PDA

View Full Version : EL Cockpit Lighting?

JB
October 19th 05, 04:41 PM
Is anyone using electroluminescent lighting in their cockpit? My 1979
Warrior has small bulbs behind the cluster and the lighting has never
been great. A scan usually involves holding a flashlight! I was
interested in the 2" wide EL strips that go under the glareshield and
are sold by several companies. But thought I would ask around before
ordering.

Any users out there who can list pros/cons??

THanks!!

--JB

Marco Leon
October 19th 05, 05:04 PM
Take the plastic panel off and look at your bulbs. My 1978 Warrior had dark
blue "rubbers" on each of the light bulbs that decreased their
effectiveness. Take them off and see if it's enough. It worked for me. You
can also by replacement bulbs at most any Radio Shack.

Marco Leon

"JB" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Is anyone using electroluminescent lighting in their cockpit? My 1979
> Warrior has small bulbs behind the cluster and the lighting has never
> been great. A scan usually involves holding a flashlight! I was
> interested in the 2" wide EL strips that go under the glareshield and
> are sold by several companies. But thought I would ask around before
> ordering.
>
> Any users out there who can list pros/cons??
>
> THanks!!
>
> --JB

http://www.usenet.com

Gig 601XL Builder
October 19th 05, 05:13 PM
"Marco Leon" <mmleon(at)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Take the plastic panel off and look at your bulbs. My 1978 Warrior had
> dark
> blue "rubbers" on each of the light bulbs ...

But now you have to worry about a bunch of baby bulbs.

Blanche
October 19th 05, 05:17 PM
When I took the panel off the pa28, I found all the GE53 bulbs were
painted red. Definitely archaic. So I dropped by the local lighting
supply store and bought a couple dozen of the clear bulbs. Replaced
everything behind the panel except the bottom left corner (can't
reach it no matter what!).

No further problem reading/seeing any instrument, and it cost less
than $20 in lamps.

Marco Leon
October 19th 05, 05:19 PM
"Gig 601XL Builder" <wr.giacona@coxDOTnet> wrote in message

> But now you have to worry about a bunch of baby bulbs.

The POQ method always worked for me. Trust me, once he takes those things
off, the difference will be, uh, night and day. He'll never put them on
again.

http://www.usenet.com

October 19th 05, 05:20 PM
Blanche > wrote:
: When I took the panel off the pa28, I found all the GE53 bulbs were
: painted red. Definitely archaic. So I dropped by the local lighting
: supply store and bought a couple dozen of the clear bulbs. Replaced
: everything behind the panel except the bottom left corner (can't
: reach it no matter what!).

: No further problem reading/seeing any instrument, and it cost less
: than $20 in lamps.

I'm a believer in colored lights for the cockpit, but I prefer green as the
eyes are more sensitive to green. Has anyone tried green GE53 bulbs in a panel?

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

JB
October 19th 05, 06:07 PM
Actually, I've "been there, done that". The rubbers are off!! The
fuel gauges below are barely visible and the suction guage and ammeter
on the right side have no light at all!!

Victor J. Osborne, Jr.
October 19th 05, 11:01 PM
Had the same problem. After reading you last response I thought I'd chime
in. Did the NuLites on my Archer. Worked like a charm. Slip out the
instruments Lay in the NuLites, tie the VERY THIN wire leads into a rheostat
line and your done. Add A&P signoff to mix.

--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

"JB" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Is anyone using electroluminescent lighting in their cockpit? My 1979
> Warrior has small bulbs behind the cluster and the lighting has never
> been great. A scan usually involves holding a flashlight! I was
> interested in the 2" wide EL strips that go under the glareshield and
> are sold by several companies. But thought I would ask around before
> ordering.
>
> Any users out there who can list pros/cons??
>
> THanks!!
>
> --JB

Dave
October 20th 05, 01:34 AM
This took about 3 seconds to kick in... but...

...best laugh today! :)

Dave

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:13:23 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
<wr.giacona@coxDOTnet> wrote:

>"Marco Leon" <mmleon(at)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Take the plastic panel off and look at your bulbs. My 1978 Warrior had
>> dark
>> blue "rubbers" on each of the light bulbs ...
>
>But now you have to worry about a bunch of baby bulbs.

john smith
October 21st 05, 05:00 PM
In article . com>,
"JB" > wrote:

> Is anyone using electroluminescent lighting in their cockpit? My 1979
> Warrior has small bulbs behind the cluster and the lighting has never
> been great. A scan usually involves holding a flashlight! I was
> interested in the 2" wide EL strips that go under the glareshield and
> are sold by several companies. But thought I would ask around before
> ordering.
> Any users out there who can list pros/cons??

EL lighting is nice in that it doesn't kill your night vision and can be
run off an independent/backup power supply (9V batteries).
There are commercial suppliers that you can order the length, width, and
color of strip you want and the necessary power inverter for much less
than you will pay for someone who puts the words "airplane" or
"aviation" in front of the product they are trying to sell you.
I have several three-foot lengths of EL rope and a couple of EL Krill
lights that I carry for emergency cockpit lighting.

Marco Leon
October 21st 05, 07:23 PM
Hmmm. I find that maximum brightness is too bright. Have you tried changing
the bulbs?

How about the cheap method: LED headlamp. Energizer makes one for $15 and it
has a red LED setting too. You'll even gain a light for your trim wheel ;)

Marco Leon

"JB" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Actually, I've "been there, done that". The rubbers are off!! The
> fuel gauges below are barely visible and the suction guage and ammeter
> on the right side have no light at all!!

http://www.usenet.com

Google