PDA

View Full Version : Winter Oil

Lets Fly
November 1st 05, 11:36 PM
Hi Everyone

I have a Cessna 180H (66), the previous owner used 15W50, i since changed to
SAE 50 W 100 in summer and was looking to go to SAE 30 W 65

zatatime
November 2nd 05, 01:42 AM
On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 14:36:30 -0900, "Lets Fly"
> wrote:

>Hi Everyone
>
>I have a Cessna 180H (66), the previous owner used 15W50, i since changed to
>SAE 50 W 100 in summer and was looking to go to SAE 30 W 65

Depends on the climate you live in. If you live up north that isn't a
bad idea. If you live in Texas 40 should do it for you. Look at the
recommended temperature ranges given for each type of oil. That'll
give you a good idea of what you should do.

Denny
November 2nd 05, 12:09 PM
I use W100 in the summer and 15W50 in the winter..

denny - in Michigan...

Jim Burns
November 2nd 05, 01:19 PM
Same here.
Jim - in Wisconsn

"Denny" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I use W100 in the summer and 15W50 in the winter..
>
> denny - in Michigan...

Paul kgyy
November 2nd 05, 03:11 PM
I'd recommend 15W50 year-round. It provides better fuel economy and
more corrosion protection while giving up no ground as a lubricant.

Ron Natalie
November 2nd 05, 05:46 PM
Denny wrote:
> I use W100 in the summer and 15W50 in the winter..
>
> denny - in Michigan...

My old engine called for 30 weight in the winter,
but finding 30 weight is next to impossible around
here. I used to use straight 40 (we don't get THAT
cold here).

Jay Honeck
November 2nd 05, 10:46 PM
>I use W100 in the summer and 15W50 in the winter..

What's your reasoning on that Denny (and Jim)?

We use 15W50 year 'round.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Michelle P
November 3rd 05, 12:12 AM
15W-50 Year round, preheat when the temp drops below 50F.
Michelle

Lets Fly wrote:

>Hi Everyone
>
>I have a Cessna 180H (66), the previous owner used 15W50, i since changed to
>SAE 50 W 100 in summer and was looking to go to SAE 30 W 65

Dave
November 3rd 05, 12:47 AM
Same here Jay...aeroshell with the Lyc additive..

(Although additive not needed for our engine, we like the
" insurance")

Dave

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 22:46:13 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
> wrote:

>>I use W100 in the summer and 15W50 in the winter..
>
>What's your reasoning on that Denny (and Jim)?
>
>We use 15W50 year 'round.

Jim Burns
November 3rd 05, 03:41 AM
Several reasons, most are personal and based on our local ag applicator's
recommendations. 4 A&P A/I brothers that grew up in/on/under Lycoming
engines, mostly 540's. They've pushed them beyond what you or I will ever
do and in conditions much worse. They swear that when run hard and hot, the
multi weight oils will still give you cam problems, even with the additives.
Right or wrong, I don't know, I'm just going on what their experience has
been and using straight weights they get some longggg hours out of the
540's.

I do know, that in our tightly cowled Aztec, that 15W50 will produce more
carbon in the summer than W100. Even with W100, we often have to fly with
the cowl flaps 1/2 or even full open on hot days. The W100 doesn't produce
the carbon in the filter like the 15W50 while maintaining the same temps.

W100 is less than 1/2 the cost of 15W50, especially if you by it by the 55
gal drum. We change our oil at 33 hours and using 6 gallons at a crack, it
adds up to some $$$.

We switch to 15W50 around Thanksgiving and run it until around Easter.
Based in Wisconsin, we normally fly towards warmer weather in the winter, so
the multi weight keeps us covered on the temperature variations. We don't
want to take that mid-winter flight down south and be stuck with say, W80
and end up not being able to keep things cool enough. In the summer, the
W100 handles any temps we run into.

Our newest engine (about 600 hours old) is a Pen Yan overhaul. The front
cover of the log book has a sticker from them saying that all warrantees are
void if any multi weight oil has been used in the engine. The previous
owner used W80 and then switched to multi weights over the time he owned it.
So I guess he voided the warranty before we bought it, for what ever that's
worth.

It's the best compromise that we've come up with. Like I said, most of our
reasons are personal.

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182909-1.html

Is an old (1995) avweb article, maybe there is something newer.

Jim

George Patterson
November 3rd 05, 04:18 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> We use 15W50 year 'round.

I did the same with both of my aircraft.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Denny
November 3rd 05, 02:04 PM
RE Jim Burns...

What he said...

denny - and that is W100+ (my typo dropped the +)

Lets Fly
November 3rd 05, 09:46 PM
"Michelle P" > wrote in message
k.net...
> 15W-50 Year round, preheat when the temp drops below 50F.
> Michelle

Ended up just putting the good ole $5.00 a quart 15W 50 in....

Up in Alaska, we are welllll aware of preeee heating hehe....good ole reddy
heater in the garage :)

Thanks
Gary

Google