PDA

View Full Version : Big Rogues Gallery Update!

Jay Honeck
November 9th 05, 03:47 PM
Check out http://alexisparkinn.com/rec_aviation.htm to see the following new
additions to the Rec.Aviation "Rogues Gallery":

- From Toledo, Ohio, Eric Bartsch and his very cool 1959 Pilatus P3...

- From Boulder, Colorado, Alan Bloom and his pristine 1960 Cessna Skylane...

- From New Brunswick, Canada, David Gamblin and his terrific 1976 Piper
Warrior...

- From Sebring, Ohio, Roy Page and his beautiful 1977 Piper Archer...

- From Corvallis, Oregon, Tom Pettit and his very cool home-built, a 2004
Savannah...

What's this "Rogues Gallery", you ask? It's an alphabetically organized
(by last name) webpage that allows aviation newsgroup denizens the
opportunity to see -- and be seen -- by fellow posters.

Why? Well, as marvelous as these newsgroups are, they are
"2-dimensional" -- meaning that we never really got to see each other.
Worse, we were never able to see what the other guy was flying -- but not
anymore! With labor provided by yours truly, and server space provided by
this group's own Jav Henderson, we have created a "virtual Main Street" for
newsgroup users to get to "meet" each other. After three years, you can see
most of the newsgroup "regulars" there now.

Want *your* pride and joy displayed, for everyone here to drool on?
Simply email me half a dozen pix of you and your bird, and a short narrative
(where you're based, how long you've been flying, how long you've been on
the newsgroups, etc.) to , and I'll get 'em up ASAP!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Montblack
November 9th 05, 05:35 PM
("Jay Honeck" wrote)
> Check out http://alexisparkinn.com/rec_aviation.htm to see the following
> new additions to the Rec.Aviation "Rogues Gallery":

Is putting 'new people' into a "New Additions" section (outside of the
alphabetical listings) a possibility?

Next batch of New Additions people, a few months from now, bumps the old
'new people' in with everybody else.

Montblack

Maule Driver
November 9th 05, 06:22 PM
Thanks again for doing it Jay! Just really nice. Makes it more of a
community.

Jay Honeck wrote:
> Check out http://alexisparkinn.com/rec_aviation.htm to see the following new
> additions to the Rec.Aviation "Rogues Gallery":

Jay Honeck
November 9th 05, 08:58 PM
> Is putting 'new people' into a "New Additions" section (outside of the
> alphabetical listings) a possibility?
>
> Next batch of New Additions people, a few months from now, bumps the old
> 'new people' in with everybody else.

There are many things I wish I had done differently with the Rogues Gallery
from the get-go.

One of them would have been to split the site up into more and smaller
chunks. Right now, there are only three pages, and they're getting pretty
large. Load times on a dial-up network are probably absurd. I should have
more separate pages, by the alphabet.

The other would be a "New People" section. Unfortunately, to go back and
re-do the whole thing now is going to be pretty time-consuming, and I've got
a zillion other irons in the fire...

Maybe once we've got all the suites done, and we're in the off-season, and
there's nothing broken to fix at the hotel or on the airplane, and my kids
don't have any activities scheduled, and there's no CAP meeting, and there's
no Airport Commission meeting, and there's no Big Kids Toy Show (my latest
project) meetings scheduled, and the yard doesn't need raking...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Eduardo K.
November 9th 05, 09:25 PM
In article <tptcf.533442$_o.40873@attbi_s71>,
Jay Honeck > wrote:

>Maybe once we've got all the suites done, and we're in the off-season, and
>there's nothing broken to fix at the hotel or on the airplane, and my kids
>don't have any activities scheduled, and there's no CAP meeting, and there's
>no Airport Commission meeting, and there's no Big Kids Toy Show (my latest
>project) meetings scheduled, and the yard doesn't need raking...

Does your host have mysql and php? I could slap a small php script to
make the site dynamic in a couple of hours if you could use it..

--
Eduardo K. | Some say it's forgive and forget.
http://www.carfun.cl | I say forget about forgiving just accept.
| Minnie Driver, Grosse Point Blank

Javier Henderson
November 9th 05, 09:38 PM
Eduardo K. wrote:
> In article <tptcf.533442$_o.40873@attbi_s71>,
> Jay Honeck > wrote:
>
>>Maybe once we've got all the suites done, and we're in the off-season, and
>>there's nothing broken to fix at the hotel or on the airplane, and my kids
>>don't have any activities scheduled, and there's no CAP meeting, and there's
>>no Airport Commission meeting, and there's no Big Kids Toy Show (my latest
>>project) meetings scheduled, and the yard doesn't need raking...
>>

> Does your host have mysql and php? I could slap a small php script to
> make the site dynamic in a couple of hours if you could use it..

I run the system that Jay uses, and yes, there's mysql and php. If Jay
is OK with making it dynamic, I'm OK too.

Jay?

-jav

November 10th 05, 02:36 AM
Jay,

Thanks for adding me to the gallery, its great to be among the "owners"
list rather than the "renters" although my bank account looked a lot
better when I was renting :-)

Eric Bartsch
1959 Pilatus P3-05 A-848

George Patterson
November 10th 05, 02:54 AM
wrote:

> Thanks for adding me to the gallery, its great to be among the "owners"
> list rather than the "renters" although my bank account looked a lot
> better when I was renting :-)

I've never seen a bank account that looked as good as a nice airplane. :-) Bank
accounts are only worth what you can do with them.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Jay Honeck
November 10th 05, 03:44 AM
>> Does your host have mysql and php? I could slap a small php script to
>> make the site dynamic in a couple of hours if you could use it..
>
> I run the system that Jay uses, and yes, there's mysql and php. If Jay
> is OK with making it dynamic, I'm OK too.
>
> Jay?

Um, well, I don't know.

Without warning, we've just crossed some mysterious, often invisible line
between people like me, who are able to maintain and operate a website, and
people like you, who *really* understand what's going on INSIDE the
website... I suddenly feel cold, and lost, and...ignorant.

:-)

What, exactly, does it mean to "make the site dynamic"?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
November 10th 05, 03:45 AM
> I've never seen a bank account that looked as good as a nice airplane. :-)
> Bank accounts are only worth what you can do with them.

Amen, brother.

I may not be rich, but I wouldn't trade owning a plane for a king's
ransom...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

tom pettit
November 10th 05, 04:08 AM
Jay,

The leaves are no problem! Just point the tail of your plane at the yard
and do a full throttle static runup. You'll wonder where they all went.

tom

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> Maybe once we've got all the suites done, and we're in the off-season, and
> there's nothing broken to fix at the hotel or on the airplane, and my kids
> don't have any activities scheduled, and there's no CAP meeting, and
> there's no Airport Commission meeting, and there's no Big Kids Toy Show
> (my latest project) meetings scheduled, and the yard doesn't need
> raking...

George Patterson
November 10th 05, 04:31 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> I may not be rich, but I wouldn't trade owning a plane for a king's
> ransom...

Oh, you're rich by about anyone's definition.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Montblack
November 10th 05, 06:12 AM
("tom pettit peak org>" wrote)
> The leaves are no problem! Just point the tail of your plane at the yard
> and do a full throttle static runup. You'll wonder where they all went.

Or let the "gales of November" do it for you.
<http://info.detnews.com/history/story/index.cfm?id=114&category=events>

(ANE) Anoka County-Blaine, MN
Wednesday November 9th, 2005

Time.......Temp .....Wind (Gusts were higher)

0015 ........48 .........W/21
0035 ........48 .........W/24

1am .........46 .........WNW/23
0115 ........45 .........W/21
0135 ........45 .........W/24

2am .........45 .........W/21
0215 ........45 .........W/27
0235 ........43 .........W/30

3am .........43 .........WNW/29
0315 ........43 .........W/28
0335 ........43 .........W/27

4am .........43 .........W/17
0415 ........43 .........W/22
0435 ........43 .........W/21

5am .........43 .........W/22
0515 ........43 .........WNW/31
0535 ........43 .........W/26

6am .........43 .........W/22
0615 ........43 .........W/24

7am .........41..........WNW/24
8am .........41 .........WNW/24
9am ........................W/20

10am ......41..........W/24
11am .......43 .........WNW/28
12pm

1pm .........45 .........WNW/32
2pm .........43 .........NW/26
3pm .........43 .........NW/22

4pm ........................NW/23
5pm .........41 .........WNW/17
6pm ........................WNW/15
7pm ........................WNW/16

Montblack

Montblack
November 10th 05, 08:12 AM
("tom pettit peak org>" wrote)
> The leaves are no problem! Just point the tail of your plane at the yard
> and do a full throttle static runup. You'll wonder where they all went.

Or let the "gales of November" do it for you.
<http://info.detnews.com/history/story/index.cfm?id=114&category=events>

(ANE) Anoka County-Blaine, MN
Wednesday November 9th, 2005

Time.......Temp .....Wind (Gusts were higher)

0015 ........48 .........W/21
0035 ........48 .........W/24

1am .........46 .........WNW/23
0115 ........45 .........W/21
0135 ........45 .........W/24

2am .........45 .........W/21
0215 ........45 .........W/27
0235 ........43 .........W/30

3am .........43 .........WNW/29
0315 ........43 .........W/28
0335 ........43 .........W/27

4am .........43 .........W/17
0415 ........43 .........W/22
0435 ........43 .........W/21

5am .........43 .........W/22
0515 ........43 .........WNW/31
0535 ........43 .........W/26

6am .........43 .........W/22
0615 ........43 .........W/24

7am .........41..........WNW/24
8am .........41 .........WNW/24
9am ........................W/20

10am ......41..........W/24
11am .......43 .........WNW/28
12pm

1pm .........45 .........WNW/32
2pm .........43 .........NW/26
3pm .........43 .........NW/22

4pm ........................NW/23
5pm .........41 .........WNW/17
6pm ........................WNW/15
7pm ........................WNW/16

Montblack

Jay Honeck
November 10th 05, 12:44 PM
>> I may not be rich, but I wouldn't trade owning a plane for a king's
>> ransom...
>
> Oh, you're rich by about anyone's definition.

In all ways except money...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Flyingmonk
November 10th 05, 12:52 PM
It means to be able to have all your pics and info in a data format and
the viewing pages/viewer can be changed to view the data in different
ways w/o having to physically change or rearrange your data.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Eduardo K.
November 10th 05, 05:25 PM
In article <emzcf.316702$084.23082@attbi_s22>,
Jay Honeck > wrote:

>What, exactly, does it mean to "make the site dynamic"?

WHat I meant was have script that, based on info from
files or a database, showed the pictures and indexes.

Instead of redoing the .html page, you just make a new directory
and upload the pictures and the text. The script should pick it
up automatically...

That was you could have several ways to show the same data, for
example...

--
Eduardo K. | Darwin pone las reglas.
http://www.carfun.cl | Murphy, la oportunidad.
| Yo.

Eduardo K.
November 10th 05, 05:26 PM
In article <ngHcf.534711$_o.117624@attbi_s71>,
Jay Honeck > wrote:

>In all ways except money...

Oh so true for small business owners.... :)

--
Eduardo K. | Darwin pone las reglas.
http://www.carfun.cl | Murphy, la oportunidad.
http://e.nn.cl |
| Yo.

Jay Honeck
November 10th 05, 08:32 PM
> WHat I meant was have script that, based on info from
> files or a database, showed the pictures and indexes.
>
> Instead of redoing the .html page, you just make a new directory
> and upload the pictures and the text. The script should pick it
> up automatically...
>
> That was you could have several ways to show the same data, for
> example...

Thanks, Eduardo.

Although I understand the concept, I have no idea what it would take from my
end to make that work.

Sounds like a few hours (at least) with the books...?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Eduardo K.
November 10th 05, 11:48 PM

http://www.php.net/manual/en/

--
Eduardo K. | Darwin pone las reglas.
http://www.carfun.cl | Murphy, la oportunidad.
http://e.nn.cl |
| Yo.

Jay Honeck
November 11th 05, 03:23 AM
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/

Wow, what a perfect name.

PPPPHHHHHHPPPPPPPTTTT!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

George Patterson
November 11th 05, 04:05 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:
>>>I may not be rich, but I wouldn't trade owning a plane for a king's
>>>ransom...
>>
>>Oh, you're rich by about anyone's definition.
>
> In all ways except money...

Bull. You're bringing in enough to provide for the care and feeding of a wife,
two kids, a hangared Pathfinder, five cars, a Gold Wing, a house, and a hotel.
And you talk about buying a place with enough land for your own airport.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Doug
November 11th 05, 04:16 AM
New Age definition of a millionaire. Someone who OWES a million
dollars!!!!

David Dyer-Bennet
November 11th 05, 05:05 PM
George Patterson > writes:

> >>Oh, you're rich by about anyone's definition.
> >
> > In all ways except money...
>
> Bull. You're bringing in enough to provide for the care and feeding of
> a wife, two kids, a hangared Pathfinder, five cars, a Gold Wing, a
> house, and a hotel. And you talk about buying a place with enough land
> for your own airport.

I've always thought of "rich" as meaning that, if I stopped cranking,
the world would continue to turn. Sounds like Jay is doing okay, but
if he stopped cranking, his world would come to a screeching halt
pretty quick, so I can see why that doesn't feel like "rich" to him.

In some statistical sense, everybody on this newsgroup is rich --
certainly making far above the median worldwide income, for example.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, >, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

Montblack
November 11th 05, 05:18 PM
("David Dyer-Bennet" wrote)
> I've always thought of "rich" as meaning that, if I stopped cranking,
> the world would continue to turn. Sounds like Jay is doing okay, but
> if he stopped cranking, his world would come to a screeching halt
> pretty quick, so I can see why that doesn't feel like "rich" to him.

I like these ideas
Rich ...........working hard for your money.
Wealthy .....your money works hard for you.

> In some statistical sense, everybody on this newsgroup is rich --
> certainly making far above the median worldwide income, for example.

I, for one, am indebted to these groups for all they have given to me over
the years. Top that for syrupy!

Montblack

Jay Honeck
November 11th 05, 10:47 PM
> Bull. You're bringing in enough to provide for the care and feeding of a wife,
> two kids, a hangared Pathfinder, five cars, a Gold Wing, a house, and a hotel.
> And you talk about buying a place with enough land for your own airport.

I'll bet you a gallon of avgas that you and your wife had more
after-tax income last year than Mary and I did. After expenses, last
year we made less *together* than I used to make in just three months
in our previous business.

However, there's more to life than money. And we're not done with the
place yet -- not by a long shot.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

George Patterson
November 11th 05, 11:45 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> I'll bet you a gallon of avgas that you and your wife had more
> after-tax income last year than Mary and I did.

Jay, you spent more on that Pathfinder last year than my entire net income.

And that's not the issue. I don't really care waht you make. It's just that your
occasional poor mouthing is irritating.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Jose
November 12th 05, 04:29 AM
> I'll bet you a gallon of avgas...

If you can afford a gallon of avgas these days, you are wealthy beyond
imagining. :)

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.

Eduardo K.
November 12th 05, 01:13 PM
In article <69Ucf.559319$xm3.312674@attbi_s21>,
Jay Honeck > wrote:
>> http://www.php.net/manual/en/
>
>Wow, what a perfect name.
>
>PPPPHHHHHHPPPPPPPTTTT!

:P

check this:

http://www.nn.cl/aviation/alexisparkinn.com/rogue's_gallery.php

its a small script that looks in a 'rdata' directory for directories with
pictures. each directory has a data.txt file withthe text and picture names.

all you need to do it mantain the directories.

this in an example data.txt file:

Added 11/28/03
Mike Adams -- 1967 Cessna Skylane 182K -- N2533R
Mike is based at Deer Valley Airport (DVT) in Phoenix, AZ, and by his own words has been a long-time "lurker" -- and occasional poster -- on the aviation newsgroups. He and his son, Steve, flew into their first Oshkosh in 2003, and enjoyed the Newsgroup Party in the North 40!
N2533R.jpg|Mike's Cessna Skylane -- those Horton speed mods net him 150 KTAS!
marblecanyon.jpg|Parked in Marble Canyon, AZ (L41), between Page, AZ and the Grand Canyon
OSHcampsite.jpg|Mike &amp; Steve at their OSH 2003 campsite. They're hoping to return in 2004.
pagosa.jpg|In Pagosa Springs, CO (2V1) in March of 2003 looking North into the Weminuche wilderness area.

(I still need to come out with a decent index and with search, but thats
easy to program once you figure out how you want to display it)

--
Eduardo K. |
http://www.carfun.cl | Freedom's just another word

Matt Whiting
November 13th 05, 12:21 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:

>>Bull. You're bringing in enough to provide for the care and feeding of a wife,
>>two kids, a hangared Pathfinder, five cars, a Gold Wing, a house, and a hotel.
>>And you talk about buying a place with enough land for your own airport.
>

> I'll bet you a gallon of avgas that you and your wife had more
> after-tax income last year than Mary and I did. After expenses, last
> year we made less *together* than I used to make in just three months
> in our previous business.
>
> However, there's more to life than money. And we're not done with the
> place yet -- not by a long shot.

I assume you are talking income from the income statement perspective.
How much did your property increase in value last year? As a sole
proprietor, you have to include you balance sheet as well. :-)
Changes in owner's equity is an important source of "income" as well.

Matt

Matt Whiting
November 13th 05, 01:07 AM
Morgans wrote:

> "Matt Whiting" > wrote
>

>>I assume you are talking income from the income statement perspective.
>>How much did your property increase in value last year? As a sole
>>proprietor, you have to include you balance sheet as well. :-)
>>Changes in owner's equity is an important source of "income" as well.
>

> While this is certainly true from an accounting standpoint, it is not income
> that can be put in a gas tank, and burned! <g>

Not in the year in which it was earned, but when you sell the capital
asset, the income is very real. :-)

Matt

Morgans
November 13th 05, 02:00 AM
"Matt Whiting" > wrote

> I assume you are talking income from the income statement perspective.
> How much did your property increase in value last year? As a sole
> proprietor, you have to include you balance sheet as well. :-)
> Changes in owner's equity is an important source of "income" as well.

While this is certainly true from an accounting standpoint, it is not income
that can be put in a gas tank, and burned! <g>
--
Jim in NC

Jose
November 13th 05, 05:25 AM
> While this is certainly true from an accounting standpoint, it is not income
> that can be put in a gas tank, and burned!

Yes it is. Eventually.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.

Jay Honeck
November 13th 05, 02:05 PM
> Not in the year in which it was earned, but when you sell the capital
> asset, the income is very real. :-)

And it's very transitory.

A new Comfort Suites goes up across the street, and *poof*! -- it all goes
away...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Matt Whiting
November 13th 05, 02:25 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:
>>Not in the year in which it was earned, but when you sell the capital
>>asset, the income is very real. :-)
>

> And it's very transitory.
>
> A new Comfort Suites goes up across the street, and *poof*! -- it all goes
> away...

Who told you about my plans? :-)

Matt

Jay Honeck
November 13th 05, 02:33 PM
>> A new Comfort Suites goes up across the street, and *poof*! -- it all
>> goes away...
>
> Who told you about my plans? :-)

Actually, I'll partner with you. It would be very cool to start from
scratch with a new facility...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Andrew Rowley
December 1st 05, 10:35 PM
Eduardo K. > wrote:

>check this:
>
>http://www.nn.cl/aviation/alexisparkinn.com/rogue's_gallery.php
>
>its a small script that looks in a 'rdata' directory for directories with
>pictures. each directory has a data.txt file withthe text and picture names.

Hi Eduardo,

Would you be interested in doing it slightly differently, and keeping
the text in separate files with the same name as the photo? You could
also use the photo filename as a title. That might make it easier to
maintain if you wanted to move photos to different directories etc.

I have a program that makes it easy to organise photos that way (but
haven't done anything to generate web pages from it), and I would be
happy to donate a copy to Jay if he would like to use it.

See http://www.picnam.com to get an idea of what it does.

Regards

Andrew Rowley

--
Andrew Rowley

Easily rename and record information about digital photos.
http://www.renamepics.com

Google