PDA

View Full Version : Landing light

tony roberts
October 18th 05, 03:23 AM
I recall reading about a landing light bulb that is a lot brighter than
the usual ones.

I swear that when I turn mine on, it actually makes everything darker :)

Anyone have any leads to a REALLY bright landing light.

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Bob Chilcoat
October 18th 05, 03:26 AM
Yeah, but you won't like the price. Google LoPresti Boom Beam.

"tony roberts" > wrote in message

> I recall reading about a landing light bulb that is a lot brighter than
> the usual ones.
>
> I swear that when I turn mine on, it actually makes everything darker :)
>
> Anyone have any leads to a REALLY bright landing light.

George Patterson
October 18th 05, 03:39 AM
tony roberts wrote:

> I recall reading about a landing light bulb that is a lot brighter than
> the usual ones.

They may be talking about the quartz bulb. It's brighter, but it also has a
narrower beam. That means you can see things further away, but it doesn't
illuminate well to the sides.

I had two in my Maule. I would never use them in a tailwheel aircraft again.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

tony roberts
October 18th 05, 04:09 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I checked out LoPresti Boom Beam and on their website they didn't
include the Cessna 172H so I emailed them. I'll report back on whether
it's available for my plane.

Thanks

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
"Bob Chilcoat" > wrote:

> Yeah, but you won't like the price. Google LoPresti Boom Beam.

Doug Vetter
October 18th 05, 12:51 PM
Bob Chilcoat wrote:
> Yeah, but you won't like the price. Google LoPresti Boom Beam.

True, but knots2u.com is working on cowl mount HIDs and if their wingtip
HID prices are any indication, it will be about half the price of
LoPresti's offering. Check out:

http://knots2u.com/HID20%20Light.htm

The problem is they've been in the "expecting certification next month"
mode for a year. If I had to pull the trigger right now, I'd buy the
LoPresti ($1K) for the cowl and the knots2u ($550 ea) for the wingtips.

-Doug

--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------

OtisWinslow
October 18th 05, 01:26 PM
I tried a Halogen one. When you pointed the nose toward the ground
it would light up an area like the police helicopters. But the beam seemed
narrower on landing and I didn't care for it. We have lots of deer and
other creatures that like to wander across the runway and I like the
wider view on landing at nite.

"tony roberts" > wrote in message

> I recall reading about a landing light bulb that is a lot brighter than
> the usual ones.
>
> I swear that when I turn mine on, it actually makes everything darker :)
>
> Anyone have any leads to a REALLY bright landing light.
>
> Tony
> --
>
> Tony Roberts
> PP-ASEL
> VFR OTT
> Night
> Cessna 172H C-GICE

Jay Honeck
October 18th 05, 02:34 PM
> I swear that when I turn mine on, it actually makes everything darker :)
>
> Anyone have any leads to a REALLY bright landing light.

Well, it's not a landing light, but rather landing LIGHTS. See:
http://alexisparkinn.com/skycraft_landing_lights.htm

We added them after becoming similarly disgusted with the stock landing
light in our plane. These things light up EVERYTHING like daytime!

I've currently got regular 4509 bulbs in them, but I just burned one out a
couple of days ago (after MAYBE 25 hours of use), so I'm switching to the
Q4509s (the quartz-halogen equivalent), which I've used successfully for
years in the nose.

It's a brighter, narrower beam, and it lasts a LOT longer.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Javier Henderson
October 18th 05, 06:50 PM
Bob Chilcoat wrote:
> Yeah, but you won't like the price. Google LoPresti Boom Beam.

I installed, with a field approval and the assistance of regular
contributor Jim Weir, a set of HID lights from RMD Aircraft.

Half the price for similar parts, and the suckers are BRIGHT.

Highly recommended, the installation was a snap.

-jav

Bob Chilcoat
October 18th 05, 09:53 PM
I have a friend with a 96 A-36 Bonanza, who keeps his Boom Beams on all the
time for enhanced visibility in the daytime. Since they have something like
a 5,000-hour life, he sees no reason not to.

"Javier Henderson" > wrote in message
> Bob Chilcoat wrote:
>> Yeah, but you won't like the price. Google LoPresti Boom Beam.
>>

> I installed, with a field approval and the assistance of regular
> contributor Jim Weir, a set of HID lights from RMD Aircraft.
>
> Half the price for similar parts, and the suckers are BRIGHT.
>
> Highly recommended, the installation was a snap.
>
> -jav

Michelle P
October 19th 05, 12:09 AM
George,
I ran the standard lamp as a taxi on the left and a Quartz for landing
in the right aimed further out.
Works great.
Michelle

George Patterson wrote:

> tony roberts wrote:
>
>> I recall reading about a landing light bulb that is a lot brighter
>> than the usual ones.
>

> They may be talking about the quartz bulb. It's brighter, but it also
> has a narrower beam. That means you can see things further away, but
> it doesn't illuminate well to the sides.
>
> I had two in my Maule. I would never use them in a tailwheel aircraft
> again.
>
> George Patterson
> Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your
> neighbor.
> It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Victor J. Osborne, Jr.
October 19th 05, 01:15 AM
ditto the recommendation for the product and "leave the lights on."

The price of install w/b less if the A/P has done it before. Mine hadn't :
I paid $$$ for their education.
--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

"Bob Chilcoat" > wrote in message
>I have a friend with a 96 A-36 Bonanza, who keeps his Boom Beams on all the
>time for enhanced visibility in the daytime. Since they have something
>like a 5,000-hour life, he sees no reason not to.
>
> --
> Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)
>

> "Javier Henderson" > wrote in message
>> Bob Chilcoat wrote:
>>> Yeah, but you won't like the price. Google LoPresti Boom Beam.
>>>

>> I installed, with a field approval and the assistance of regular
>> contributor Jim Weir, a set of HID lights from RMD Aircraft.
>>
>> Half the price for similar parts, and the suckers are BRIGHT.
>>
>> Highly recommended, the installation was a snap.
>>
>> -jav

George Patterson
October 19th 05, 02:54 AM
Michelle P wrote:
> George,
> I ran the standard lamp as a taxi on the left and a Quartz for landing
> in the right aimed further out.

Yeah, I ran that way for a while. Put the spare quartz bulb in when the other
standard burned out. Big mistake.

I'd still stay with the standard on both sides if I had it to do again. I need
the light taxiing more than I do on final.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

John Clonts
October 19th 05, 04:09 AM
"George Patterson" > wrote in message news:0Hh5f.11384$f02.8291@trndny02...
> Michelle P wrote:
>> George,
>> I ran the standard lamp as a taxi on the left and a Quartz for landing in the right aimed further out.
>
> Yeah, I ran that way for a while. Put the spare quartz bulb in when the other standard burned out. Big
> mistake.
>
> I'd still stay with the standard on both sides if I had it to do again. I need the light taxiing more than I
> do on final.

Why was it a mistake?

John Clonts
October 19th 05, 04:13 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message news:KR65f.255476$084.216133@attbi_s22...
>> I swear that when I turn mine on, it actually makes everything darker :)
>>
>> Anyone have any leads to a REALLY bright landing light.
>
> Well, it's not a landing light, but rather landing LIGHTS. See:
> http://alexisparkinn.com/skycraft_landing_lights.htm
>
> We added them after becoming similarly disgusted with the stock landing light in our plane. These things
> light up EVERYTHING like daytime!
>
> I've currently got regular 4509 bulbs in them, but I just burned one out a couple of days ago (after MAYBE 25
> hours of use), so I'm switching to the Q4509s (the quartz-halogen equivalent), which I've used successfully
> for years in the nose.

I've been going through lots of bulbs this year too, and I was going to try the quartz. But I noticed
Aircraftspruce selling a "Galaxy" brand (non-quartz) for $10 each (vs $25 for the GE), so I ordered a few of
those to try. Maybe Galaxy will start selling a quartz version for $30!!!
--
Cheers,
John Clonts

tony roberts
October 19th 05, 06:15 AM
Just got the reply from Lo Presti - it isn't STC'd for my model - 172H.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

In article <nospam-D9AF1E.20104017102005@shawnews>,
tony roberts > wrote:

> Thanks for the replies.
> I checked out LoPresti Boom Beam and on their website they didn't
> include the Cessna 172H so I emailed them. I'll report back on whether
> it's available for my plane.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tony

tony roberts
October 19th 05, 06:19 AM
My A&E tells me that field approval is almost impossible in Canada if
there is a similar product with STC.
He also tells me to expect to pay more than $5000.00 for field approval
if there isn't and STC'd product.
- apparently there is only one guy in all of BC who can sign off a
field approval.

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

In article >,
Javier Henderson > wrote:

> Bob Chilcoat wrote:
> > Yeah, but you won't like the price. Google LoPresti Boom Beam.
> >

> I installed, with a field approval and the assistance of regular
> contributor Jim Weir, a set of HID lights from RMD Aircraft.
>
> Half the price for similar parts, and the suckers are BRIGHT.
>
> Highly recommended, the installation was a snap.
>
> -jav

tony roberts
October 19th 05, 06:27 AM
Hi Michelle
Why not Quartz on both?
Is incandescent better for taxiing?
I would have thought that landing with the taxi and landing light on -
both quartz, would have given the most light.

Thanks

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

In article . net>,
Michelle P > wrote:

> George,
> I ran the standard lamp as a taxi on the left and a Quartz for landing
> in the right aimed further out.
> Works great.
> Michelle
>
> George Patterson wrote:
>
> > tony roberts wrote:
> >
> >> I recall reading about a landing light bulb that is a lot brighter
> >> than the usual ones.
> >

> > They may be talking about the quartz bulb. It's brighter, but it also
> > has a narrower beam. That means you can see things further away, but
> > it doesn't illuminate well to the sides.
> >
> > I had two in my Maule. I would never use them in a tailwheel aircraft
> > again.
> >
> > George Patterson
> > Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your
> > neighbor.
> > It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Michelle P
October 19th 05, 10:43 AM
Wider beam. I do not need to see one spot when taxing I need to see the
taxiway or more.
Michelle

tony roberts wrote:

>Hi Michelle
>Why not Quartz on both?
>Is incandescent better for taxiing?
>I would have thought that landing with the taxi and landing light on -
>both quartz, would have given the most light.
>
>Thanks
>
>Tony

Longworth
October 19th 05, 03:47 PM
John Clonts wrote:

> I've been going through lots of bulbs this year too, and I was going to try the quartz. But I noticed
> Aircraftspruce selling a "Galaxy" brand (non-quartz) for $10 each (vs $25 for the GE), so I ordered a few of
> those to try. Maybe Galaxy will start selling a quartz version for $30!!!
> --

John,
I have been using Galaxy brand for the last few years. I started out
trying the non-quartz which seemed to last as long as the GE (25hrs!).
Aircraft Spruce does sell Galaxy quartz version

11-02220 GALAXY 4509Q HALOGEN LAND LGT $19.85

I put one in at least 100hrs ago and it still works.

We intially did the same as Michelle (.. the standard lamp as a
taxi on the left and a Quartz for landing
in the right aimed further out) but got tired of changing the standard
lamp and have used Quartz for both. Rick likes to leave both lights on
all the time (!) so the Quartz versions work out well for us.

Hai Longworth

John Clonts
October 20th 05, 04:43 AM
"Longworth" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> John Clonts wrote:
>> >

>> I've been going through lots of bulbs this year too, and I was going to try the quartz. But I noticed
>> Aircraftspruce selling a "Galaxy" brand (non-quartz) for $10 each (vs $25 for the GE), so I ordered a few of
>> those to try. Maybe Galaxy will start selling a quartz version for $30!!!
>> --
>
> John,
> I have been using Galaxy brand for the last few years. I started out
> trying the non-quartz which seemed to last as long as the GE (25hrs!).
> Aircraft Spruce does sell Galaxy quartz version
>
> 11-02220 GALAXY 4509Q HALOGEN LAND LGT $19.85
>
> I put one in at least 100hrs ago and it still works.

AWESOME, I had missed that! Thanks, I'll try them!

John

John Clonts
October 20th 05, 04:47 AM
"John Clonts" > wrote in message ...

> "Longworth" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> John Clonts wrote:
>>> >

>>> I've been going through lots of bulbs this year too, and I was going to try the quartz. But I noticed
>>> Aircraftspruce selling a "Galaxy" brand (non-quartz) for $10 each (vs $25 for the GE), so I ordered a few
>>> of
>>> those to try. Maybe Galaxy will start selling a quartz version for $30!!!
>>> --
>>
>> John,
>> I have been using Galaxy brand for the last few years. I started out
>> trying the non-quartz which seemed to last as long as the GE (25hrs!).
>> Aircraft Spruce does sell Galaxy quartz version
>>
>> 11-02220 GALAXY 4509Q HALOGEN LAND LGT $19.85
>>
>> I put one in at least 100hrs ago and it still works.
>>

> AWESOME, I had missed that! Thanks, I'll try them!

Spoke too soon, I need the 4591 (28v version).... :(

October 20th 05, 06:14 AM
I have installed a 4519 wide angle bulb(PAR 36 14V, 100W) along with a
Q4509. I find this gives the best of both worlds to those that have a
two landing light system. They both have a much longer service life
than the 4509. Also, you might consider using the Whelen 4509, the one
that costs $75. It has a life of 250 hrs which is 10 times as long as
the standard 4509. For those of you that have your mechanic replace the
bulbs, this could save money in the long run, as well as being alot les
of a pain to have to do all the time.

Regards,
Bruce Cunningham
N30464 C177A

tony roberts wrote:
> I recall reading about a landing light bulb that is a lot brighter than
> the usual ones.
>
> I swear that when I turn mine on, it actually makes everything darker :)
>
> Anyone have any leads to a REALLY bright landing light.
>
> Tony
> --
>
> Tony Roberts
> PP-ASEL
> VFR OTT
> Night
> Cessna 172H C-GICE

George Patterson
October 20th 05, 02:58 PM
John Clonts wrote:

> Why was it a mistake?

As is the case with most aircraft, the landing lights are lined up to give good
illumination in the direction of flight. When a tailwheel aircraft is on the
ground that leaves the lights pointing at the sky. Maule solves this problem by
having aluminum mirrors over the lights. These reflect light down onto the
taxiway pretty well with the standard bulbs. The narrower beam of the quartz
bulbs doesn't hit the mirror. It's almost as bad as not having the lights on at all.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Kyler Laird
October 21st 05, 05:17 AM
tony roberts > writes:

>Just got the reply from Lo Presti - it isn't STC'd for my model - 172H.

It was easy enough for me to get a field approval (PA-23-250) for it.

--kyler

TripFarmer
October 21st 05, 03:40 PM
I just ordered a Q4509 Galaxy from Aircraft Spruce yesterday. Bad thing
is I just put a Q4509 GE in 10 hours ago and they seem to last me over 100
hours. Good thing is Aircraft Spruce ships so fast (UPS Ground) that I will
have it today. Now that it's getting dark sooner I'd rather have a spare
in the plane than not.

Trip
8501N
PA28-235

In article >, says...

>"Longworth" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> John Clonts wrote:
>>> >

>>> I've been going through lots of bulbs this year too, and I was going to try t
>he quartz. But I noticed
>>> Aircraftspruce selling a "Galaxy" brand (non-quartz) for $10 each (vs $25 for
> the GE), so I ordered a few of
>>> those to try. Maybe Galaxy will start selling a quartz version for $30!!!
>>> --
>>
>> John,
>> I have been using Galaxy brand for the last few years. I started out
>> trying the non-quartz which seemed to last as long as the GE (25hrs!).
>> Aircraft Spruce does sell Galaxy quartz version
>>
>> 11-02220 GALAXY 4509Q HALOGEN LAND LGT $19.85
>>
>> I put one in at least 100hrs ago and it still works.
>>

>AWESOME, I had missed that! Thanks, I'll try them!
>
>John

The Visitor
October 22nd 05, 08:24 PM
http://www.rmdaircraft.com/hid.html

yes I have stuff on order from him, wingtips with HID!! I am looking
forward to it. His looks to be the nicest, I think he builds them for
knots2u people also.

Javier Henderson wrote:

> Bob Chilcoat wrote:
>
>>Yeah, but you won't like the price. Google LoPresti Boom Beam.
>>

> I installed, with a field approval and the assistance of regular
> contributor Jim Weir, a set of HID lights from RMD Aircraft.
>
> Half the price for similar parts, and the suckers are BRIGHT.
>
> Highly recommended, the installation was a snap.
>
> -jav

Al Gilson
October 23rd 05, 03:43 AM
Tony...have you tried cleaning your glasses? -or- taking off those
"photograys?"

:^)

Al

tony roberts wrote:
> I recall reading about a landing light bulb that is a lot brighter than
> the usual ones.
>
> I swear that when I turn mine on, it actually makes everything darker :)
>
> Anyone have any leads to a REALLY bright landing light.
>
> Tony

Javier Henderson
October 23rd 05, 06:16 AM
The Visitor wrote:

> http://www.rmdaircraft.com/hid.html
>

> yes I have stuff on order from him, wingtips with HID!! I am looking
> forward to it. His looks to be the nicest, I think he builds them for
> knots2u people also.

That is indeed the case.

I dealt with RMD directly, the owner, Bob DeBorde, was a pleasure to
work with.

-jav

The Visitor
October 23rd 05, 07:01 PM
Thanks, good to hear.
I await mine!!!
As for Bob, yes he is nice to deal with!

Javier Henderson wrote:

> I dealt with RMD directly, the owner, Bob DeBorde, was a pleasure to
> work with.
>
> -jav

tony roberts
October 24th 05, 02:40 AM
> Tony...have you tried cleaning your glasses? -or- taking off those
> "photograys?"

But you told me that I wouldn't look cool without my shades!

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

George Patterson
October 25th 05, 03:23 PM
Kyler Laird wrote:

> It was easy enough for me to get a field approval (PA-23-250) for it.

Tony's in Canada.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Google