PDA

View Full Version : Best prices for Engine Oil

Dick Kurtz
August 25th 05, 04:55 AM
Are there any vendors anybody would like to share that will UPS a case or
two of oil at a price that won't hurt too much?
Thanks in Advance

BTIZ
August 25th 05, 05:33 AM
what is "hurt to much" and how far to ship?
Most oil by the case in the local area is about $30 and the wholesalers
Can't buy it locally? I just picked up two cases of Mineral Oil for $64 with
tax.

I know the local Municipal "fuel desk" sells it for $6 per quart (robbery)

BT

"Dick Kurtz" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Are there any vendors anybody would like to share that will UPS a case or
> two of oil at a price that won't hurt too much?
> Thanks in Advance

Jon Kraus
August 25th 05, 01:39 PM
Any discount you would get from buying online would be eaten up with
shipping costs. You are better off finding a local oil distributer and
dealing with them. Hrer in Indianapolis we deal with Hoosier Penn Oil.
If you buy a couple cases at a time they even deliver. I tape a check to
the door adn when I get home my Aero Shell 15W50 is waiting to greet
me!!! :-)

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201

Dick Kurtz wrote:
> Are there any vendors anybody would like to share that will UPS a case or
> two of oil at a price that won't hurt too much?
> Thanks in Advance

OtisWinslow
August 25th 05, 02:07 PM
How much oil do you use? Why don't you just buy it from the FBO
and help them out. You want to keep them around don't you?

"Dick Kurtz" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Are there any vendors anybody would like to share that will UPS a case or
> two of oil at a price that won't hurt too much?
> Thanks in Advance

Dick Kurtz
August 25th 05, 03:20 PM
My Airport is somewhat remote, the nearest FBO being a 70 Mile Flight, Which
I don't mind but sometimes it would be nice to just let Mr Brown truck bring
it by, especially when the plane is down for annual or weather is below mins

"OtisWinslow" > wrote in message
> How much oil do you use? Why don't you just buy it from the FBO
> and help them out. You want to keep them around don't you?
>

> "Dick Kurtz" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > Are there any vendors anybody would like to share that will UPS a case
or
> > two of oil at a price that won't hurt too much?
> > Thanks in Advance

George Patterson
August 25th 05, 04:19 PM
Dick Kurtz wrote:
> Are there any vendors anybody would like to share that will UPS a case or
> two of oil at a price that won't hurt too much?

http://www.oil-store.com

George Patterson

Jon Kraus
August 26th 05, 12:27 AM
I help my FBO out plenty.... Why should I pay their 6 bucks a quart
wuhen I can get it for 3 something. I **** enough money away on our
plane so I don't fee bad at all about getting my own oil. Especially if
all I have to do is write a check and they bring it to me. Besides my
FBO does all the maintenance and the annual on our Mooney.

I even get my oil filters from Aircraft Spruce.. At oil change time I
put 8 quarts and a new filter in the plane and my A & P at the FBO
changes the oil (for $90 in labor) so believe me they make enough...

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201

OtisWinslow wrote:
> How much oil do you use? Why don't you just buy it from the FBO
> and help them out. You want to keep them around don't you?
>

> "Dick Kurtz" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>
>>Are there any vendors anybody would like to share that will UPS a case or
>>two of oil at a price that won't hurt too much?
>>Thanks in Advance

Mike Rapoport
August 26th 05, 01:25 AM
I buy Exxon Elite oil from www.eliteetc.com Periodically they run a special
where you get a $25 Exxon cash card with each two cases purchased and
shipping is included. I have also bought oil from
http://store.yahoo.com/oilstore/ which also has very good prices.

Mike
MU-2

"Dick Kurtz" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Are there any vendors anybody would like to share that will UPS a case or
> two of oil at a price that won't hurt too much?
> Thanks in Advance

Kyle Boatright
August 26th 05, 03:22 AM
"Jon Kraus" > wrote in message
. ..
>I help my FBO out plenty.... Why should I pay their 6 bucks a quart wuhen I
>can get it for 3 something. I **** enough money away on our plane so I
>don't fee bad at all about getting my own oil. Especially if all I have to
>do is write a check and they bring it to me. Besides my FBO does all the
>maintenance and the annual on our Mooney.
>
> I even get my oil filters from Aircraft Spruce.. At oil change time I put
> 8 quarts and a new filter in the plane and my A & P at the FBO changes the
> oil (for $90 in labor) so believe me they make enough...
>
> Jon Kraus
> '79 Mooney 201

I purchased a case of oil today. I was shocked that at a distributor, the
price of a case Aeroshell 15-50 has jumped to about $70, which is $20 higher
than I remember. So, it's $6 a quart at the distributor. What a freakin'
nightmare.

KB

George Patterson
August 26th 05, 04:15 AM
Kyle Boatright wrote:

> I purchased a case of oil today. I was shocked that at a distributor, the
> price of a case Aeroshell 15-50 has jumped to about $70, which is $20 higher
> than I remember.

Wow. It's still a bit more than $44 (plus shipping) at The Oil Store.

George Patterson

Jay Honeck
August 26th 05, 04:41 AM
> I purchased a case of oil today. I was shocked that at a distributor, the
> price of a case Aeroshell 15-50 has jumped to about $70, which is $20
> higher than I remember. So, it's $6 a quart at the distributor. What a
> freakin' nightmare.

Holy crap! Guess I'd better go buy up all the $43 cases at my local
supplier...

(Hey, this may be the best investment I've made this year! Buy low, sell
high? :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jim Burns
August 26th 05, 04:27 PM
Buy a drum and share it with the neighbors.
55ga drum from distributor, W100 comes out to $2 per quart for us.
Jim

"Dick Kurtz" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Are there any vendors anybody would like to share that will UPS a case or
> two of oil at a price that won't hurt too much?
> Thanks in Advance

TripFarmer
August 26th 05, 10:35 PM
Check with another distributor. I just bought a case for $49.00

Trip

In article >, says...

>"Jon Kraus" > wrote in message
. ..
>>I help my FBO out plenty.... Why should I pay their 6 bucks a quart wuhen I
>>can get it for 3 something. I **** enough money away on our plane so I
>>don't fee bad at all about getting my own oil. Especially if all I have to
>>do is write a check and they bring it to me. Besides my FBO does all the
>>maintenance and the annual on our Mooney.
>>
>> I even get my oil filters from Aircraft Spruce.. At oil change time I put
>> 8 quarts and a new filter in the plane and my A & P at the FBO changes the
>> oil (for $90 in labor) so believe me they make enough...
>>
>> Jon Kraus
>> '79 Mooney 201
>
>I purchased a case of oil today. I was shocked that at a distributor, the
>price of a case Aeroshell 15-50 has jumped to about $70, which is $20 higher
>than I remember. So, it's $6 a quart at the distributor. What a freakin'
>nightmare.
>
>KB

Kyle Boatright
August 27th 05, 01:27 AM
"TripFarmer" > wrote in message
> Check with another distributor. I just bought a case for $49.00

>>I purchased a case of oil today. I was shocked that at a distributor, the
>>price of a case Aeroshell 15-50 has jumped to about $70, which is $20
>>higher
>>than I remember. So, it's $6 a quart at the distributor. What a freakin'
>>nightmare.
>>
>>KB

I'd even switch to Exxon Elite (which may be a better oil, anyway) if I had
a local Exxon distributor. Unfortunately, the only oil distributor I can
find anywhere near my house or place of work carries Shell and apparently
charges a premium. I did notice that Aircraft Spruce sells the Exxon
product for $50 something a case, so my plan going forward may be to pick up
a case anytime I'm down there. I'm 45 minutes by car from their Griffin
location. Flying there is an option too...

KB

Google