PDA

View Full Version : If you fly an Amphib, don't do this

Doug
November 6th 05, 06:43 PM
http://media.putfile.com/Wheels-down

Big no-no.

kontiki
November 6th 05, 07:08 PM
Ouch.

Doug wrote:
> http://media.putfile.com/Wheels-down
>
> Big no-no.

Dave
November 6th 05, 11:52 PM
I have a a friend here did that years ago with his 185..doors jammed,
barely got out alive...

Pane destroyed, wrinkled everywhere..

What are the 2 black things flying forward ?

Dave

On 6 Nov 2005 10:43:31 -0800, "Doug" >
wrote:

>http://media.putfile.com/Wheels-down
>
>Big no-no.

BTIZ
November 7th 05, 12:25 AM

> What are the 2 black things flying forward ?
>
> Dave

At first I thought it was his nose tip gear breaking off... but later the
video shows them in place as he floats along upside down.

BT

J. Severyn
November 7th 05, 12:28 AM
Black things forward?? Do you mean the float nosewheels??

John Severyn
KLVK

"Dave" > wrote in message
>I have a a friend here did that years ago with his 185..doors jammed,
> barely got out alive...
>
> Pane destroyed, wrinkled everywhere..
>
> What are the 2 black things flying forward ?
>
> Dave
>

> On 6 Nov 2005 10:43:31 -0800, "Doug" >
> wrote:
>
>>http://media.putfile.com/Wheels-down
>>
>>Big no-no.

Doug
November 7th 05, 12:29 AM
>What are the two things flying forward?

Nosegear. He failed to put the gear up.

john smith
November 7th 05, 01:57 AM
I keep getting the error message:

"Playlist format is unrecognized"

George Patterson
November 7th 05, 02:24 AM
Dave wrote:

> What are the 2 black things flying forward ?

My guess is that it's the doors for the front gear.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

George Patterson
November 7th 05, 02:25 AM
Doug wrote:

> Nosegear. He failed to put the gear up.

There's no nosegear. Each float has a small steerable wheel in the front, but
those appear to still be in place after the landing.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Paul Tomblin
November 7th 05, 02:30 AM
In a previous article, john smith > said:
>I keep getting the error message:
>
>"Playlist format is unrecognized"

I looked at the page source to find the actual file name, saved the file
and Quicktime opened it fine.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
The phrase "Login to www.clue.org and issue the GET command" springs to mind.

Doug
November 7th 05, 04:11 AM
Amphib nosewheels don't fully retract inside, but they do go up.
Notice the mains are down also.

HE FAILED TO RAISE THE GEAR!! That's why he flipped over forward!! The
nosegear was down and caught the water and flipped him forward.

Orval Fairbairn
November 7th 05, 04:18 AM
In article . com>,
"Doug" > wrote:

> Amphib nosewheels don't fully retract inside, but they do go up.
> Notice the mains are down also.
>
> HE FAILED TO RAISE THE GEAR!! That's why he flipped over forward!! The
> nosegear was down and caught the water and flipped him forward.

Actually, the drag of the mains pitched him over; the nose gear just
finished the job.

Doug
November 7th 05, 04:43 AM
>Actually, the drag of the mains pitched him over; the nose gear just
>finished the job.

It's interesting to speculate if he would have flipped if it was just
the mains. Of course they all go up and down together. No one really
knows for sure, but I tend to think it wouldn't be a full flip if it
werent for the nose gear catching. No one knows for sure. There HAVE
been gear up water landings where there wasn't a flip, but generally,
landing with the gear down in the water is pretty bad news. Landing
with the gear UP on land is not so bad, no prop strike, by the way.

Gear switch on an amphib is a little different mindset. You don't just
turn the warning off by putting the gear down. You position the gear
where it should be and turn the warning off by pushing a button. Also,
the amount of drag presented by amphib gear is not as dramatic as gear
on land planes, so its not always obvious where the gear is by wind
noise and how the plane flies.

Scott Skylane
November 7th 05, 05:51 AM
Dave wrote:
/snip/
> What are the 2 black things flying forward ?

I think they are the nose bumpers from the floats.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
N92054

Drew Dalgleish
November 7th 05, 06:31 AM
On 6 Nov 2005 20:43:54 -0800, "Doug" >
wrote:

>>Actually, the drag of the mains pitched him over; the nose gear just
>>finished the job.
>
>It's interesting to speculate if he would have flipped if it was just
>the mains. Of course they all go up and down together. No one really
>knows for sure, but I tend to think it wouldn't be a full flip if it
>werent for the nose gear catching. No one knows for sure. There HAVE
>been gear up water landings where there wasn't a flip, but generally,
>landing with the gear down in the water is pretty bad news. Landing
>with the gear UP on land is not so bad, no prop strike, by the way.
>
>Gear switch on an amphib is a little different mindset. You don't just
>turn the warning off by putting the gear down. You position the gear
>where it should be and turn the warning off by pushing a button. Also,
>the amount of drag presented by amphib gear is not as dramatic as gear
>on land planes, so its not always obvious where the gear is by wind
>noise and how the plane flies.

I'm sure people have landed sucesfully with the gear down on some
planes. On my plane the pitch forward landing on glassy water requires
full up elevator to prevent pitch over. I think that landing was
beyond recovery the second the mains touched the water.

Scott D
November 7th 05, 07:54 AM
On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 20:51:44 -0900, Scott Skylane
> wrote:

>Dave wrote:
>/snip/
>> What are the 2 black things flying forward ?
>

>I think they are the nose bumpers from the floats.

I would have to agree with Skylane on this. I went through it frame
by frame and just before he touched down, you can see the bumpers on
the floats, then about 5 frames after the front of the floats go into
the water, you can see the bumpers flying out of the water.

I would be sick to death if that happened to my plane.

Scott D.

Bob Chilcoat
November 7th 05, 03:39 PM
Paul,

For those of us not fluent in html, where is the file name in the source
code? I couldn't identify it from all the various likely html sources.

"Paul Tomblin" > wrote in message
> In a previous article, john smith > said:
>>I keep getting the error message:
>>
>>"Playlist format is unrecognized"
>
> I looked at the page source to find the actual file name, saved the file
> and Quicktime opened it fine.
>
> --
> Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
> The phrase "Login to www.clue.org and issue the GET command" springs to
> mind.
> -- Tanuki

Darrel Toepfer
November 7th 05, 04:13 PM
Bob Chilcoat wrote:
> Paul,
>
> For those of us not fluent in html, where is the file name in the source
> code? I couldn't identify it from all the various likely html sources.

http://s1.putfile.com/videos/29310174242.mpg

Search the source if you want to see where it was exactly...

Jimmy B.
November 7th 05, 10:24 PM
Doug wrote:
> http://media.putfile.com/Wheels-down
>
> Big no-no.

This is why it costs twice as much to insure an amphibious airplane. . .
and why most insurance companies give you a discount for installing a
gear warning system.

john smith
November 7th 05, 10:38 PM
Paul, thanks for the source file.

Doug
November 8th 05, 12:51 AM
Yes, gotchya now. I agree, I see the two things flying forward. Some
part of the floats, and you are probably right. The nose bumpers
sheared off and flew forward. Nice observation. Never had noticed that
before. Those nose bumpers are just black plastic things, glued on (I
think).

Dave
November 8th 05, 02:50 AM
Maybe rubber float tips/fenders/bumpers?

They sure leave in a hurry.....popped of by water pressure in the nos
gear wells.. ?

Dave

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 16:25:54 -0800, "BTIZ" >
wrote:

>> What are the 2 black things flying forward ?
>>
>> Dave
>
>At first I thought it was his nose tip gear breaking off... but later the
>video shows them in place as he floats along upside down.
>
>BT

Google