PDA

View Full Version : TKM Anyone?

Jon Kraus
October 12th 05, 03:13 AM
As stated earlier we are looking to replace our KX-170B (our 2nd
NAV/COM). As I was doing some research I stumbled across the TKM MX-170
http://www.avionix.com/rev-tkm.html

On the surface this looks like a pretty good deal (1.5 AMU's new). I
talked to a gentleman at Pacific Coast Avionics and he said that the TKM
radios used to have some serious reliability issues they have cleaned up
their act and are now a good radio and would recommend them..

The cool thing about this radio is that it just slides right into our
now vacant slot where the 170B used to reside and you are finished. Plug
and Play baby...

Has anyone had any experience with these radios? Any feedback is much
appreciated. Thanks!!

Jon Kraus
'79 201
4443H @ TYQ

BigBadBrad
October 12th 05, 03:28 AM
ok, I guess I'll be that guy, and ask the question... what is an AMU?

"Jon Kraus" > wrote in message
> As stated earlier we are looking to replace our KX-170B (our 2nd NAV/COM).
> As I was doing some research I stumbled across the TKM MX-170
> http://www.avionix.com/rev-tkm.html
>
> On the surface this looks like a pretty good deal (1.5 AMU's new). I
> talked to a gentleman at Pacific Coast Avionics and he said that the TKM
> radios used to have some serious reliability issues they have cleaned up
> their act and are now a good radio and would recommend them..
>
> The cool thing about this radio is that it just slides right into our now
> vacant slot where the 170B used to reside and you are finished. Plug and
> Play baby...
>
> Has anyone had any experience with these radios? Any feedback is much
> appreciated. Thanks!!
>
> Jon Kraus
> '79 201
> 4443H @ TYQ

Jon Kraus
October 12th 05, 03:30 AM
An AMU is an Aviation Monitary Unit

1 AMU = $1000

If I talk in AMU's the wife doesn't know how much I'm spending... :-)

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

BigBadBrad wrote:

> ok, I guess I'll be that guy, and ask the question... what is an AMU?
>
> "Jon Kraus" > wrote in message
>
>>As stated earlier we are looking to replace our KX-170B (our 2nd NAV/COM).
>>As I was doing some research I stumbled across the TKM MX-170
>>http://www.avionix.com/rev-tkm.html
>>
>>On the surface this looks like a pretty good deal (1.5 AMU's new). I
>>talked to a gentleman at Pacific Coast Avionics and he said that the TKM
>>radios used to have some serious reliability issues they have cleaned up
>>their act and are now a good radio and would recommend them..
>>
>>The cool thing about this radio is that it just slides right into our now
>>vacant slot where the 170B used to reside and you are finished. Plug and
>>Play baby...
>>
>>Has anyone had any experience with these radios? Any feedback is much
>>appreciated. Thanks!!
>>
>>Jon Kraus
>>'79 201
>>4443H @ TYQ

BigBadBrad
October 12th 05, 03:32 AM
THAT is why there is so much to learn here!

kinda thought that's what it was, thanks for confirming!!

"Jon Kraus" > wrote in message
> An AMU is an Aviation Monitary Unit
>
> 1 AMU = $1000
>
> If I talk in AMU's the wife doesn't know how much I'm spending... :-)
>
> Jon Kraus
> '79 Mooney 201
> 4443H @ TYQ
>
> BigBadBrad wrote:
>
>> ok, I guess I'll be that guy, and ask the question... what is an AMU?
>>
>> "Jon Kraus" > wrote in message
>>
>>>As stated earlier we are looking to replace our KX-170B (our 2nd
>>>NAV/COM). As I was doing some research I stumbled across the TKM MX-170
>>>http://www.avionix.com/rev-tkm.html
>>>
>>>On the surface this looks like a pretty good deal (1.5 AMU's new). I
>>>talked to a gentleman at Pacific Coast Avionics and he said that the TKM
>>>radios used to have some serious reliability issues they have cleaned up
>>>their act and are now a good radio and would recommend them..
>>>
>>>The cool thing about this radio is that it just slides right into our now
>>>vacant slot where the 170B used to reside and you are finished. Plug and
>>>Play baby...
>>>
>>>Has anyone had any experience with these radios? Any feedback is much
>>>appreciated. Thanks!!
>>>
>>>Jon Kraus
>>>'79 201
>>>4443H @ TYQ

Jack Allison
October 12th 05, 05:01 AM
Jon Kraus wrote:
> An AMU is an Aviation Monitary Unit
>
> 1 AMU = $1000
>
> If I talk in AMU's the wife doesn't know how much I'm spending... :-)

And, better yet Jon, fractional AMUs sound even better! :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Jay Honeck
October 13th 05, 05:08 PM
> As stated earlier we are looking to replace our KX-170B (our 2nd NAV/COM).
> As I was doing some research I stumbled across the TKM MX-170
> http://www.avionix.com/rev-tkm.html

Bought one at OSH '99. Carried it out to my plane in the North 40, slid the
old KX-170B out, slid the new MX-170 in, powered it up and made a log-book
entry. Carried the old KX-170B to the dealer, who gave me cash on the
barrel head for it. Good deal all around.

It was the best radio I've used yet. Absolutely perfect operation, crystal
clear reception and transmission. Only dumb part was the "frequency memory"
feature, which was completely unusable in anything but perfectly calm
conditions. (You had to push two buttons exactly simultaneously, if I'm
remembering right, in order to access the stored frequencies. Try doing
*that* in turbulence!)

It went with my Warrior when we sold it. I wish I had it in my Pathfinder.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Darrel Toepfer
October 18th 05, 01:45 AM
Jon Kraus wrote:

> As stated earlier we are looking to replace our KX-170B (our 2nd
> NAV/COM). As I was doing some research I stumbled across the TKM MX-170
> http://www.avionix.com/rev-tkm.html

Check the Macoy MAC1700 which is also a slidein replacement (actually it
replaces the analog front panel with a digital one). Much more user
friendly for memory recalls...

http://www.esscoaircraft.com/product_p/1964.htm
http://www.trade-a-plane.com/unprotected/specs/images/spec29173_4.jpg

I've used the Mac and the TKM with good results in 3 different planes.
Recently searched for a cheap MX-12 for another plane unsuccessfully...

Google