PDA

View Full Version : special issuance???

Tri-Pacer
August 18th 05, 01:23 PM
Does a special issuance show up on the airman's registry web site?

A chap I know needs a special issuance for diabetes. I bought a plane from
him some years back and had been letting him fly it from time to time.

I got a bug and checked him out on the Airman's registry. There it said his
last medical was dated in 2001 making it 3 years out of date.
The restrictions section mentioned glasses and "Miscellaneous restrictions"

When I confronted him, he claimed that all he had to do was have his doctor
sent Oklahoma a statement that he was fit every year and he was good to go.
In other words no 3rd class physical needed. !!!!

I am thoroughly ****ed since if he had an accident in my airplane, my
insurance would have been void and I would have taken it up the butt.

Is he right??

Dick Meade
August 18th 05, 02:38 PM
"Tri-Pacer" > wrote in message
> Does a special issuance show up on the airman's registry web site?

Sort of. Mine has a note indicating "Not valid for any class after". A
date is supposed to follow, but does not. I checked another pilot I know
who flies on SI. Same.

> A chap I know needs a special issuance for diabetes. I bought a plane from
> him some years back and had been letting him fly it from time to time.
>
> I got a bug and checked him out on the Airman's registry. There it said
> his last medical was dated in 2001 making it 3 years out of date.
> The restrictions section mentioned glasses and "Miscellaneous
> restrictions"
>
> When I confronted him, he claimed that all he had to do was have his
> doctor sent Oklahoma a statement that he was fit every year and he was
> good to go. In other words no 3rd class physical needed. !!!!

Then I want the same deal he has. I have to have the usual 3rd class
medical every 2 years, notwithstanding the testing required for special
issuance.

> I am thoroughly ****ed since if he had an accident in my airplane, my
> insurance would have been void and I would have taken it up the butt.
>
> Is he right??

You might ask to see his medical. I doubt he has one.

Paul kgyy
August 18th 05, 02:50 PM
He is wrong. You still have to do the regular exam, and this will show
on the FAA registry. I have a special issue medical that requires an
annual treadmill test, but the last letter I received from the FAA
makes a point that I need to do this before going in for my next
regular medical.

Paul kgyy
August 18th 05, 02:51 PM
By the way, if he's not listed as an approved pilot on your insurance
policy, he may not be covered under any conditions - check the fine
print.

ET
August 18th 05, 11:41 PM
"Tri-Pacer" > wrote in
:

> Does a special issuance show up on the airman's registry web site?
>
> A chap I know needs a special issuance for diabetes. I bought a plane
> from him some years back and had been letting him fly it from time to
> time.
>
> I got a bug and checked him out on the Airman's registry. There it
> said his last medical was dated in 2001 making it 3 years out of date.
> The restrictions section mentioned glasses and "Miscellaneous
> restrictions"
>
> When I confronted him, he claimed that all he had to do was have his
> doctor sent Oklahoma a statement that he was fit every year and he was
> good to go. In other words no 3rd class physical needed. !!!!
>
> I am thoroughly ****ed since if he had an accident in my airplane, my
> insurance would have been void and I would have taken it up the butt.
>
> Is he right??

Tell him you need to see and copy his medical for your insurance
company. It's a little white lie that will allow you to save face if
indeed he produces a valid medical....

--
-- ET >:-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

Juan Jimenez
August 19th 05, 10:43 PM
"Tri-Pacer" > wrote in message
> Does a special issuance show up on the airman's registry web site?
>
> A chap I know needs a special issuance for diabetes. I bought a plane from
> him some years back and had been letting him fly it from time to time.
>
> I got a bug and checked him out on the Airman's registry. There it said
> his last medical was dated in 2001 making it 3 years out of date.
> The restrictions section mentioned glasses and "Miscellaneous
> restrictions"
>
> When I confronted him, he claimed that all he had to do was have his
> doctor sent Oklahoma a statement that he was fit every year and he was
> good to go. In other words no 3rd class physical needed. !!!!
>
> I am thoroughly ****ed since if he had an accident in my airplane, my
> insurance would have been void and I would have taken it up the butt.
>
> Is he right??

The FAA database is rarely out of date in this respect (assuming you checked
with the FAA, not a third party who downloaded the database and posted it on
their own site). I've never heard of a medical certificate for which you
only had to send in a letter and not renew.

Robert M. Gary
August 22nd 05, 02:26 AM
A friend of mine runs a FBO. He rented out his Debonair to a regular
pilot who accidently landed gear up. After the accident the pilot
noticed his medical had expired 2 days prior to the accident. He went
down and successfully got a new medical that day. The insurance company
denied the claim since the pilot did not have a medical.

-Robert

K. Ari Krupnikov
August 22nd 05, 05:53 AM
"Robert M. Gary" > writes:

> A friend of mine runs a FBO. He rented out his Debonair to a regular
> pilot who accidently landed gear up. After the accident the pilot
> noticed his medical had expired 2 days prior to the accident. He went
> down and successfully got a new medical that day. The insurance company
> denied the claim since the pilot did not have a medical.

How could they tell he got his medical after the accident not before
if it was the same day?

Ari.

--
Elections only count as free and trials as fair if you can lose money
betting on the outcome.

sfb
August 22nd 05, 03:00 PM
This post speaks much for your honesty and integrity. Insurance carriers
have a bad habit of prosecuting criminal fraud so some people take
questions like is your medical current seriously.

"K. Ari Krupnikov" > wrote in message
> "Robert M. Gary" > writes:
>
>> A friend of mine runs a FBO. He rented out his Debonair to a regular
>> pilot who accidently landed gear up. After the accident the pilot
>> noticed his medical had expired 2 days prior to the accident. He went
>> down and successfully got a new medical that day. The insurance
>> company
>> denied the claim since the pilot did not have a medical.
>
> How could they tell he got his medical after the accident not before
> if it was the same day?
>
> Ari.
>
> --
> Elections only count as free and trials as fair if you can lose money
> betting on the outcome.

Peter Clark
August 22nd 05, 09:28 PM
On 21 Aug 2005 21:53:44 -0700, (K. Ari Krupnikov) wrote:

>"Robert M. Gary" > writes:
>
>> A friend of mine runs a FBO. He rented out his Debonair to a regular
>> pilot who accidently landed gear up. After the accident the pilot
>> noticed his medical had expired 2 days prior to the accident. He went
>> down and successfully got a new medical that day. The insurance company
>> denied the claim since the pilot did not have a medical.
>
>How could they tell he got his medical after the accident not before
>if it was the same day?

Doctor's office patient log?

Juan Jimenez
August 22nd 05, 11:18 PM
All they had to do was ask the doctor what time he showed up to take the
medical. You don't think the doctor's going to risk his AME, his medical
license and his reputation for something like this, do you?

"K. Ari Krupnikov" > wrote in message
> "Robert M. Gary" > writes:
>
>> A friend of mine runs a FBO. He rented out his Debonair to a regular
>> pilot who accidently landed gear up. After the accident the pilot
>> noticed his medical had expired 2 days prior to the accident. He went
>> down and successfully got a new medical that day. The insurance company
>> denied the claim since the pilot did not have a medical.
>
> How could they tell he got his medical after the accident not before
> if it was the same day?
>
> Ari.
>
> --
> Elections only count as free and trials as fair if you can lose money
> betting on the outcome.

K. Ari Krupnikov
August 23rd 05, 07:36 AM
"sfb" > writes:

> This post speaks much for your honesty and integrity. Insurance carriers
> have a bad habit of prosecuting criminal fraud so some people take
> questions like is your medical current seriously.

Hey, I'm posting from a real, routable email address, unlike some of
us :=)

Ari.

--
Elections only count as free and trials as fair if you can lose money
betting on the outcome.

Google