PDA

View Full Version : CFI-I Checkride stories?

Jim
July 11th 03, 06:22 PM
Anybody in the group have any CFI-I checkride stories/hints/advice that
they'd like to share? I'm working towards my CFII now.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Gary Allen
July 11th 03, 11:18 PM
"Jim" > wrote in message
> Anybody in the group have any CFI-I checkride stories/hints/advice that
> they'd like to share? I'm working towards my CFII now.
> --
> Jim Burns III
>
> Remove "nospam" to reply

Mine wasn't that big of a deal. The oral was a little more extensive than
the instrument rating, but I expected that. I think he expected a little
more accuracy, too. He especially likes NDB approaches, so we did 2 of
those, one in 30 kt direct crosswind... that was a little tough. He had me
"teach" unusual attitudes and a missed approach procedure. The test was
surprisingly simple, actually. By the way, I had an FAA examiner, not a DE,
and I did it in a JetRanger helicopter.

Gary

Ryan Ferguson
July 12th 03, 02:29 AM
We always seem to be on similar tracks, Jim! I am prepping for my
instructor instrument-airplane rating now also.

If you come across anything good, be sure to send it my way! :)

-Ryan
CFI-ASE-AME, CFI-RH, CP-ASMEL-IA, CP-RH, AGI

Jim wrote:

> Anybody in the group have any CFI-I checkride stories/hints/advice that
> they'd like to share? I'm working towards my CFII now.
> --
> Jim Burns III
>
> Remove "nospam" to reply

Jim
July 12th 03, 07:27 AM
I sure will Ryan, thanks again for all the great stuff on your web site.
It seems I'm always sending my primary students to it for some of your aids.
Jim

"Ryan Ferguson" > wrote in message
> We always seem to be on similar tracks, Jim! I am prepping for my
> instructor instrument-airplane rating now also.
>
> If you come across anything good, be sure to send it my way! :)
>
> -Ryan
> CFI-ASE-AME, CFI-RH, CP-ASMEL-IA, CP-RH, AGI
>
> Jim wrote:
>
> > Anybody in the group have any CFI-I checkride stories/hints/advice that
> > they'd like to share? I'm working towards my CFII now.
> > --
> > Jim Burns III
> >
> > Remove "nospam" to reply

C J Campbell
July 12th 03, 01:36 PM
Mine was a royal PITA. The oral was not too bad, but the weather was
terrible with moderate to severe turbulence. I was sick as a dog with a high
fever and had little or no sleep. I could not re-schedule as the school
(AllATPs) policy was to simply kick anybody out who refused to take a check
ride for any reason. I had just taken my CFI/MEI ride the day before and was
still tired from that. I was in an unfamiliar area at a huge class C airport
and had never flown an approach at any of the local airports before. I had
trouble even finding my airplane. I busted the ride, of course, completely
unable to maintain heading or altitude for even a few seconds. The retake
the next afternoon was the exact same circumstances, except I was feeling
even worse, but somehow I squeaked through.

I would never allow one of my students to take a check ride under similar
conditions. Nothing against AllATPs, but their idiotic check ride policy is
likely to get somebody killed.

Moral of the story -- don't fly when you should not. I think my judgment
must have been at an absolute low ebb in those days.

Rich Hare
July 12th 03, 02:37 PM
Jim,
As I remember mine, I don't think I flew the airplane much. I think I
had to demonstrate some basic instrument competency from the right seat.

The meat of the ride was the ability to teach effectively (breakdown a
maneuver into its elements and teach each element) and to diagnose
"student" errors, which the DE simulated. It really was a "teaching
test" more than an instrument flying test (but that could have been
different if he had seen any weakness in that area, I believe).

Rich

Jim wrote:
> Anybody in the group have any CFI-I checkride stories/hints/advice that
> they'd like to share? I'm working towards my CFII now.
> --
> Jim Burns III
>
> Remove "nospam" to reply

Scott Schluer
July 13th 03, 03:56 PM
What kind of a flight school would kick you out for rescheduling a checkride
because you are sick, tired and have a fever, especially in moderate/severe
turbulence? That's just unsafe in my opinion and someone over there needs to
seriously rethink their policies. As you mentioned, its probably a matter of
time before that policy kills someone.

"C J Campbell" > wrote in message
> Mine was a royal PITA. The oral was not too bad, but the weather was
> terrible with moderate to severe turbulence. I was sick as a dog with a
high
> fever and had little or no sleep. I could not re-schedule as the school
> (AllATPs) policy was to simply kick anybody out who refused to take a
check
> ride for any reason. I had just taken my CFI/MEI ride the day before and
was
> still tired from that. I was in an unfamiliar area at a huge class C
airport
> and had never flown an approach at any of the local airports before. I had
> trouble even finding my airplane. I busted the ride, of course, completely
> unable to maintain heading or altitude for even a few seconds. The retake
> the next afternoon was the exact same circumstances, except I was feeling
> even worse, but somehow I squeaked through.
>
> I would never allow one of my students to take a check ride under similar
> conditions. Nothing against AllATPs, but their idiotic check ride policy
is
> likely to get somebody killed.
>
> Moral of the story -- don't fly when you should not. I think my judgment
> must have been at an absolute low ebb in those days.

Michael
July 14th 03, 08:37 PM
"Anthony Chambers" > wrote
> Does it make you feel good to put all that crap in your signature... lol.
> How pathetic.

This is usenet, and thus the credentials of those posting are often
unknown. Signing a post with one's ratings is a quick-and-dirty way
of establishing credentials at whatever level. While I may not
necessarily agree with the practice, nor generally follow it, there is
something to be said for it. Certainly pathetic isn't it.

Michael
Just this once... CP-ASEL,AMEL,IA,G CFI-ASE,AME,IA,G AGI

Peter R.
July 14th 03, 08:40 PM
Anthony Chambers ) wrote:

> Does it make you feel good to put all that crap in your signature... lol.
> How pathetic.

The only thing that is pathetic is your need to comment on something so
trivial.

--
Peter

Teranews
July 14th 03, 09:14 PM
Mine was all very uneventful. The oral was very long. Several hours.
Flying was not big deal. Hold entry, shoot a GPS / ILS / VOR approach. fly
from the right seat. I really can't rememebr much more than that and it was
only about a year ago, so it must nto have been a big deal.

I did try to answer some of the questiosn without taking enought time. I
was incredibly well prepared and I was answering some before he finished the
questions. Then he started to change questions mid-stream to get me to hear
the whole question and then answer.

Take your time. This is not that hard compare to most of the other training
you have completed.

-dave

"Rich Hare" > wrote in message
> Jim,
> As I remember mine, I don't think I flew the airplane much. I think I
> had to demonstrate some basic instrument competency from the right seat.
>
> The meat of the ride was the ability to teach effectively (breakdown a
> maneuver into its elements and teach each element) and to diagnose
> "student" errors, which the DE simulated. It really was a "teaching
> test" more than an instrument flying test (but that could have been
> different if he had seen any weakness in that area, I believe).
>
> Rich
>
> Jim wrote:
> > Anybody in the group have any CFI-I checkride stories/hints/advice that
> > they'd like to share? I'm working towards my CFII now.
> > --
> > Jim Burns III
> >
> > Remove "nospam" to reply

Ron Garrison
July 18th 03, 12:00 AM
Please tell me that you are joking. I ended up rescheduling my IA checkride
twice. The first time I went in, the winds were 20G30, and I told the DE
that those were above my personal minimums to launch a flight (altough I
could land in it if I had to). The second time was a cold day (-2C) with a
4000 foot ceiling and light snow. I stated my concerns about icing (very
minor given the low temperature) and visibility (a big deal, with the snow
flurries). As the official weather was legal VFR I felt bad about cancelling
the second time, and told him. Anyway, the DE told me that if I had elected
to go that day, he probably would have failed me for exercising poor
judgement, and said something about white airplanes being hard to see
against a white background when surrounded by white snow.

"C J Campbell" > wrote in message
> Mine was a royal PITA. The oral was not too bad, but the weather was
> terrible with moderate to severe turbulence. I was sick as a dog with a
high
> fever and had little or no sleep. I could not re-schedule as the school
> (AllATPs) policy was to simply kick anybody out who refused to take a
check
> ride for any reason. I had just taken my CFI/MEI ride the day before and
was
> still tired from that. I was in an unfamiliar area at a huge class C
airport
> and had never flown an approach at any of the local airports before. I had
> trouble even finding my airplane. I busted the ride, of course, completely
> unable to maintain heading or altitude for even a few seconds. The retake
> the next afternoon was the exact same circumstances, except I was feeling
> even worse, but somehow I squeaked through.
>
> I would never allow one of my students to take a check ride under similar
> conditions. Nothing against AllATPs, but their idiotic check ride policy
is
> likely to get somebody killed.
>
> Moral of the story -- don't fly when you should not. I think my judgment
> must have been at an absolute low ebb in those days.

C J Campbell
July 18th 03, 01:04 AM
"Ron Garrison" > wrote in message
.. .