PDA

View Full Version : Young Eagles + AvWeb

Montblack
October 20th 05, 09:29 PM
AvWeb October 20th
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/494-full.html#190814
YOUNG EAGLES FLIGHTS CONTINUE AFTER FATALITIES...

"With 500,000 flights and 1.2 million kids safely flown as Young Eagles, we
think our safety procedures are pretty sound,"

That's more than 2 kids per flight.
A. That sucks if you're the kid stuck in back.
B. That number doesn't seem right.

If 200,000 flights have one kid, that leaves 300,000 flights for the
remaining 1 million kids.

I've seen maybe 40 Young Eagles take to the air at ANE (Anoka County -
Blaine, MN). All planes went up with one pilot, one kid.

Montblack

pbc76049
October 20th 05, 09:30 PM
A friend of mine flys a Partenavia and hauls
Young Eagles by the busload. The kids love it.

Dave Stadt
October 20th 05, 09:34 PM
"Montblack" > wrote in message
> AvWeb October 20th
> http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/494-full.html#190814
> YOUNG EAGLES FLIGHTS CONTINUE AFTER FATALITIES...
>
> "With 500,000 flights and 1.2 million kids safely flown as Young Eagles,
we
> think our safety procedures are pretty sound,"
>

> That's more than 2 kids per flight.
> A. That sucks if you're the kid stuck in back.
> B. That number doesn't seem right.
>
> If 200,000 flights have one kid, that leaves 300,000 flights for the
> remaining 1 million kids.
>
> I've seen maybe 40 Young Eagles take to the air at ANE (Anoka County -
> Blaine, MN). All planes went up with one pilot, one kid.
>

> Montblack

I have seen hundreds of YE flights. Most have 1 or 3 kids. If it's a 4
place plane three kids pile in, if a 2 place 1 kid.

George Patterson
October 20th 05, 10:25 PM
Montblack wrote:

> I've seen maybe 40 Young Eagles take to the air at ANE (Anoka County -
> Blaine, MN). All planes went up with one pilot, one kid.

and on my flights, I typically carried three, sometimes two.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Robert M. Gary
October 20th 05, 11:05 PM
I usually do 3 at a time.

Matt Whiting
October 20th 05, 11:08 PM
Montblack wrote:

> AvWeb October 20th
> http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/494-full.html#190814
> YOUNG EAGLES FLIGHTS CONTINUE AFTER FATALITIES...
>
> "With 500,000 flights and 1.2 million kids safely flown as Young Eagles,
> we think our safety procedures are pretty sound,"
>

> That's more than 2 kids per flight.
> A. That sucks if you're the kid stuck in back.
> B. That number doesn't seem right.
>
> If 200,000 flights have one kid, that leaves 300,000 flights for the
> remaining 1 million kids.
>
> I've seen maybe 40 Young Eagles take to the air at ANE (Anoka County -
> Blaine, MN). All planes went up with one pilot, one kid.
>

> Montblack

Most of the young eagles flights I've seen around here have two or three
kids in the airplane.

Matt

Ron Natalie
October 20th 05, 11:43 PM
]
> That's more than 2 kids per flight.
> A. That sucks if you're the kid stuck in back.
> B. That number doesn't seem right.

I carry three usually. I put the oldest up front. I've not heard
any complaints yet.

Gary Drescher
October 21st 05, 12:39 AM
"Montblack" > wrote in message
> AvWeb October 20th
> http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/494-full.html#190814
> YOUNG EAGLES FLIGHTS CONTINUE AFTER FATALITIES...
>
> "With 500,000 flights and 1.2 million kids safely flown as Young Eagles,
> we think our safety procedures are pretty sound,"
>
> That's more than 2 kids per flight.
> A. That sucks if you're the kid stuck in back.
> B. That number doesn't seem right.
>
> If 200,000 flights have one kid, that leaves 300,000 flights for the
> remaining 1 million kids.
>
> I've seen maybe 40 Young Eagles take to the air at ANE (Anoka County -
> Blaine, MN). All planes went up with one pilot, one kid.

You haven't mentioned any reason to think the flights at ANE are
representative of the YE flights nationwide.

--Gary

tony roberts
October 21st 05, 02:57 AM
I fly 3 per flight

> A. That sucks if you're the kid stuck in back.

It sucks a lot more if you're the kid on the ground who can't get a
flight. We routinely fly over 100 kids per YE day with 5 or 6 planes.
If we only take one per flight, a lot of those kids ain't flying.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Bob Fry
October 21st 05, 04:48 AM

M> "With 500,000 flights and 1.2 million kids safely flown as
M> Young Eagles, we think our safety procedures are pretty sound,"

M> That's more than 2 kids per flight. A. That sucks if you're
M> the kid stuck in back. B. That number doesn't seem right.

M> If 200,000 flights have one kid, that leaves 300,000 flights
M> for the remaining 1 million kids.

M> I've seen maybe 40 Young Eagles take to the air at ANE (Anoka
M> County - Blaine, MN). All planes went up with one pilot, one
M> kid.

I would think it would suck too, but a lot of kids will only fly if
their parents or school chums go along with them.

I've flown flights of 3 kids in a C-172 and 1 kid in a Cub or my
Aircoupe...I much prefer the single pax. I get the kids who are a
little braver and a little more independent (sometimes a lot more) who
don't have a need for the support of their peers or superiors. I like
that.

Montblack
October 21st 05, 05:06 AM
("tony roberts" wrote)
> It sucks a lot more if you're the kid on the ground who can't get a
> flight. We routinely fly over 100 kids per YE day with 5 or 6 planes.
> If we only take one per flight, a lot of those kids ain't flying.

Wow, from all of the posts I see my experience has NOT been the norm.

When I've been up to the north end of the field by the tower, on a weekend
Young Eagles have been flying, I've usually seen 5-8 planes lined up. One
kid per plane is escorted out to the taxiway. They have a YE staging area
inside the American Wings Museum. This was also how they handled the flights
when my niece went for her first airplane ride as a YE, a few years ago.

Maybe I've missed the busy YE weekends with lots of kids.

Montblack

Roger
October 21st 05, 07:05 AM
On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:29:44 -0500, "Montblack"
> wrote:

>AvWeb October 20th
>http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/494-full.html#190814
>YOUNG EAGLES FLIGHTS CONTINUE AFTER FATALITIES...
>
>"With 500,000 flights and 1.2 million kids safely flown as Young Eagles, we
>think our safety procedures are pretty sound,"
>

>That's more than 2 kids per flight.
>A. That sucks if you're the kid stuck in back.
>B. That number doesn't seem right.
>
>If 200,000 flights have one kid, that leaves 300,000 flights for the
>remaining 1 million kids.
>
>I've seen maybe 40 Young Eagles take to the air at ANE (Anoka County -
>Blaine, MN). All planes went up with one pilot, one kid.

I've taken many, two at a time and on a couple of occasions three.
There are a lot of "It all depends"
Some just want to go along with an older/younger
brother/sister/friend/ etc... In any case if one or both in back want
to sit up front, the beech has enough room they can change places. Of
course it's a lot easier with just two as the one steps in back and
the other comes up front. There's a foot or slightly more space
between the front seats. I just extend the time we're out a bit so
both can sit up front.

I've told the story before. Probably a number of times, but it's my
favorite as to flying Young Eagles.

It was at Barstow Airport's (3BS) "Airport Days" and although most of
the rides had been one-on-one, this one was to be a girl and her
younger brothers. Prior to the ride I could tell she was shy and the
boys were a bit over bearing even though she was older.

We went through the preflight and then boarded with the two boys in
back and the girl in the right seat. The two little bas...er brothers
had her about convinced she was going to hurl as soon as the engine
started. I finally told them if they didn't shut up they were staying
behind. That worked for about half of the taxi to the end of 18. I
finally stopped the plane and told them I wasn't kidding; Shut up or
get out! That at least held them until part way through the run up.

I kept up a running commentary of what I was doing, what I was going
to do and why. Still, it surprised me a bit as I'd never heard it get
quieter when the throttle went in. Absolute silence from the back
seat. "I think" at that point they were afraid of saying something
and then getting sick.

At any rate as the flight progressed the girl's nervousness seemed to
be evaporating. Each time I asked her a question she seemed a bit
more enthused although that apprehension was still there. I asked if
she'd like to take the controls. She responded with a shy shake of the
head, but there as a resounding "NO!" colored with more than a little
panic from the back seat. (GAWD, but that felt good)

When we turned back toward the west following US 10 toward the down
wind for 18, I asked, "Well, what do you think of it now?". Her face
light up, she was smiling from ear to ear and in a loud voice said,
"This is Fabulous!". That's the kind of response that really makes
flying kids worth while. (It was still silent from the back)

A few minutes after landing their parents came over and remarked, they
had never seen the girl so enthusiastic and talkative about something
as the ride.

In another instance I took a girl and her best friend for a ride, but
she was turning green by the time we hit cross wind. So I made a
beeline downwind. There was a 172 entering downwind about a half mile
in front of me and I remarked I was a half mile behind with a "green
one" on board. The 172 made an immediate right turn for which I
thanked them profusely.

At any rate about a half hour later I sat and talked with the girl,
her mother and her friend. She decided she'd like mom to go along and
she could sit with her friend. (I think mom had wanted to go all
along). At any rate, this time the two girls were constantly talking
and looking for things on the ground. They were able to go for a ride
complete with narration and it didn't bother her a bit this time. So
there are times when the kids get to go for a ride and don't sit in
the right seat, or even up front.

To me it's giving the kids a fun and comfortable introduction to
flying. Less than half want to take the controls, but I can usually
talk about half of them into just following through and then talking
them through holding altitude and course. A few even do some turns.

We have two aviation camps each summer. At the end of the camp the
kids do a round robin flight plan from 3BS to GDW, to MOP, and back to
3BS. I talked the boy who flew with me on one ride through straight
and level, then the turns at GDW to MOP. When we reached MOP all I had
to do was give him the heading and he made the turn while holding
altitude. That was a few years back and he now has his PPL and I
believe is working toward his instrument.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
..

>Montblack

TaxSrv
October 21st 05, 07:47 AM
"Roger" wrote:

> >That's more than 2 kids per flight.
> >A. That sucks if you're the kid stuck in back.

Our ground bosses try to work that out, for working the crowd thin
to get everybody up and prevent fatigue of the pilots, by pairing
even a couple kids stranger to each other if they don't mind.
Once, I was brought a young gal about 12, and her younger brother.
She flatly insisted on riding in the back. It took the gamble of
the humor, saying well you know that means your little brother will
probably get to fly the plane for a few minutes. That little guy
just couldn't wait to launch. I forget what she said, but it was
like mild-mannered sisters know how to get along with bossy little
brothers. I eyed over toward the parents eavesdropping on this,
and what big smiles.

Fred F.

Stealth Pilot
October 21st 05, 09:36 AM
what a wonderful post.
you're a champion roger.

Stealth Pilot

George Patterson
October 21st 05, 04:34 PM
Montblack wrote:

> Maybe I've missed the busy YE weekends with lots of kids.

Maybe the EAA groups in your area all have small aircraft?

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Orval Fairbairn
October 21st 05, 05:56 PM
In article >,
Bob Fry > wrote:

My favorite YE flight happened about 9 years ago, at EAA 62's YE Day at
South County (CA).

A man asked me if I would give a ride to his son. I asked for his number
(We used to haul 150-200 a day there). When I called out his number, a
tall 9-year-old answered. We introduced ourselves -- he said his name
was "James."

As we were walking out he asked which airplane we were going to fly.
When I replied "the red one over there," his response was an uplifted
hand and an emphatic "YESS!" He threw back his shoulders and strode as
if he were "Top Gun" and asked "Does your airplane carry any guns?"

I responded, "No, Son, we fly unarmed into enemy territory." I asked,
"Jim, how old are you?" He replied, "It is 'James', and I am 9."

As we were flying around, he would call out, "Bandit at 3 o'clock," etc.
He had a fine hand for the stick, as the Johnson Rocket is a finger-tip
airplane.

I have had many other passengers -- some very shy, others more
adventurous, but James stands out.

Ross Richardson
October 21st 05, 06:09 PM
It is events like this that make is so rewarding, not only for the child
but the pilot. I have similar stories. Some kids want to fly and others
just want to sit and enjoy. I always give them the option. I fly
sometimes for Challengair events (need to more) and I had one
handicapped child that as soon as we were in the plane her hands went
towards the wheel. I talked to her to just do not touch right now, but
she can fly when we get up. Her hands stayed just inches away. When at
alitiude, I let her take control. She was just overjoyed. What an
experience for both of us.

-------------
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

Roger wrote:
> [...]
> there are times when the kids get to go for a ride and don't sit in
> the right seat, or even up front.
>
> To me it's giving the kids a fun and comfortable introduction to
> flying. Less than half want to take the controls, but I can usually
> talk about half of them into just following through and then talking
> them through holding altitude and course. A few even do some turns.
>
> We have two aviation camps each summer. At the end of the camp the
> kids do a round robin flight plan from 3BS to GDW, to MOP, and back to
> 3BS. I talked the boy who flew with me on one ride through straight
> and level, then the turns at GDW to MOP. When we reached MOP all I had
> to do was give him the heading and he made the turn while holding
> altitude. That was a few years back and he now has his PPL and I
> believe is working toward his instrument.
>
> Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)

Bob Fry
October 22nd 05, 06:43 AM
OF> I have had many other passengers -- some very shy, others more
OF> adventurous, but James stands out.

I still remember a 9- or 10-year old girl I gave a ride a couple of
years ago.

It was a big event, lots of kids and pilots. I landed at dawn to see
hot air balloons launch, then waited until 9:00 or so for the YE fun
to start. At the end of the day I flew 9 kids in the Aircoupe so
that makes for a long day.

The last flight was this girl who when walking out to the plane asked,
"Can we go fast?" I knew this would be special.

"Sure,", says I, "we can go fast. Maybe a hundred miles an hour!"

"Faster than a motorcyle?" she asked. "Yep, that's faster than a
motorcyle." But then I wondered if it would be...her dad looked kinda
adventerous.

She had seen the Coupe during the day and knew the canopy slid open
and closed. As soon as we got in and started to taxi she wanted to
fly with the canopy open.

"Well, we'll see," I said. I was reluctant. The noise and wind could
easily scare a young person. I for sure wouldn't do it on takeoff.

Away we went, canopy closed. I pointed out a few places...every
minute or two came the question: "Can we open the canopy?"

Time to return, and we're headed back to the airport. Finally I undo
the latches and crack it open a couple of inches...that ought to keep
her happy. I'm on downwind keying the push-to-talk, about to announce
my position to the tower...when finally she can't stand it any more
and screams, "ALL THE WAY OPEN!!"

Aye, I got that message. Left hand on the yoke still holding the
transmit open, with the right hand I reach up and jerk back the
canopy, ALL THE WAY OPEN.

As we pass the numbers and I pull back the throttle, I look over.
She's got a grin a mile wide. A real firecracker, that one. We ride
it around base and down final, noise and wind swirling around. Pull
back to idle half-way down final and the prop gives that funny sighing
sound and for an instant you can see it unwind...always gives me a
chill 'cause I daydream for a moment I'm flying a turbine. A chirp of
tires and we've landed, slowing down, noise and wind gone now, but a
ride we'll both remember for a long, long time.

Ray Andraka
April 15th 06, 12:07 AM
George Patterson wrote:

> Montblack wrote:
>
>> I've seen maybe 40 Young Eagles take to the air at ANE (Anoka County -
>> Blaine, MN). All planes went up with one pilot, one kid.
>

> and on my flights, I typically carried three, sometimes two.
>
> George Patterson
> Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your
> neighbor.
> It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

I prefer to take one or two at a time, however I've had as many as 4 at
a time (I have 7 seats). Never once heard a complaint, and roughly a
third of the kids didn't want sit in the front when offered a choice.

Google