PDA

View Full Version : 337 for vent covers?

Robert M. Gary
November 9th 05, 10:56 PM
http://www.planeplastics.com is telling me I need to get a 337 to
replace my plastic air vent covers. Is that true? What would an
inspector be looking for? Too much cooling for the backseat and too hot
up front? :)

-Robert

Newps
November 9th 05, 11:15 PM
The best vent covers ever are made by this guy.

http://www.saircorp.com/sair_049.htm

I used them for a season when I had my 182. If somebody wants 'em...$25.

Robert M. Gary wrote:

> http://www.planeplastics.com is telling me I need to get a 337 to
> replace my plastic air vent covers. Is that true? What would an
> inspector be looking for? Too much cooling for the backseat and too hot
> up front? :)
>
> -Robert

Robert M. Gary
November 10th 05, 12:04 AM
Will they fit a Mooney?

Jim Burns
November 10th 05, 01:21 AM
See AC 43-210 about determining whether or not you need a 337.
y. Major Alteration. An alteration that is not listed in the aircraft,
engine, or propeller specifications that also fits one or more of the
following: An alteration that might appreciably affect airworthiness by
changing weight, balance, structural strength, performance, powerplant
operation, flight characteristics, or other qualities affecting
airworthiness; is not done by accepted practices; or cannot be done by
elementary operations.

z. Major Repair. A repair that, if improperly done, might affect weight,
balance, structural strength, performance, powerplant operation, flight
characteristics, or other qualities affecting airworthiness, or is not done
by accepted practices or cannot be done by elementary operations.

Jim

"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> http://www.planeplastics.com is telling me I need to get a 337 to
> replace my plastic air vent covers. Is that true? What would an
> inspector be looking for? Too much cooling for the backseat and too hot
> up front? :)
>
> -Robert

Jim Burns
November 10th 05, 01:35 AM
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/examiners_inspectors/8300/volume2/media/2_001_00.pdf

Has a decision making flow chart as well as other determination procedures
that the inspectors follow to determine if you need a 337.

Jim

"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> http://www.planeplastics.com is telling me I need to get a 337 to
> replace my plastic air vent covers. Is that true? What would an
> inspector be looking for? Too much cooling for the backseat and too hot
> up front? :)
>
> -Robert

Robert M. Gary
November 10th 05, 02:30 AM
Seems like a lot of crap to go through just to replace some plastic
vent covers so the interior looks nice.

-Robert

November 10th 05, 03:09 AM
Put them in and don't worry about it. They were always there.

Robert M. Gary wrote:
> Seems like a lot of crap to go through just to replace some plastic
> vent covers so the interior looks nice.
>
> -Robert

November 10th 05, 04:33 AM
On 9-Nov-2005, "Robert M. Gary" > wrote:

> http://www.planeplastics.com is telling me I need to get a 337 to
> replace my plastic air vent covers. Is that true?

You don't say the type of airplane or the nature of the "air vent covers"
that you are replacing. However, an owner/operator is given certain
latitude in dealing with non-structural interior components provided that no
structural member is involved in assembly, repair, or replacement, and there
is no change in the weight and balance. If you can stretch the description
of the part to a "decorative furnishing of the cabin" there is no issue with
your replacing or repairing it yourself.

For what it's worth, we recently installed several parts from
Planeplastics.com in our Arrow, and I described the process to this group.
Here's a link to the thread on Google Groups:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.aviation.owning/browse_thread/thread/a0b022344f555908/7ecbe95059885c03?lnk=st&q=arrow+vent+drucker&rnum=1&hl=en#7ecbe95059885c03

We never received any warning from Planeplastics.com about the need for a
337.
--
-Elliott Drucker

Jim Burns
November 10th 05, 03:12 PM
Yep, it's a lot to look through, but in my opinion it repeatedly points back
to the definition of Major Repair or Alteration. I don't think that the
vent covers affect the airworthiness by any of the listed methods, install
is done by accepted practices and can be done by elementary operations. I
just don't think it meets the definition of a major repair or alteration.

Jim

"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Seems like a lot of crap to go through just to replace some plastic
> vent covers so the interior looks nice.
>
> -Robert

Ben Smith
November 10th 05, 04:05 PM
While I'm not sure about your original question, I've seen many instances
where people just place a strip of duct tape over their vents in the winter.

Robert M. Gary
November 10th 05, 05:30 PM
I'm looking for pretty. My vents are cracked and look bad. I'm also
replacing the headliner at the same time.

Robert M. Gary
November 10th 05, 05:30 PM
I'm not sure if this is related or not, but they said they cannot
produce a new cover from their template. I must send them my old one.
This must be an FAA thing because they've made the same vent for other
people many times.

Jim Burns
November 10th 05, 05:50 PM
Please let me know how the headliner replacement goes. We've got that
project on our "to do" list for next summer.
Thanks!
Jim

"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm looking for pretty. My vents are cracked and look bad. I'm also
> replacing the headliner at the same time.

nrp
November 10th 05, 05:50 PM
Sorry guys, but if I didn't know better, I'd think this thread is a
spoof......

Robert M. Gary
November 12th 05, 05:31 PM
This is the same FAA that said I could put in a back up attitude
indicator in my Mooney but that if it didn't have an STC I'd have to
label it "For VFR use only" :)

-Robert

Google