PDA

View Full Version : Wing covering lifespan?

Michael Horowitz
October 5th 05, 09:49 PM
Over the life of a fabric a/c, it will undoubtedly go thru owners that
hanger it, others that tie it down.

For the purposes of estimating the cost of said a/c, what is a
generally accepted lifespan for a fabric coating? - Mike

George Patterson
October 6th 05, 02:37 AM
Michael Horowitz wrote:

> For the purposes of estimating the cost of said a/c, what is a
> generally accepted lifespan for a fabric coating? - Mike

Depends on the fabric. Cotton will last 2 to 5 years tied down, but I know of a
J-3 that's been hangared for 30 years and counting with the same skin. Ceconite
or Polyfiber is advertised as having an unlimited life expectancy if properly
applied, but most manufacturers or installers recommend that the fabric be
removed every 15 years to check for corrosion in the frame. Nobody I know
actually does this.

There also used to be something called "Razorback", but I have no experience
with it.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Google