PDA

View Full Version : $340 Million Powerball

Montblack
October 19th 05, 01:21 AM
It's airplane-buying time again. It's been almost 3 years!!

http://www.powerball.com/
$340 million dollar prize. Drawing on Wednesday evening.

<http://www.powerball.com/content/pressreleases/Powerball20021226-0.shtm>
12-25-2002 (Christmas Day)

Last time around the (aviation) winning numbers were:
F5, F14, F16, B29, C53, + 7

I'm buying two (2) ticket ...for me.

I'll also buy one for each of these (3) Groups ...big spender.
'Golden Rule' applies if one of these tickets wins - 'The one with the
gold...'

So what numbers :-)
Best reasons for various picks will be selected.

(1-55) Pick 5 white balls
(1-42) Pick 1 Red Powerball
White ball picks are all different.
Red Powerball may be the same number as a white ball.

(No need to pick 'em all if you just want to include a lucky number or two)

I'll buy the tickets in Minnesota at, or around, 7pm (CST) on Wed 19th, and
post the numbers before the drawing.

Montblack
Dumb and Dumber (1994)
Lloyd: You mean not good like 1 out of a 100?
Marry: I'd say more like 1 out of a million.
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance. Yeah! I read ya.

RST Engineering
October 19th 05, 02:36 AM
5 numbers -- 12 17 03 (Wright's first flight) 07 06 (Next Oshkosh)

Powerball -- ?? (Jay, help me here) (Number of rooms in Jay's hotel.)

Then again, people who bet on the lottery are the C students in my
Probability and Statistics class {;-)

Jim (I don't gamble; I play blackjack.) Weir

"Montblack" > wrote in message
> It's airplane-buying time again. It's been almost 3 years!!
>
> http://www.powerball.com/
> $340 million dollar prize. Drawing on Wednesday evening.
>
> <http://www.powerball.com/content/pressreleases/Powerball20021226-0.shtm>
> 12-25-2002 (Christmas Day)
>
> Last time around the (aviation) winning numbers were:
> F5, F14, F16, B29, C53, + 7
>
> I'm buying two (2) ticket ...for me.
>
> I'll also buy one for each of these (3) Groups ...big spender.
> 'Golden Rule' applies if one of these tickets wins - 'The one with the
> gold...'
>
> So what numbers :-)
> Best reasons for various picks will be selected.
>
> (1-55) Pick 5 white balls
> (1-42) Pick 1 Red Powerball
> White ball picks are all different.
> Red Powerball may be the same number as a white ball.
>
> (No need to pick 'em all if you just want to include a lucky number or
> two)
>
> I'll buy the tickets in Minnesota at, or around, 7pm (CST) on Wed 19th,
> and post the numbers before the drawing.
>

> Montblack
> Dumb and Dumber (1994)
> Lloyd: You mean not good like 1 out of a 100?
> Marry: I'd say more like 1 out of a million.
> Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance. Yeah! I read ya.

Jay Beckman
October 19th 05, 04:04 AM
"RST Engineering" > wrote in message
>5 numbers -- 12 17 03 (Wright's first flight) 07 06 (Next Oshkosh)
>
> Powerball -- ?? (Jay, help me here) (Number of rooms in Jay's hotel.)
>

> Then again, people who bet on the lottery are the C students in my
> Probability and Statistics class {;-)
>

> Jim (I don't gamble; I play blackjack.) Weir

Remeber,

You can't lose if you don't play!

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

N93332
October 19th 05, 04:23 AM
"Jay Beckman" > wrote in message
>> Jim (I don't gamble; I play blackjack.) Weir
>
> Remeber,
>
> You can't lose if you don't play!

You can't win either...

Clay
October 19th 05, 04:24 AM
It is only gambling when you don't win.

RST Engineering
October 19th 05, 04:29 AM
I live an hour away from Reno, and I haven't lost a dollar at blackjack in
ten years. Sure, it takes me three or four hours to come back from a losing
streak, but it also gives me the opportunity to leave the table half an hour
later with double my original stake.

Jim

"Jay Beckman" > wrote in message

>> Jim (I don't gamble; I play blackjack.) Weir
>
> Remeber,
>
> You can't lose if you don't play!

John Theune
October 19th 05, 02:51 PM
Jay Beckman wrote:
> "RST Engineering" > wrote in message
>
>>5 numbers -- 12 17 03 (Wright's first flight) 07 06 (Next Oshkosh)
>>
>>Powerball -- ?? (Jay, help me here) (Number of rooms in Jay's hotel.)
>>

>>Then again, people who bet on the lottery are the C students in my
>>Probability and Statistics class {;-)
>>

>>Jim (I don't gamble; I play blackjack.) Weir
>

> Remeber,
>
> You can't lose if you don't play!
>
> Jay Beckman
> PP-ASEL
> Chandler, AZ

And lightning hit's the ground somewhere

Jay Honeck
October 19th 05, 03:45 PM
> Powerball -- ?? (Jay, help me here) (Number of rooms in Jay's hotel.)

27.

And if I win, I promise to split the earnings with everyone here!

Oh, wait -- you mean I have to actually *buy* a ticket?

Fuhgetaboutit!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Montblack
October 19th 05, 03:58 PM
("Jay Honeck" wrote)
> And if I win, I promise to split the earnings with everyone here!
>
> Oh, wait -- you mean I have to actually *buy* a ticket?
>
> ['garbled in transmission']

No, no and no. I'll by the (3) tickets. All you folks need to do is supply
me with the winning numbers. That's easy enough.

And don't worry about splitting the earnings either, I'll take care of that.
<g>

Numbers please. I'm buying the Groups' (3) tickets in 9 hours.

Montblack

N93332
October 19th 05, 04:18 PM
"Montblack" > wrote in message
> No, no and no. I'll by the (3) tickets. All you folks need to do is supply
> me with the winning numbers. That's easy enough.

You should probably buy the tickets instead. ;-)

Here's my number: 46, as in Ercoupe...

I'll also invest in my own ticket later today.

-Greg B.

revdmv
October 19th 05, 04:24 PM
let's see my old favorite is 2,3,5,23,32 and 9

Jose
October 19th 05, 04:29 PM
My number is three. That's the number of planes in our club. There's
also a well known airplane with that number and my initial.

Jose

Jim Burns
October 19th 05, 04:35 PM
Ok Ok... try these
3 - J3 Cub, trainer of thousands or the number of airplanes every pilot
really needs.
51 - P51 Mustang
38 - P38 in honor of Glacier Girl
28 - PA28 in honor of the Cherokees
17 - B17 in honor of the few remaining and for those that were lost

18 - Powerball for the age we wish we were again.

Don't blame me if they don't win, I win every year. I never buy a ticket
and they still give me a lottery credit on my real estate taxes.

Jim

"Montblack" > wrote in message

> Numbers please. I'm buying the Groups' (3) tickets in 9 hours.
>

> Montblack

Stubby
October 19th 05, 04:58 PM
RST Engineering wrote:
> 5 numbers -- 12 17 03 (Wright's first flight) 07 06 (Next Oshkosh)
>
> Powerball -- ?? (Jay, help me here) (Number of rooms in Jay's hotel.)
>

> Then again, people who bet on the lottery are the C students in my
> Probability and Statistics class {;-)

Can any of your students expound on the difference between having zero
lottery tickets and having one?

October 19th 05, 05:10 PM
In rec.aviation.owning revdmv > wrote:
> let's see my old favorite is 2,3,5,23,32 and 9

Probabality.... simple.... same as anything else you pick:
1,2,3,4,5,6

Odds of being struck by lightening in your lifetime: 1:3000
http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/ams_lightning_rec.htm

It is common for people to refer to the chance of being struck by
lightning as an improbable or unlikely event. Yet actual statistics
say otherwise. Lightning strikes the ground approximately 25 million
times each year in the United States (Orville and Huffines, 2001).
Most people greatly underestimate the probability of being involved in
a lightning strike. According to the National Weather Service, the
chance of an individual in the United States being killed or inured
during a given year is one in 240,000. Assuming an average life span
of 80 years, a person's odds over their lifetime becomes one in 3000.

Odds of winning a BIG lottery: 1:308,000,000

From my perspective, I'll purchase a lottery ticket the day after I
(survive) and am struck by lightening 308,000,000 / 3000 = 102666.66
times!

From my perspective, the lottery is just a "stupid tax" that I am
not required to pay. However, many others do... "Hi, I'd like to
pay $100 of stupid tax today". Instead of reading and investing.
May I suggest that if you got this far thru my posting that you
consider reading"
"Rich Dad, Poor Dad",
"The Millionaire Next Door", and
"Inc, and Grow Rich".

Yes, it DOES take work... but it takes work to earn the $ just to give
it away to a lottery. However, in investing/saving, your money works
FOR you, instead of paying even more "taxes" in the "hope" (against
ALL experience and probability) of growing ricy.

Now, if you are "gaming" and not "gambling", and playing the lottery
is "entertainment", have fun at it and enjoy it!

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com WEB http://users.frii.com/jer/

Gig 601XL Builder
October 19th 05, 05:11 PM
"Stubby" > wrote in message
> RST Engineering wrote:
>> 5 numbers -- 12 17 03 (Wright's first flight) 07 06 (Next Oshkosh)
>>
>> Powerball -- ?? (Jay, help me here) (Number of rooms in Jay's hotel.)
>>

>> Then again, people who bet on the lottery are the C students in my
>> Probability and Statistics class {;-)
>
> Can any of your students expound on the difference between having zero
> lottery tickets and having one?

You mean they get a C? Talk about grade inflation.

Jose
October 19th 05, 06:13 PM
> Odds of winning a BIG lottery: 1:308,000,000

Wrong.

Odds of winning a BIG lottery if you purchase one ticket in your
lifetime: 1:308,000,000

Assuming a lifespan of 80 years, purchasing one ticket every day, the
odds of winning go up to something like 1:10,000. Now that's not so
bad, is it? :)

Jose

David Dyer-Bennet
October 19th 05, 08:18 PM
Jose > writes:

> > Odds of winning a BIG lottery: 1:308,000,000
>
> Wrong.
>
> Odds of winning a BIG lottery if you purchase one ticket in your
> lifetime: 1:308,000,000

Thought one ticket was 1:80,000,000; but their site says that as of
6-April it's 1:146,100,000 (and it wasn't what I said even before
that). They apparently added two more white ball numbers, so now
there are 55 white balls. 5 are drawn, so the odds of drawing any
given set of numbers should be 55-Choose-5 * 42, or 3,478,761 * 42,
or...hey, I got the same number they did! 146.1e6 ("55-Choose-5"
being my text representation of the big-C notation used in math for
combinations.)

Or is this more to the tune of "87.5% of all statistics are made up on
the spot"?

(Note that for figuring *financial* odds, you have to somehow include
the odds of multiple people holding the winning number, hence
splitting the jackpot. Especially on these mega-jackpots, that's
quite likely.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, >, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

David Dyer-Bennet
October 19th 05, 08:20 PM
Stubby > writes:

> RST Engineering wrote:
> > 5 numbers -- 12 17 03 (Wright's first flight) 07 06 (Next Oshkosh)
> > Powerball -- ?? (Jay, help me here) (Number of rooms in Jay's hotel.)
> > Then again, people who bet on the lottery are the C students in my
> > Probability and Statistics class {;-)
>
> Can any of your students expound on the difference between having zero
> lottery tickets and having one?

I've suspected for years that the odds of being mailed the big check
by mistake were about the same as the odds of winning. :-)

But on closer examination I'm forced to conclude it's just not true;
there have been *lots* of winners since Powerball started, but I don't
know of a single instance of anybody being mailed the check by mistake
(at least who got to *keep* it). Oh well.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, >, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

Andrew Gideon
October 19th 05, 08:21 PM
John Theune wrote:

> And lightning hit's the ground somewhere

Not every bolt of lightening reaches the ground, if that's what you're
meaning.

- Andrew

Jose
October 19th 05, 08:53 PM
> Or is this more to the tune of "87.5% of all statistics are made up on
> the spot"?

Yes, and the other 43.9% of them were made up long ago and therefore not
subject to question. :)

Jose

Jay Honeck
October 19th 05, 09:01 PM
> From my perspective, the lottery is just a "stupid tax" that I am
> not required to pay. However, many others do...

That's my perspective, too.

Yet, today, for some reason, Mary and I blew a $5 bill on FIVE (count 'em --
FIVE!) Powerball tickets!

That's five more than we've ever bought before! (We actually had to ask
the clerk how to play the lottery. The people in line were incredulous...)

I feel so, so, I don't know....*stupid*...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jim Burns
October 19th 05, 09:19 PM
Now I feel depressed and lonely. I thought that you and I were the only
hold-outs left. Now I don't know what to do. Maybe I can borrow a dollar
from a stranger to buy a ticket, then I can still say I've never spent any
of my own money on the lottery. *sigh*

Just think.... for the price of a lottery ticket you could:

FLY!!! at $100 per hour for just over 36 seconds!!
or
DRINK!!! 1 tap beer (unknown size) or more during Happy Hour!!
or
BUY a condom and if you're lucky use it at no additional charge! (STD's
free, treatments and divorces extra)

Anybody got $4 they can loan me?

Jim

Jay Honeck
October 19th 05, 09:20 PM
> Anybody got $4 they can loan me?

Tell you what. Go buy 4 tickets.

If I win, I'll reimburse you...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
October 19th 05, 09:23 PM
>> > Anybody got $4 they can loan me?
>>
>> Tell you what. Go buy 4 tickets.
>>
>> If I win, I'll reimburse you...
>
> Deal! Got a credit card number for me? :)

It's in the mail. In the same envelope along with the check...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jim Burns
October 19th 05, 09:25 PM

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Anybody got $4 they can loan me?
>
> Tell you what. Go buy 4 tickets.
>
> If I win, I'll reimburse you...
>
> ;-)
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Jim Burns
October 19th 05, 09:30 PM
Dang! By the time I get it, Paul will be flying his new Turbine Ercoupe,
Powerball One.
Jim

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message

> >> Tell you what. Go buy 4 tickets.
> >>
> >> If I win, I'll reimburse you...
> >
> > Deal! Got a credit card number for me? :)
>
> It's in the mail. In the same envelope along with the check...
>
> :-)
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Chris
October 19th 05, 09:33 PM
"Montblack" > wrote in message
> It's airplane-buying time again. It's been almost 3 years!!
>
> http://www.powerball.com/
> $340 million dollar prize. Drawing on Wednesday evening.

You guys pay tax on the lottery! What a rip off!

I noticed on the website the guy who won $93m but only got $36m, talk about
being stiffed.

Our lottery pays out tax free and in a lump sum. None of this pay you over
20 years crap. You win $93m you get $93m.

N93332
October 19th 05, 09:34 PM
"Jim Burns" > wrote in message
> Dang! By the time I get it, Paul will be flying his new Turbine Ercoupe,
> Powerball One.
> Jim

And Powerball One would be a Sport Plane???

If Paul wins, he can buy several Ercoupes and have his own fleet!

;-)

-Greg B.

Jim Burns
October 19th 05, 09:42 PM
Oops... scrap the turbine.
Jim

"N93332" > wrote in message
> "Jim Burns" > wrote in message
> > Dang! By the time I get it, Paul will be flying his new Turbine
Ercoupe,
> > Powerball One.
> > Jim
>
> And Powerball One would be a Sport Plane???
>
> If Paul wins, he can buy several Ercoupes and have his own fleet!
>
> ;-)
>
> -Greg B.

October 19th 05, 11:10 PM
5, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

--

FF

Morgans
October 19th 05, 11:28 PM
"Jim Burns" > wrote

> Now I feel depressed and lonely. I thought that you and I were the only
> hold-outs left. Now I don't know what to do.

Nope. I haven't played the lotto, and will not be. Does that make you feel
better? <g>
--
Jim in NC

Montblack
October 20th 05, 01:46 AM
("Morgans" wrote)
>> Now I feel depressed and lonely. I thought that you and I were the only
>> hold-outs left. Now I don't know what to do.

> Nope. I haven't played the lotto, and will not be. Does that make you
> feel
> better? <g>

Jim(s), you're still in if we win.

I'm off to buy the PowerBall tickets right now, my five dollars clutched
tightly in my fist - two of those are for (100%) Mont and (100%) Black. <g>

"P" Montblack

Dale
October 20th 05, 02:43 AM

> Odds of winning a BIG lottery if you purchase one ticket in your lifetime:
> 1:308,000,000
>
> Assuming a lifespan of 80 years, purchasing one ticket every day, the odds
> of winning go up to something like 1:10,000. Now that's not so bad, is
> it? :)
>
> Jose
> --
Jose, I think you may be wrong about the odds. If you buy a ticket every
day, the odds are the same each day 1:308,000,000. If you buy 10 tickets
each day the odds for each ticket to win is still the same.
I think.
Dale

Jose
October 20th 05, 04:15 AM
> Jose, I think you may be wrong about the odds. If you buy a ticket every
> day, the odds are the same each day 1:308,000,000. If you buy 10 tickets
> each day the odds for each ticket to win is still the same.

You are right inasmuch as the odds are the same every day (not counting
the different number of people that buy tickets for any given game).
However, the more tickets you buy, the more your =overall= chance of
winning at =least= one game. For tiny chances, the increase is roughly
linear (there's such a small chance of winning more than once it can be
ignored).

Jose

Peter R.
October 20th 05, 04:34 AM
> wrote:

> 5, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

The Lost numbers began with 4, not 5. :)

--
Peter

October 20th 05, 07:43 PM
Peter R. wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> > 5, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
>
> The Lost numbers began with 4, not 5. :)

Well duh! I don't want to crash!

--

FF

October 20th 05, 07:47 PM
Chris wrote:
> "Montblack" > wrote in message
> > It's airplane-buying time again. It's been almost 3 years!!
> >
> > http://www.powerball.com/
> > $340 million dollar prize. Drawing on Wednesday evening.
> >

> You guys pay tax on the lottery! What a rip off!
>
> I noticed on the website the guy who won $93m but only got $36m, talk about
> being stiffed.
>
> Our lottery pays out tax free and in a lump sum. None of this pay you over
> 20 years crap. You win $93m you get $93m.

Who runs your lottery, some sort of organized crime syndicate?
Because, I can't believe that a governmental agency would run one
as you describe.

--

FF

Ghost
October 20th 05, 08:54 PM

>> You guys pay tax on the lottery! What a rip off!
>>
>> I noticed on the website the guy who won $93m but only got $36m, talk
>> about being stiffed.
>>
>> Our lottery pays out tax free and in a lump sum. None of this pay you
>> over 20 years crap. You win $93m you get $93m.
>
> Who runs your lottery, some sort of organized crime syndicate?
> Because, I can't believe that a governmental agency would run one
> as you describe.

Canada.. does not charge any tax on lottery winnings..
on interest earned, but not on amount won. Current 6-49 national Lottery is
currently up to around $30 million and the winner will get a cheque for all of it.

"Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you"
Dave Allen [1936 - 2005]

W P Dixon
October 20th 05, 08:58 PM
Yeah,
but you have to live in Canada ;)

Patrick
student SP
aircraft structural mech
and couldn't win a bet on a one horse, horse race!!!

"Ghost" > wrote in message

>> You guys pay tax on the lottery! What a rip off!
>>
>> I noticed on the website the guy who won $93m but only got $36m, talk
>> about being stiffed.
>>
>> Our lottery pays out tax free and in a lump sum. None of this pay you
>> over 20 years crap. You win $93m you get $93m.
>
> Who runs your lottery, some sort of organized crime syndicate?
> Because, I can't believe that a governmental agency would run one
> as you describe.

Canada.. does not charge any tax on lottery winnings..
on interest earned, but not on amount won. Current 6-49 national Lottery is
currently up to around $30 million and the winner will get a cheque for all
of it.

"Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you"
Dave Allen [1936 - 2005]

Ghost
October 20th 05, 09:18 PM
In ,
W P Dixon > typed:
> Yeah,
> but you have to live in Canada ;)

That is certainly one reason why I do.. among many others.. [g]
Principle among them, of course, the fact that I was born and raised here..

> Patrick
> student SP
> aircraft structural mech
> and couldn't win a bet on a one horse, horse race!!!
>
> "Ghost" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> You guys pay tax on the lottery! What a rip off!
>>>
>>> I noticed on the website the guy who won $93m but only got $36m, talk
>>> about being stiffed.
>>>
>>> Our lottery pays out tax free and in a lump sum. None of this pay you
>>> over 20 years crap. You win $93m you get $93m.
>>
>> Who runs your lottery, some sort of organized crime syndicate?
>> Because, I can't believe that a governmental agency would run one
>> as you describe.
>
> Canada.. does not charge any tax on lottery winnings..
> on interest earned, but not on amount won. Current 6-49 national Lottery
> is currently up to around $30 million and the winner will get a cheque
> for all of it.

If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap.

Chris
October 21st 05, 01:09 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Chris wrote:
>> "Montblack" > wrote in message
>> > It's airplane-buying time again. It's been almost 3 years!!
>> >
>> > http://www.powerball.com/
>> > $340 million dollar prize. Drawing on Wednesday evening.
>> >

>> You guys pay tax on the lottery! What a rip off!
>>
>> I noticed on the website the guy who won $93m but only got $36m, talk
>> about
>> being stiffed.
>>
>> Our lottery pays out tax free and in a lump sum. None of this pay you
>> over
>> 20 years crap. You win $93m you get $93m.
>
> Who runs your lottery, some sort of organized crime syndicate?
> Because, I can't believe that a governmental agency would run one
> as you describe.

The National Lottery licenced by the Government
http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/about/aboutHistory.do

You have to believe it too.
I can buy tickets on-line too.

Jay Honeck
October 21st 05, 01:27 AM
That is certainly one reason why I do.. among many others.. [g]
Principle among them, of course, the fact that I was born and raised here..

Then it's not your fault...

:-)

Just kidding! We love Canada! Why, heck, it's like our 51st state, but
without having to pay taxes!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Darrel Toepfer
October 21st 05, 02:31 AM
Ghost wrote:

>>>Our lottery pays out tax free and in a lump sum. None of this pay you
>>>over 20 years crap. You win $93m you get $93m.
>>
>>Who runs your lottery, some sort of organized crime syndicate?
>>Because, I can't believe that a governmental agency would run one
>>as you describe.
>
> Canada.. does not charge any tax on lottery winnings..
> on interest earned, but not on amount won. Current 6-49 national Lottery is
> currently up to around $30 million and the winner will get a cheque for all of it.

Yeah but what is that in real money? ;-)

October 21st 05, 03:04 AM
Jim Burns wrote:
> Now I feel depressed and lonely. I thought that you and I were the only
> hold-outs left. Now I don't know what to do. Maybe I can borrow a dollar
> from a stranger to buy a ticket, then I can still say I've never spent any
> of my own money on the lottery. *sigh*
>
> Just think.... for the price of a lottery ticket you could:

I'm still with you here. I always refered to it as a tax on those who
aren't good at math. In Florida, they have been running ads about how
lame it is to only play if the jackpot is high. Apparently enough
people do that to affect their take noticably. Wow.

Now, Montblac, if you do win, do I still get in on the deal? I follow
this group almost daily, but I'm still a student pilot so I don't have
much to add generally.

John Stevens
Solo Student, 32.6 hours

Montblack
October 21st 05, 04:45 AM
wrote)
[snip]
> Now, Montblac, if you do win, do I still get in on the deal? I follow
> this group almost daily, but I'm still a student pilot so I don't have
> much to add generally.

Sure. (See note below)

BTW, you have more to add than you realize.

Montblack
(Um, we didn't win. Not even close)

Ghost
October 21st 05, 04:48 AM
In ,
Darrel Toepfer > typed:

>>> Who runs your lottery, some sort of organized crime syndicate?
>>> Because, I can't believe that a governmental agency would run one
>>> as you describe.
>>
>> Canada.. does not charge any tax on lottery winnings..
>> on interest earned, but not on amount won. Current 6-49 national Lottery
>> is currently up to around $30 million and the winner will get a cheque
>> for all of it.
>
> Yeah but what is that in real money? ;-)

I assume you are referring to US Dllars, or Euros?. Yen.. etc.. in any event these days about .85 cents US, but then we still get to keep it all, not turn over 50% to the govt, or wait 20 yrs to collect, while still paying taxes.. I'll take our way.. [g] Might be less, but it's all mine, and I can spend it now.. assuming one wins, of course [g]

Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refrigerator.

Anthony W
October 21st 05, 06:34 AM
wrote:
> Jim Burns wrote:
>
> Now, Montblac, if you do win, do I still get in on the deal? I follow
> this group almost daily, but I'm still a student pilot so I don't have
> much to add generally.
>
> John Stevens
> Solo Student, 32.6 hours

The winner was in Jacksonville, Oregon. A tiny town near the California
border. I haven't been there in over 25 years but there wasn't much to
the town then. I suspect that lottery winnings is more than the rest of
the town is worth...

Tony

Anthony W
October 21st 05, 06:35 AM
Ghost wrote:

> Might be less, but it's all mine, and I can spend it now.. assuming one
wins, of course [g]

That's the hard part. ;o)

Tony

David Dyer-Bennet
October 21st 05, 07:01 PM
"Jay Honeck" > writes:

> > From my perspective, the lottery is just a "stupid tax" that I am
> > not required to pay. However, many others do...
>
> That's my perspective, too.
>
> Yet, today, for some reason, Mary and I blew a $5 bill on FIVE (count 'em --
> FIVE!) Powerball tickets!
>
> That's five more than we've ever bought before! (We actually had to ask
> the clerk how to play the lottery. The people in line were incredulous...)
>
> I feel so, so, I don't know....*stupid*...
>
> :-)

I've called it "paying my stupidity tax" quite often myself.

Let me offer for your possible use my rationalizaton: While, in
strictly *financial* terms it's a bad bet, that's not what actually
matters. In some arbitrary measure of personal "utility", an
occasional dollar spent on a lottery ticket is a complete triviality,
it doesn't constrain any other portion of my life at all. However,
winning 340 million dollars would completely transform some segments
of my life (in ways I think would be for the better), a great increase
in utility. Hence buying a lotter ticket is risking "nothing" to
potentially (very low probability) gain a great deal -- clearly a
rational decision.

Hope that helps!
--
David Dyer-Bennet, >, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

Jay Honeck
October 21st 05, 10:29 PM
> > I feel so, so, I don't know....*stupid*...

> Hence buying a lotter ticket is risking "nothing" to
> potentially (very low probability) gain a great deal -- clearly a
> rational decision.
>
> Hope that helps!

I like the way you think, David. It probably hurts your head, but I
like it, nonetheless...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Chris
October 22nd 05, 12:07 AM
"David Dyer-Bennet" > wrote in message
> "Jay Honeck" > writes:
>
>> > From my perspective, the lottery is just a "stupid tax" that I am
>> > not required to pay. However, many others do...
>>
>> That's my perspective, too.
>>
>> Yet, today, for some reason, Mary and I blew a $5 bill on FIVE (count
>> 'em --
>> FIVE!) Powerball tickets!
>>
>> That's five more than we've ever bought before! (We actually had to ask
>> the clerk how to play the lottery. The people in line were
>> incredulous...)
>>
>> I feel so, so, I don't know....*stupid*...
>>
>> :-)
>
> I've called it "paying my stupidity tax" quite often myself.
>
> Let me offer for your possible use my rationalizaton: While, in
> strictly *financial* terms it's a bad bet, that's not what actually
> matters. In some arbitrary measure of personal "utility", an
> occasional dollar spent on a lottery ticket is a complete triviality,
> it doesn't constrain any other portion of my life at all. However,
> winning 340 million dollars would completely transform some segments
> of my life (in ways I think would be for the better), a great increase
> in utility. Hence buying a lotter ticket is risking "nothing" to
> potentially (very low probability) gain a great deal -- clearly a
> rational decision.

Except that you wont win $340m by the time the deductions are made.

gregg
October 22nd 05, 01:47 AM
David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> "Jay Honeck" > writes:
>
>> > From my perspective, the lottery is just a "stupid tax" that I am
>> > not required to pay. However, many others do...
>>
>> That's my perspective, too.
>>
>> Yet, today, for some reason, Mary and I blew a $5 bill on FIVE (count 'em
>> -- FIVE!) Powerball tickets!
>>
>> That's five more than we've ever bought before! (We actually had to ask
>> the clerk how to play the lottery. The people in line were
>> incredulous...)
>>
>> I feel so, so, I don't know....*stupid*...
>>
>> :-)
>
> I've called it "paying my stupidity tax" quite often myself.

Here in Massachusetts, only a fraction of the lottery ticket proceeds goes
to the winning pot. More than 50% (I believe) goes to the education
department. Might be wrong on the percentage - I'll have to check.

So buying a lottery ticket helps the State Education department. And,
eventually, SOMEONE wins the pot.

Gregg

Replicas of 15th-19th century nautical navigational instruments,
Restoration of my 1919 Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat, and
Steambending FAQ with photos:
http://home.comcast.net/~saville/index.html

UltraJohn
October 22nd 05, 12:35 PM
Chris wrote:

> "David Dyer-Bennet" > wrote in message
>> potentially (very low probability) gain a great deal -- clearly a
>> rational decision.
>>
> Except that you wont win $340m by the time the deductions are made.

Yes Chris but in my state if the lottery hit $340 million your take if done
on installments would be about 8.8 million after taxes and yes the
government is getting a huge part of it especially since basically they're
paying you the interest off of it. But hey I think I can find something
constructive (and yes blow some)to do with 8.8 million.
Our lottery works out to you get about $26K per million jackpot and is
currently at $108 million (at least before last nights drawing).
John

David Dyer-Bennet
October 25th 05, 05:17 AM
"Chris" > writes:

> >> That's my perspective, too.
> >>
> >> Yet, today, for some reason, Mary and I blew a $5 bill on FIVE (count
> >> 'em --
> >> FIVE!) Powerball tickets!
> >>
> >> That's five more than we've ever bought before! (We actually had to ask
> >> the clerk how to play the lottery. The people in line were
> >> incredulous...)
> >>
> >> I feel so, so, I don't know....*stupid*...
> >>
> >> :-)
> >
> > I've called it "paying my stupidity tax" quite often myself.
> >
> > Let me offer for your possible use my rationalizaton: While, in
> > strictly *financial* terms it's a bad bet, that's not what actually
> > matters. In some arbitrary measure of personal "utility", an
> > occasional dollar spent on a lottery ticket is a complete triviality,
> > it doesn't constrain any other portion of my life at all. However,
> > winning 340 million dollars would completely transform some segments
> > of my life (in ways I think would be for the better), a great increase
> > in utility. Hence buying a lotter ticket is risking "nothing" to
> > potentially (very low probability) gain a great deal -- clearly a
> > rational decision.
> >
> Except that you wont win $340m by the time the deductions are made.

So what? The argument doesn't depend on the exact amount. If I
netted *50 million* after taxes and all it'd *still* completely
transform some segments of my life. Heck, if I netted *10* million
after taxes it would.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, >, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

Google