PDA

View Full Version : Re: Home Built Aircraft - Alternative Engines - Geo/Suzuki

October 11th 05, 12:43 AM
GeoMan wrote:
> Home Built Aircraft - Alternative Engines - Geo/Suzuki

[...]groups.

> The FlyGeo_uncensored Management

A friend in our EAA chapter tells how his buddy drives around looking
for Geo Metros. He rebuilds and resells them and is very keen on their
little 3-cylinder engines. Best place to find them: trailer parks.
"Anytime I pass a trailer park, I drive through scouting for Geos," he
says. "Trailer parks are Geo Country."

Last I heard he found one up on blocks and took it home for $100.

We have a 2-place trike at a local airport. It's Geo-powered, and I
agree with you, judging by the way that thing climbs out and cruises
with that engine singing at a high pitch, that ^that^ engine makes a
lot of power.

October 11th 05, 12:49 AM
BTW, I just finished rebuilding a Continental O-300. I thought I was
going to wear out my torque wrench with all those cylinder flange nuts
spinning on the through-studs. Whew. Sure does make a cigar and cup
o' java taste good about sundown. Which, namely, I am enjoying at
this moment.

Mike Gaskins
October 12th 05, 04:56 AM
Looks like a very interesting engine for certain planes. I had looked
a bit into building a Rans S-9 and was put off by the (perceived)
requirement of using a 2-stroke engine. Something like this would seem
like the perfect engine for that platform.

Bret Ludwig
October 13th 05, 07:22 AM
Mike Gaskins wrote:
> Looks like a very interesting engine for certain planes. I had looked
> a bit into building a Rans S-9 and was put off by the (perceived)
> requirement of using a 2-stroke engine. Something like this would seem
> like the perfect engine for that platform.

I have two Geo Metros I bought unrunning for nothing
($200,$82.46-don't ask) and I keep them as fishing cars. I've given a
lot of thought to building a dune buggy type vehicle with two of their
powertrains-one in front, one in back.

A geared one that could turn a prop for a 75/85 Continental as fast as
the Continental would be great for a Cub-like airplane, if you could
muffle and cool it without great expense and weight. A Cub-like
airplane with a simplified fuselage structure and fiberglass spring
gear, and Reed Clip Wing Cub span wings and full span ailerons....there
you would have an airplane.

Google