From: "Jay Honeck" >
Subject: Flat Tires?
Date: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 4:51 PM

One of our least favorite jobs (thanks to our "Fancy Pants" with their
stupid, under-sized access doors) is airing up the tires on our Pathfinder.

I pull the plane back and forth while Mary fishes around for the stupid
nipple. If you want to hear a woman cuss like a sailor, just stop by the
hangar on tire-filling day!

It seems like we're having to fill the tires way too often. At least every
3 - 4 weeks, we notice that the plane has become a real bear to pull out of
the hangar, and that our take-off roll has become noticeably longer. Sure
enough, the tires will be down around 25%, from 40 to 30 lbs on the mains,
and from 30 to 23 lbs (or so) in the nosewheel.

This seems ridiculous. Is it a product of tubed tires, or do I have slow
leaks that should be fixed? Can you use "Fix-a-Flat" in aircraft tires?
(I'll bet not.)

How often do you guys have to fill your tires?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Oracle
August 26th 05, 12:35 AM
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:59:30 -0500, Fly wrote:

> Not often since I started using the 'airstop' tubes.
> Desser tires has the best deal.
>
> Kent Felkins
>

> From: "Jay Honeck" >
> Subject: Flat Tires?
> Date: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 4:51 PM
>
> One of our least favorite jobs (thanks to our "Fancy Pants" with their
> stupid, under-sized access doors) is airing up the tires on our Pathfinder.
>
> I pull the plane back and forth while Mary fishes around for the stupid
> nipple. If you want to hear a woman cuss like a sailor, just stop by the
> hangar on tire-filling day!
>
> It seems like we're having to fill the tires way too often. At least every
> 3 - 4 weeks, we notice that the plane has become a real bear to pull out of
> the hangar, and that our take-off roll has become noticeably longer. Sure
> enough, the tires will be down around 25%, from 40 to 30 lbs on the mains,
> and from 30 to 23 lbs (or so) in the nosewheel.
>
> This seems ridiculous. Is it a product of tubed tires, or do I have slow
> leaks that should be fixed? Can you use "Fix-a-Flat" in aircraft tires?
> (I'll bet not.)
>
> How often do you guys have to fill your tires?

Use lots of caution when using Fix-a-Flat. By design, the product is
suppose to ONLY get you to a shop to get your tire repaired or replaced.
Fix-a-Flat is VERY bad about putting tires out of balance. Their formula
is also known to steadily destroy the rubber in which it remains in
contact. I understand they have a newer formula out, which is said not to
eat rubber, but the patch does not last anywhere near as long. Any any
rate, Fix-a-flat, reguardless of the formula should never be thought of as
anything other than a short-term fix.

Long story short...use Fix-a-flat if you are stuck and have no other
option. Otherwise, get the tire fixed or replaced before you need to use
it.

Greg

NVArt
August 26th 05, 09:58 PM
I have small pant doors, too. Center the valve stem in the door opening
and yellow-chalk a line vertically from pant to floor on the tire. That
makes it a one man job to locate the stem in the door opening. I use
one of those small "picks" with a handle to bend the stem a little so I
can do the inflation.
Blue Skies
5217D HTH

pbc76049
August 28th 05, 02:49 AM
Buy a jug of "Tire Slime"
at Walmart. Stops leakdown of
all the tires I own...

George Patterson
August 28th 05, 03:07 AM
pbc76049 wrote:
> Buy a jug of "Tire Slime" at Walmart.

Anything like that is illegal in aircraft tires, according to one A&P I asked.

George Patterson

Fly
August 28th 05, 04:24 AM
i used some in my lawn tractor tires.
couple years later I put new tires on. It was tough because the wheels were
so rusty

"pbc76049" > wrote in message
> Buy a jug of "Tire Slime"
> at Walmart. Stops leakdown of
> all the tires I own...

pbc76049
August 30th 05, 04:24 AM
"George Patterson" > wrote in message
>> Anything like that is illegal in aircraft tires, according to one A&P I
>> asked.

Well George, it just go's to show you how many A&P's have different opinions
of what the reg's say.
This isn't a prohibited act in AC43, it falls into the same category as
strut leak stopper, Marvel Oil,
ZDP, Mouse Milk, Automotive Greases, LPS3, and a whole world of other
chemicals which are
not specifically prohibited. Your mileage may vary.........

pbc76049

Google