PDA

View Full Version : clicking sound after failed start

Matt
October 30th 05, 07:17 PM
I have a Cessna 152 with the O-235-L2C. When I don't prime enough and have
a failed start, I frequently hear a "clicking" sound from under the cowling
after I stop cranking. I think it may be coming from the battery. Is this
the battery contactor opening/closing? It does not seem to be a problem;
just wondering what the sound is.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

J. Severyn
October 31st 05, 12:27 AM
Matt,
If the clicking sound you hear occurs while the prop is still turning, it
probably is the magneto impulse coupling or couplings...(some 152s have
impulse coupling on one mag, some have couplings on both mags. Either is
OK).

If the clicking happens when you cycle the LH part of the master switch, it
is the battery contactor. If the clicking happens when you rotate the
ignition switch to the "start" position, it is the starter contactor. Look
at the 152 POH Figure 7-7 for a pictorial of the electrical system to help
in the explanation.

John Severyn
KLVK

"Matt" > wrote in message
>I have a Cessna 152 with the O-235-L2C. When I don't prime enough and have
>a failed start, I frequently hear a "clicking" sound from under the cowling
>after I stop cranking. I think it may be coming from the battery. Is this
>the battery contactor opening/closing? It does not seem to be a problem;
>just wondering what the sound is.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Matt

J. Severyn
October 31st 05, 12:30 AM
Correction....
If the clicking happens when you cycle the "RH" part of the master switch,
it
is the battery contactor.
John Severyn
KLVK

"J. Severyn" > wrote in message
> Matt,
> If the clicking sound you hear occurs while the prop is still turning, it
> probably is the magneto impulse coupling or couplings...(some 152s have
> impulse coupling on one mag, some have couplings on both mags. Either is
> OK).
>
> If the clicking happens when you cycle the LH part of the master switch,
> it is the battery contactor. If the clicking happens when you rotate the
> ignition switch to the "start" position, it is the starter contactor.
> Look at the 152 POH Figure 7-7 for a pictorial of the electrical system to
> help in the explanation.
>
> John Severyn
> KLVK
>
> "Matt" > wrote in message
>>I have a Cessna 152 with the O-235-L2C. When I don't prime enough and
>>have a failed start, I frequently hear a "clicking" sound from under the
>>cowling after I stop cranking. I think it may be coming from the battery.
>>Is this the battery contactor opening/closing? It does not seem to be a
>>problem; just wondering what the sound is.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> Matt

Robert M. Gary
October 31st 05, 01:30 AM
That's normal. When you hit the starter you engaged the starter. The
starter will stay engaged until the prop reaches 300ish RPM. As you
turn the prop you are listening the starter turn.

-Robert

November 2nd 05, 12:36 AM
There's a ratchet in that starter drive, and as the drive is locked
engaged until the engine starts and the higher RPM disengages the
locks, there'll be a rattly clicking sound from the ratchet if the prop
is turned in its normal direction of rotation.

Dan

Google