbird
> > area...
> >
> > South Africa hosted a party? In Camp Scholler?
> >
> > What's the story with that?
> > --
> > Jay Honeck
> > Iowa City, IA
> > Pathfinder N56993
> > www.AlexisParkInn.com
> > "Your Aviation Destination"
> >

> Thanks for the kind words, Jay! Those sunset shots were frustrating -
> everywhere I looked was another photo waiting to be taken. The ones I got
> turned out pretty well though, if I do say so myself...
>
> Regarding the South Africa party, on Friday night as I walked back to camp
> heard music off in the distance and figured someone must have had karaoke
> set up or something. Others were projecting movies on the side of their
RVs,
> which was pretty cool. Saturday night I sought out an electrical outlet so
> could run my laptop and transfer some pictures over from the camera. Off I
> went into the camp, and after about 10 minutes I heard music again. What
the
> hell, I thought - I'll see what's happening. I walked over and saw that it
> wasn't just karaoke, it was a giant party being held at a small first aid
> station (or whatever that small shack was). As you can see in the
pictures,
> it was really decked out. They had an amplifier and were blasting the live
> music. A short ways away they had a bonfire going and a massive BBQ.
>
> Two people in charge of evening activities at the EAA were there for the
> show and I asked them what the deal was. Apparently these guys from South
> Africa make the trek every year and throw this huge party. The food looked
> good (I was a bit late to try it out), the music was absolutely great, and
> the atmosphere was...well, it was uniquely Camp Scholler I guess. The guy
> playing guitar and singing covered quite a few tunes in the short while I
> was there. I'll even admit to being moved by his rendition of John Denver
> songs (okay, so Denver isn't that bad, just cliche!).
>
> All in all, it looked like a really great time. I wish I had discovered it
> earlier in the evening/week. I'll surely catch it next year.
>

> -Tony Goetz

The South African contingent has been camping in the same spot for several
years that I know of. They have their own small building with
communications capability back home and other very civilized amenities.
Next year you should try to make it to Swine Fest or however they spell it.
It involves a slow cooked dead animal and other culinary delights. It is
held pretty close to where the South Africans camp.

Blueskies
August 11th 05, 02:03 AM
> wrote in message ...
> Alright, I realize that Oshkosh is so very last week, but with my drive home
> to Southern California and going back to work it's taken me until now to
> weed through all 1992 pictures I took.
>
> I weeded them down to 539... obviously not all of them are interesting but
> at least they're broken up into categories, including the rec.aviation.*
> party at Jay's, so hopefully they're at least enjoyable.
>
> Being my first Airventure, this was one of the most incredible things I've
> ever experienced. Next July won't come early enough.
>
> http://www.togo84.com/picturearchives/Oshkosh_2005/Highlights/Oshkosh_Highlights.htm
>

> -Tony Goetz
> .....349 days, 348 days, 347 days.....

Great set of shots - Thanks!

August 11th 05, 02:21 AM
Dave Stadt said
> > Two people in charge of evening activities at the EAA were there for the
> > show and I asked them what the deal was. Apparently these guys from
South
> > Africa make the trek every year and throw this huge party. The food
looked
> > good (I was a bit late to try it out), the music was absolutely great,
and
> > the atmosphere was...well, it was uniquely Camp Scholler I guess. The
guy
> > playing guitar and singing covered quite a few tunes in the short while
> > was there. I'll even admit to being moved by his rendition of John
Denver
> > songs (okay, so Denver isn't that bad, just cliche!).
> >
> > All in all, it looked like a really great time. I wish I had discovered
it
> > earlier in the evening/week. I'll surely catch it next year.
> >

> The South African contingent has been camping in the same spot for several
> years that I know of. They have their own small building with
> communications capability back home and other very civilized amenities.
> Next year you should try to make it to Swine Fest or however they spell
it.
> It involves a slow cooked dead animal and other culinary delights. It is
> held pretty close to where the South Africans camp.

I was wondering what the building was. I just assumed it was something the
airport had put up. How do they get all the stuff over here? Do they ship it
on ahead of them and then fly over commercially? I'll hit up Swine Fest next
year. I'll be doing a lot more exploring in Scholler to seek out the night
life. This year I was a newbie and would be out on the flightline from
morning till 11pm, by which time I just wanted to rest.

-Tony Goetz

Dave Stadt
August 11th 05, 05:01 AM
> wrote in message
> Dave Stadt said
> > > Two people in charge of evening activities at the EAA were there for
the
> > > show and I asked them what the deal was. Apparently these guys from
> South
> > > Africa make the trek every year and throw this huge party. The food
> looked
> > > good (I was a bit late to try it out), the music was absolutely great,
> and
> > > the atmosphere was...well, it was uniquely Camp Scholler I guess. The
> guy
> > > playing guitar and singing covered quite a few tunes in the short
while
> > > was there. I'll even admit to being moved by his rendition of John
> Denver
> > > songs (okay, so Denver isn't that bad, just cliche!).
> > >
> > > All in all, it looked like a really great time. I wish I had
discovered
> it
> > > earlier in the evening/week. I'll surely catch it next year.
> > >

> > The South African contingent has been camping in the same spot for
several
> > years that I know of. They have their own small building with
> > communications capability back home and other very civilized amenities.
> > Next year you should try to make it to Swine Fest or however they spell
> it.
> > It involves a slow cooked dead animal and other culinary delights. It
is
> > held pretty close to where the South Africans camp.
>

> I was wondering what the building was. I just assumed it was something the
> airport had put up. How do they get all the stuff over here? Do they ship
it
> on ahead of them and then fly over commercially? I'll hit up Swine Fest
next
> year. I'll be doing a lot more exploring in Scholler to seek out the night
> life. This year I was a newbie and would be out on the flightline from
> morning till 11pm, by which time I just wanted to rest.
>
> -Tony Goetz

Don't know any logistical details but it would appear they buy matching
tents by the dozen. They do know how to have a good time.

Jim Burns
August 11th 05, 05:09 AM
I seem to have a few foggy memories of Tilly's Bar. :)
Jim

> wrote in message
> Jim Burns pointed out,
> > Tony,
> > Your "unidentified small town" in Wisconsin on the way to OSH, is
Wautoma,
> > where Mike Crowell crashed. Also known as the town with the Ercoupe on
> the
> > gas station roof.
> > Jim
>
> Ah yes. Thanks Jim! I couldn't remember where I took the shot, I just knew
> liked it.
>
> -Tony Goetz

August 11th 05, 05:11 AM
"Dave Stadt" wrote...
> > I was wondering what the building was. I just assumed it was something
the
> > airport had put up. How do they get all the stuff over here? Do they
ship it
> > on ahead of them and then fly over commercially?
> Don't know any logistical details but it would appear they buy matching
> tents by the dozen. They do know how to have a good time.

Well, no argument there....

-Tony Goetz

August 11th 05, 08:31 AM
> > > The South African contingent has been camping in the same spot for
several
> > > years that I know of. They have their own small building with
> > > communications capability back home and other very civilized
amenities.
> > > Next year you should try to make it to Swine Fest or however they
spell
> > > it. It involves a slow cooked dead animal and other culinary delights.
It
> > > is held pretty close to where the South Africans camp.

Out of curiosity, did anyone here in rec.aviation land happen to record
audio and/or video of the guy playing guitar at the South Africa camp,
whether this year or a previous year? I especially liked his rendition of
"Country Roads" this year ("...you can have virginia, we've got Oshkosh,
take me home country roads...."). I'd be more than happy to reimburse for
A/V tape and shipping if someone can help me out. I'd like to show friends
and family - it has more impact than just explaining it.

Worth a shot....
thanks!

-Tony Goetz

August 11th 05, 03:11 PM
In rec.aviation.owning wrote:

> Out of curiosity, did anyone here in rec.aviation land happen to record
> audio and/or video of the guy playing guitar at the South Africa camp,
> whether this year or a previous year? I especially liked his rendition of
> "Country Roads" this year ("...you can have virginia, we've got Oshkosh,
> take me home country roads...."). I'd be more than happy to reimburse for
> A/V tape and shipping if someone can help me out. I'd like to show friends
> and family - it has more impact than just explaining it.

Yes! I, too would appreciate a tape (or a transcription of the words).

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com WEB http://users.frii.com/jer/

Jack Allison
August 11th 05, 08:45 PM
wrote:

> Of course, now I'm hooked on the experience. I have an annual trip I'll have
> to take every summer.
hehe...I'll bet you started planning next year about the third day of
the show this year. Um...don't ask me how I know that...pure
speculation...um, sort of :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student
Arrow N2104T

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

August 12th 05, 02:21 AM
> > Of course, now I'm hooked on the experience. I have an annual trip I'll
have
> > to take every summer.
> hehe...I'll bet you started planning next year about the third day of
> the show this year. Um...don't ask me how I know that...pure
> speculation...um, sort of :-)
>
> --
> Jack Allison

What makes you think I waited that long? The minute I got out of the LA area
by car, I knew I had the perfect excuse for a summer road trip every year.
That is, until I get my flying contraption built and in the air.

Oh how I love this flying nonsense!

-Tony

Jay Honeck
August 12th 05, 04:22 AM
> Oh how I love this flying nonsense!

Oh, Tony -- I'm so sorry.

Does your family know you've got the aviation, uh, you know?

;-)

(It's incurable, you know -- thank goodness!)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

August 12th 05, 04:38 AM
> > Oh how I love this flying nonsense!
>
> Oh, Tony -- I'm so sorry.
>
> Does your family know you've got the aviation, uh, you know?
>
> ;-)
>
> (It's incurable, you know -- thank goodness!)
> --
> Jay Honeck

Know?! It's genetic! I've had it since birth, and my dad before me, and his
dad too!

-Tony Goetz

Jay Honeck
August 12th 05, 05:14 AM
> You know, if a gang regularly went to OSH camping, they could get all of
> the
> stuff they need every year, and rent one of those small climate controlled
> storage units, and just go and get their stuff when they get there, and
> put
> if back when they leave. It would be a good way to have a lot of luxury
> stuff, without having to deal with shipping, or packing every year.

Wow, that's almost creepy, Jim. Mary and I were just talking about how
great it would be if someone would build a gazillion of those stupid storage
units (basically glorified miniature garages) on Wittman Field.

I'm sure hundreds (thousands?) of us would rent them for the whole year,
just so we'd have a place to store all the stuff we bring to (and from) OSH
each year.

I'm surprised EAA hasn't jumped on this as a money-making proposition.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Dave Stadt
August 12th 05, 05:17 AM
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "Dave Stadt" > wrote
> >
> > Don't know any logistical details but it would appear they buy matching
> > tents by the dozen. They do know how to have a good time.
>
> You know, if a gang regularly went to OSH camping, they could get all of
the
> stuff they need every year, and rent one of those small climate controlled
> storage units, and just go and get their stuff when they get there, and
put
> if back when they leave. It would be a good way to have a lot of luxury
> stuff, without having to deal with shipping, or packing every year.
>
> Sound like a good idea?
> --
> Jim in NC

It already happens to some extent. Folks with campers and the right
connections have been known to store on the grounds or in one of the exhibit
buildings 51 weeks a year. If you are a serious volunteer it might just
help the situation along iffen you know what I mean.

John Clear
August 12th 05, 05:34 AM
In article <QmVKe.19169$084.4075@attbi_s22>,
Jay Honeck > wrote:

>Wow, that's almost creepy, Jim. Mary and I were just talking about how
>great it would be if someone would build a gazillion of those stupid storage
>units (basically glorified miniature garages) on Wittman Field.

Why build them?

There are companies that bring portable storage units to you, and then
store them away for you.

I see these things URL:http://www.pods.com/about/features.aspx all
over the local (NoCal) area. A two car garage isn't enough to hold
all the junk I guess. I'm sure there is something similar around
OSH. If not, you can always rent a shipping container.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

RST Engineering
August 12th 05, 05:51 AM
When we were commercial exhibitors, EAA would store our booth from year to
year in the commercial exhibit buildings (which are absolutely empty) for a
hundred bucks or so. A group going to EAA (ask me, I'll find the right
path) that wants to store stuff from year to year ought to be able to do it
for a couple of hundred bucks for a whole BUNCH of camping gear.

But it can't be a "loose association". We need cubic feet and a formal
organization to approach EAA with this request. I'm willing to be the EAA
conduit, but you all have to form the association and request a specific
amount of cubic feet of storage. A couple of rules:

1. If you aren't there the next year, your stuff is either discarded or
taken home by other members.

2. Somebody HAS to be there the day before the show to tell the EAA
forklift operator where to dump the stuff.

Jim

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message

> Wow, that's almost creepy, Jim. Mary and I were just talking about how
> great it would be if someone would build a gazillion of those stupid
> storage units (basically glorified miniature garages) on Wittman Field.

Morgans
August 12th 05, 06:08 AM
"Dave Stadt" > wrote

> Don't know any logistical details but it would appear they buy matching
> tents by the dozen. They do know how to have a good time.

You know, if a gang regularly went to OSH camping, they could get all of the
stuff they need every year, and rent one of those small climate controlled
storage units, and just go and get their stuff when they get there, and put
if back when they leave. It would be a good way to have a lot of luxury
stuff, without having to deal with shipping, or packing every year.

Sound like a good idea?
--
Jim in NC

Morgans
August 12th 05, 06:46 AM
"John Clear" > wrote

> Why build them?
>
> There are companies that bring portable storage units to you, and then
> store them away for you.
>
> I see these things URL:http://www.pods.com/about/features.aspx all
> over the local (NoCal) area. A two car garage isn't enough to hold
> all the junk I guess. I'm sure there is something similar around
> OSH. If not, you can always rent a shipping container.

It would have to be climate controlled. I don't know if the pods are stored
with heat and AC. Otherwise, tents and sleeping bags and stuff would all
stink.

I think there would be a problem with bringing pods on trucks down the
airplane parking rows at OSH. Problem? No problem, they wouldn't let them.
<g>
--
Jim in NC

Morgans
August 12th 05, 06:53 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote

> Wow, that's almost creepy, Jim. Mary and I were just talking about how
> great it would be if someone would build a gazillion of those stupid
storage
> units (basically glorified miniature garages) on Wittman Field.
>
> I'm sure hundreds (thousands?) of us would rent them for the whole year,
> just so we'd have a place to store all the stuff we bring to (and from)
OSH
> each year.
>
> I'm surprised EAA hasn't jumped on this as a money-making proposition.

Yeah, it would be great. Shoot, a 5' x 5' x 8' tall would be more than
enough room for a few couples.

The thing "I" see as a problem is the EAA's not wanting permanent building
on the field. I don't know why, for sure.

The Aviation Explorers wanted to build a permanent kitchen building on their
base. The base is not used by anyone else, the whole year, but still they
said everything had to be moveable. So they built a building that "could"
be picked up by a mover, and moved. Same problem with a permanent shower
building. We have to walk down to the Warbirds shower building.

Speaking of permanent, what happened to the new control tower that was
supposed to be built? They broke ground for it last year, IIRC.
--
Jim in NC

Hilton
August 12th 05, 08:09 AM
Tont wrote:
> Regarding the South Africa party, on Friday night as I walked back to camp
> heard music off in the distance and figured someone must have had karaoke
> set up or something. ...They had an amplifier and were blasting the live
> music. A short ways away they had a bonfire going and a massive BBQ.

If it was truely a South African party, it would have been a massive braai
(not BBQ). :)

Braai is pronounced "bri" where the "i" sounds like the "I" in "I am at
Oshkosh".

Hilton

August 12th 05, 08:21 AM
Hilton pointed out:
> If it was truely a South African party, it would have been a massive braai
> (not BBQ). :)
>
> Braai is pronounced "bri" where the "i" sounds like the "I" in "I am at
> Oshkosh".
>
> Hilton

Okay, okay, it was a braai! Maybe I should have let someone else explain the
party... :-P .... By next year I'll know everything there is to know about
the party.

It *was* as a massive BBQ, and they sure seemed to be South African, so
let's go with braai.

-Tony Goetz

John T
August 12th 05, 02:13 PM
(scrambling to discover how to turn old walmart into storage units...)

John T
August 12th 05, 02:18 PM
small story...this year as the South Africans were setting up, we were
driving by as they were dumping stuff out of their storage shed.
One guy took the rolled up American flag and tossed it on the ground...I
saw it happened and I blew up! I yelled at the guy to pick it up, but I
guess he didn't understand me so I got out and picked up the flag and
leaned it against some other stuff off the ground, with a really angry
expression on my face. I think they got the message.

John

john smith
August 12th 05, 02:37 PM
Morgans wrote:
> I think there would be a problem with bringing pods on trucks down the
> airplane parking rows at OSH. Problem? No problem, they wouldn't let them.

The PODS are stackable.
Multi-story "units" could be stacked at the end of the rows to form
"villages". Rental price increases with height above ground. Height is
limited by transition surface (7:1 slope from runway edge).

john smith
August 12th 05, 02:41 PM
John T wrote:
> (scrambling to discover how to turn old walmart into storage units...)

The building already has a loading dock in the rear of the structure.
Fork lift the storage containers within the building to the dock, load
onto delivery truck.

George Patterson
August 12th 05, 06:05 PM
Morgans wrote:

> You know, if a gang regularly went to OSH camping, they could get all of the
> stuff they need every year, and rent one of those small climate controlled
> storage units, and just go and get their stuff when they get there, and put
> if back when they leave.

Sunshine Rental is located 4 blocks north of the Whitman field FBO (end of the
bus line). It's at 1607 Ohio St. Phone is 920 426-2117.

That's the closest one I found.

George Patterson

George Patterson
August 12th 05, 06:08 PM
RST Engineering wrote:

> 2. Somebody HAS to be there the day before the show to tell the EAA
> forklift operator where to dump the stuff.

Possibly the stuff can be kept in an enclosed trailer that can be moved to some
sort of parking area during the event?

George Patterson

John T
August 12th 05, 09:16 PM
Actually, I was thinking of turning the inside into self-storage units.
Hundreds of closet sized units.

John

Hilton
August 12th 05, 09:27 PM
Tony,

> Okay, okay, it was a braai! Maybe I should have let someone else explain
the
> party... :-P .... By next year I'll know everything there is to know about
> the party.

Make sure you ask them about the boerewors, sosatis, and biltong! ;)

Hilton

Jay Honeck
August 13th 05, 04:01 AM
> But it can't be a "loose association". We need cubic feet and a formal
> organization to approach EAA with this request. I'm willing to be the EAA
> conduit, but you all have to form the association and request a specific
> amount of cubic feet of storage.

Hmm. The "rec.aviation club" works for me.

Or do we need something more official sounding?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

RST Engineering
August 13th 05, 05:24 AM
How about the "rec.aviation.owners". THat works for me.

I'll make some quiet inquiries on Monday.

Jim

> Hmm. The "rec.aviation club" works for me.
>
> Or do we need something more official sounding?

Jay Honeck
August 13th 05, 01:35 PM
> How about the "rec.aviation.owners". THat works for me.
>
> I'll make some quiet inquiries on Monday.

Thanks, Jim.

Wow, just imagine. We could store our own MOAG (Mother Of All Grills)
"on-site", and we could have a pig roast every year! Not to mention all
the chairs, tables, and (dare I say it) coolers?

No more hauling around the PMC -- "Pimp My Cooler", AKA: "The Coffin"??

Wow, I can almost see Jim (Burns) and Montblack pumping their fists and
shouting "YES!" from here!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jack Allison
August 13th 05, 02:02 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> Wow, I can almost see Jim (Burns) and Montblack pumping their fists and
> shouting "YES!" from here!

Paul could make a few special trips to OSH, meet Jim, store PMC units,
etc. Ooooooooooooh, our own MOAG...now this is getting exciting. All
we need to do is convince someone (JimB/Paul, perhaps even Joe the grill
master) to rotate nightly shifts running the grill and we're set. No
more having to run from the Charcoal Pit through the wall of water! :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student
Arrow N2104T

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Montblack
August 13th 05, 02:25 PM
("Jay Honeck" wrote)
> No more hauling around the PMC -- "Pimp My Cooler", AKA: "The Coffin"??
>
> Wow, I can almost see Jim (Burns) and Montblack pumping their fists and
> shouting "YES!" from here!

Call me a defeatist ...but this building will need an access point, no? :-)

Your papers please! "Mach Schnell....schnell, schnell."

Montblack
'What does bitte, bitte, bitte mean?' ....<evil grin>

Blanche
August 13th 05, 04:18 PM
RST Engineering > wrote:
>How about the "rec.aviation.owners". THat works for me.
>
>I'll make some quiet inquiries on Monday.
>
>Jim
>
>> Hmm. The "rec.aviation club" works for me.
>>
>> Or do we need something more official sounding?

AlexisParkInn Auxillary and Traveling Road Show?

Ron Wanttaja
August 13th 05, 05:33 PM
On 13 Aug 2005 15:18:25 GMT, Blanche > wrote:

>RST Engineering > wrote:
>>How about the "rec.aviation.owners". THat works for me.
>>
>>I'll make some quiet inquiries on Monday.
>>
>>Jim
>>
>>> Hmm. The "rec.aviation club" works for me.
>>>
>>> Or do we need something more official sounding?
>
>AlexisParkInn Auxillary and Traveling Road Show?

Rec.Owners Grilling and Unwinding Exhibition: ROGUE, for short....

Ron Wanttaja

Jay Honeck
August 13th 05, 07:05 PM
> > No more hauling around the PMC -- "Pimp My Cooler", AKA: "The Coffin"??
> >
> > Wow, I can almost see Jim (Burns) and Montblack pumping their fists and
> > shouting "YES!" from here!
>
> Call me a defeatist ...but this building will need an access point, no? :-)
>
> Your papers please! "Mach Schnell....schnell, schnell."

Crap, I suppose you're right. We'll STILL have to transport the stuff
out to the campsite, somehow.

Wait -- a TRAILER! That's what we need! Keep all the supplies in a
trailer, inside the storage facility, throughout the year.

Then, when you come to OSH next year, you simply hook it up to your van
(which you have somehow magically transported onto the grounds, and
driven right up to the Exhibit halls without anyone noticing) and drive
it out to the North 40 -- where we won't have arrived yet!

You will then have to predict precisely where we will be camping, and
drop the load right *there*...

Okay, maybe there are some holes in the plan here...but we'll fill 'em
somehow!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Darrel Toepfer
August 13th 05, 10:26 PM
Montblack wrote:

> 'What does bitte, bitte, bitte mean?' ....<evil grin>

Stop repeating yourself... With a last name like mine, what did you expect?

George Patterson
August 13th 05, 11:01 PM
Montblack wrote:

> 'What does bitte, bitte, bitte mean?' ....<evil grin>

Either "please, please, please" or "you're welcome, you're welcome, you're
welcome" depending on whether or not it's a reply to "danke."

George Patterson

Montblack
August 13th 05, 11:36 PM
("George Patterson" wrote)
>> 'What does bitte, bitte, bitte mean?' ....<evil grin>
>
> Either "please, please, please" or "you're welcome, you're welcome, you're
> welcome" depending on whether or not it's a reply to "danke."

I couldn't remember the movie, The Longest Yard (1962) was my guess.

GI asked the question to his GI buddies, of a surrendering Nazi...um,
.....*after* it was no longer an issue - IYKWIM.

Might have been Battle of the Bulge (1965) or Dirty Dozen (1967) or Patton
(1970) or.....

Montblack

Ron Wanttaja
August 14th 05, 12:19 AM
On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:36:14 -0500, "Montblack"
> wrote:

>("George Patterson" wrote)
>>> 'What does bitte, bitte, bitte mean?' ....<evil grin>
>>
>> Either "please, please, please" or "you're welcome, you're welcome, you're
>> welcome" depending on whether or not it's a reply to "danke."
>

>I couldn't remember the movie, The Longest Yard (1962) was my guess.
>
>GI asked the question to his GI buddies, of a surrendering Nazi...um,
>....*after* it was no longer an issue - IYKWIM.
>
>Might have been Battle of the Bulge (1965) or Dirty Dozen (1967) or Patton
>(1970) or.....

"The Longest Day," actually. The end of the Ranger assault on Point Du Hoc.

Ron "IM IMDB" Wanttaja

john smith
August 14th 05, 12:32 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:
> Wait -- a TRAILER! That's what we need! Keep all the supplies in a
> trailer, inside the storage facility, throughout the year.

Just remember to take along a cylinder of compressed air to pump up any
"low" tires on the trailer when it is picked up.

john smith
August 14th 05, 12:35 AM
Montblack wrote:
> I couldn't remember the movie, The Longest Yard (1962) was my guess.

Wasn't that a Burt Reynolds movie about convicts playing football?

August 14th 05, 01:02 AM
Jay brainstormed:
> Crap, I suppose you're right. We'll STILL have to transport the stuff
> out to the campsite, somehow.
>
> Wait -- a TRAILER! That's what we need! Keep all the supplies in a
> trailer, inside the storage facility, throughout the year.
>
> Then, when you come to OSH next year, you simply hook it up to your van
> (which you have somehow magically transported onto the grounds, and
> driven right up to the Exhibit halls without anyone noticing) and drive
> it out to the North 40 -- where we won't have arrived yet!
>
> You will then have to predict precisely where we will be camping, and
> drop the load right *there*...
>
> Okay, maybe there are some holes in the plan here...but we'll fill 'em
> somehow!
>
> :-)

This is getting complicated. We're going to need to hire some interns or
something.

-Tony Goetz

Darrel Toepfer
August 14th 05, 02:01 AM
john smith wrote:

> Wasn't that a Burt Reynolds movie about convicts playing football?

He star'd in both of them...

Dave Stadt
August 14th 05, 05:15 AM
"Darrel Toepfer" > wrote in message
> john smith wrote:
>
> > Wasn't that a Burt Reynolds movie about convicts playing football?
>
> He star'd in both of them...

He was most certainly not in the Longest Day.

Montblack
August 14th 05, 05:37 AM
("Ron Wanttaja" wrote)
>>I couldn't remember the movie, The Longest Yard (1962) was my guess.
>>
>>GI asked the question to his GI buddies, of a surrendering Nazi...um,
>>....*after* it was no longer an issue - IYKWIM.

> "The Longest Day," actually. The end of the Ranger assault on Point Du
> Hoc.
>
> Ron "IM IMDB" Wanttaja

The Longest ...Day. Doh!

I was doing three things at once - thinking obviously wasn't one of them!

The Longest Day
The Longest Day
The Longest Day

Montblack

John T
August 14th 05, 03:30 PM
"The Longest Day".

John

john smith
August 14th 05, 04:05 PM

Dave Stadt wrote:
> He was most certainly not in the Longest Day.

Keep up Dave :-))
Paul originally wrote the title as "The Longest Yard".

RST Engineering
August 14th 05, 04:29 PM
I get the one with the big (:)

blue eyes.

Jim

> This is getting complicated. We're going to need to hire some interns or
> something.

Jim Burns
August 15th 05, 05:37 PM
Although y'all 're nuts or drunk, I like the trailer idea. Of course you'd
have it painted with the Alexis Hotel and Suites Traveling Road Show logo on
it. And I think that the PMC would be housed inside the trailer, would have
to take on a new life form, something like one of those little refrigerators
or a tank and ice that would hold say... um... a 1/4 barrel?? CO2 system or
a compressor run off the generator. Soda, water, and beer taps would extend
out the side of the trailer in several locations so there would be no
waiting for service. We could have a restaurant sized fold out gas grill
and griddle on the side of the trailer. Every morning the North 40 could
wake up to the smell of pancakes, bacon, and eggs. Each night a laptop
w/DVD and a LCD projector would project the day's pictures and airplane
movies onto a roll down screen. A roll out awning with roll down sides
would make a temporary tent for those unable to navigate homeward. A couple
orange rotating lights would make you look "official".

Build it and they will come! Think big Jay!

I've got room to store it and I'd even drive over to OSH the day before and
pick you up so we can get it tranported to your site, then after OSH I could
pull it home. The gate Nazi's be damned!

Jim

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> > > No more hauling around the PMC -- "Pimp My Cooler", AKA: "The
Coffin"??

> > > Wow, I can almost see Jim (Burns) and Montblack pumping their fists
and
> > > shouting "YES!" from here!
> >
> > Call me a defeatist ...but this building will need an access point, no?
:-)

> > Your papers please! "Mach Schnell....schnell, schnell."
>
> Crap, I suppose you're right. We'll STILL have to transport the stuff
> out to the campsite, somehow.
>
> Wait -- a TRAILER! That's what we need! Keep all the supplies in a
> trailer, inside the storage facility, throughout the year.
>
> Then, when you come to OSH next year, you simply hook it up to your van
> (which you have somehow magically transported onto the grounds, and
> driven right up to the Exhibit halls without anyone noticing) and drive
> it out to the North 40 -- where we won't have arrived yet!
>
> You will then have to predict precisely where we will be camping, and
> drop the load right *there*...
>
> Okay, maybe there are some holes in the plan here...but we'll fill 'em
> somehow!
>
> :-)
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Jay Honeck
August 15th 05, 07:29 PM
> Although y'all 're nuts or drunk, I like the trailer idea. Of course you'd
> have it painted with the Alexis Hotel and Suites Traveling Road Show logo on
> it. And I think that the PMC would be housed inside the trailer, would have
> to take on a new life form, something like one of those little refrigerators
> or a tank and ice that would hold say... um... a 1/4 barrel?? CO2 system or
> a compressor run off the generator. Soda, water, and beer taps would extend
> out the side of the trailer in several locations so there would be no
> waiting for service. We could have a restaurant sized fold out gas grill
> and griddle on the side of the trailer. Every morning the North 40 could
> wake up to the smell of pancakes, bacon, and eggs. Each night a laptop
> w/DVD and a LCD projector would project the day's pictures and airplane
> movies onto a roll down screen. A roll out awning with roll down sides
> would make a temporary tent for those unable to navigate homeward. A couple
> orange rotating lights would make you look "official".

Clearly you have lost your mind, Jim.

Let's do it!

:-)

> I've got room to store it and I'd even drive over to OSH the day before and
> pick you up so we can get it tranported to your site, then after OSH I could
> pull it home. The gate Nazi's be damned!

Um, well, hold on there, pardner. I don't know about the gate Nazis
letting us pull (and keep) a trailer onto the North 40 for a week --
especially not one with beer tappers and grills sticking out the sides!

Jim Weir, are you reading this? Montblack is good, and smooth as
refried beans when it comes to getting his van out to our campsite --
but whaddya think the EAA folks would say about such a contraption?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jim Burns
August 15th 05, 07:59 PM
Hehe... partypooper... Ok... gonna have to make it a "service vehicle".
Alexis Inn and Suites Mobile Airplane and Pilot Service
Jim Weir A&P/AI
Jay Honeck Crewchief
Make the trailer look like a mechanic's service vehicle (more orange lights)
Lots of diamond plate polished aluminum
Tool boxes to hold all the dry goods and non perishables

Standard opening line: "Sure I'd be happy to look at your plane, I'll even
take some pictures. How 'bout a beer?"

RST Engineering
August 15th 05, 08:09 PM
Politely, no. Impolitely, HELL no.

Jim

> Jim Weir, are you reading this? Montblack is good, and smooth as
> refried beans when it comes to getting his van out to our campsite --
> but whaddya think the EAA folks would say about such a contraption?

Jim Burns
August 15th 05, 09:03 PM
Hehe :) Hell-no-in-a-heartbeat-NO!

"RST Engineering" > wrote in message
> Politely, no. Impolitely, HELL no.
>
> Jim
>

> > Jim Weir, are you reading this? Montblack is good, and smooth as
> > refried beans when it comes to getting his van out to our campsite --
> > but whaddya think the EAA folks would say about such a contraption?

John T
August 16th 05, 04:51 PM
nonono! you got to convince them such a contraption would become a
institute of tradition! much like the red barn at the ultralights, or
the warbirds show, or...

well, you get the idea!

actually, I bet all you need is a orange and white checkered flag and
and flashing red light, and a window sticker of the correct color and
any old words on it (I doubt if they'd look close).

John

Darrel Toepfer
August 19th 05, 01:38 PM
Dave Stadt wrote:

>>>Wasn't that a Burt Reynolds movie about convicts playing football?
>>
>>He star'd in both of them...
>
> He was most certainly not in the Longest Day.

I agree, but he was in both of the "Longest Yard" movies...

The Longest Yard (1974)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0071771

The Longest Yard (2005)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0398165