PDA

View Full Version : interior shops?

Tim
October 24th 05, 11:03 PM
I am thinking of refitting my Grumman cheetah with leather seat surfaces
and having new side panels installed. Can anyone recommend a good and
reasonably priced person or shop? Pics would also be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

tim

tjurik at optonline net

if you want to send pics and not clutter this group.

Jay Honeck
October 24th 05, 11:28 PM
> I am thinking of refitting my Grumman cheetah with leather seat surfaces
> and having new side panels installed. Can anyone recommend a good and
> reasonably priced person or shop? Pics would also be greatly appreciated.

What part of the country are you in, Tim?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Tim
October 25th 05, 12:12 AM
> What part of the country are you in, Tim?

Oops - I had meant to start off with note about northeast, but had heard
of people happy to pay the shipping to really good and good value shops
far away.

Long Island, NY
Anything in New England would be great, but I can live with distant
shops that can provide pictures and references.

thanks,
tim

Viperdoc
October 25th 05, 03:10 AM
Take a look at Airmod, in Batavia, OH (also home base to Sporty's) They did
a superb job on my Baron, including seats, carpeting, head liner, yokes,
etc. Can't be beat.

Jay Honeck
October 25th 05, 04:16 AM
> Long Island, NY
> Anything in New England would be great, but I can live with distant shops
> that can provide pictures and references.

Well, I like my guy in Maquoketa, IA -- he's really very reasonably
priced -- but he's slow, and the commute would kill ya!

:-)

Destination Direct says it would take you 6:57 to get here, at 120 knots...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

zatatime
October 26th 05, 03:13 AM
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:12:51 -0400, Tim >
wrote:

>> What part of the country are you in, Tim?
>
>Oops - I had meant to start off with note about northeast, but had heard
>of people happy to pay the shipping to really good and good value shops
>far away.
>
>Long Island, NY
>Anything in New England would be great, but I can live with distant
>shops that can provide pictures and references.
>
>thanks,
>tim

The guy in East Strousburg (sp?) PA does good work. I don't know his
name but have seen a few interiors and talked to a couple people who
have gone to him. Nothing but good things to say. Just over the
ridge from Blairstown NJ next to the Delaware Water Gap. Close enough
you may be able to get a ride from a buddy there and back.

Good Luck.

George Patterson
October 26th 05, 05:09 AM
zatatime wrote:

> The guy in East Strousburg (sp?)

Stroudsburg. That's N53.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Denny
October 26th 05, 12:13 PM
Just a comment... I love the smell of a leather interior, but: leather
against skin is hot in the summer and cold in the winter... Personally
I would lean towards a premium wool cloth with leather side panels and
trim...

denny

Jay Honeck
October 26th 05, 02:42 PM
> Just a comment... I love the smell of a leather interior, but: leather
> against skin is hot in the summer and cold in the winter... Personally
> I would lean towards a premium wool cloth with leather side panels and
> trim...

I thought that way, too, until I got a leather interior in our Subaru
Outback, and loved it. We then put leather in the plane, and loved it
there, too.

Good leather does not perform the way you describe, and it's a lot more
durable than wool. And, personally, I don't like my butt stuck to a
velour-like surface. I'm more comfortable on the smooth leather that more
easily allows, um, repositioning.

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Peter R.
October 26th 05, 05:58 PM
Jay Honeck > wrote:

> Good leather does not perform the way you describe, and it's a lot more
> durable than wool. And, personally, I don't like my butt stuck to a
> velour-like surface. I'm more comfortable on the smooth leather that more
> easily allows, um, repositioning.

The previous owner of my Bonanza installed two premium sheepskin covers to
the pilot and copilot seats.

Having a few hundred hours on them now, I agree with you that these covers
do wear over time, but they are not sticky and I wouldn't classify the
surface as "velour-like." The wool is very comfortable, both cool in the
summer and warm in the winter. Most importantly, the wool does not stick
to one's butt and prevent repositioning.

I am facing a new interior project (whenever I can afford the three-to-six
week downtime) and I probably will go with new leather, too. It just
looks, smells, and feels good. :)

--
Peter

Jay Honeck
October 26th 05, 11:38 PM
> The previous owner of my Bonanza installed two premium sheepskin covers to
> the pilot and copilot seats.
>
> Having a few hundred hours on them now, I agree with you that these covers
> do wear over time, but they are not sticky and I wouldn't classify the
> surface as "velour-like." The wool is very comfortable, both cool in the
> summer and warm in the winter. Most importantly, the wool does not stick
> to one's butt and prevent repositioning.

Whoops, I didn't realize he was advocating sheepskin covers -- my bad. (I
was thinking just a wool seat upholstery...)

I had sheepskin seat covers on my Warrior seats, and they were great. They
look pretty ratty over time, though, and they hold dirt like nothing else --
but they're nice and toasty warm in the winter -- and not too hot in the
summer.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Ray Andraka
November 2nd 05, 03:36 AM
Tim wrote:

> I am thinking of refitting my Grumman cheetah with leather seat
> surfaces and having new side panels installed. Can anyone recommend a
> good and reasonably priced person or shop? Pics would also be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> thanks,
>
> tim
>
> tjurik at optonline net
>
> if you want to send pics and not clutter this group.

I had my Six done last year with leather at Advantage Interiors, Donegal
Springs Airpark Mount Joy/Marrieta PA.
http://www.andraka.com/images/plane/DCP_2902.JPG
http://www.andraka.com/images/plane/DCP_2903.JPG
http://www.andraka.com/images/plane/DCP_2904.JPG
http://www.andraka.com/images/plane/DCP_2905.JPG
http://www.andraka.com/images/plane/DCP_2906.JPG
I'm very happy with the work, and the price was very good (~$8000)
considering 7 seats, front and rear baggage compartments,and all plastic
and metal trim covered with leather or headliner material.
1-800-890-2004. Flying tigers, which is co-located did the annual and
replaced all the glass while it was in for the interior. Jay at flying
tigers can probably get you a ride back when you drop off your plane (he
flys quite a bit of charter flights, so there's a good shot he'll be
going your way anyway).

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950