PDA

View Full Version : Re: Mode S questoin

JerryK
July 17th 03, 06:50 PM
I thought regardless of discrete code, mode S always transmitted the code
assigned to each US registered A/C. However, I remember hearing that ATC
does not have the equipment required to do anything with the mode S code.

"Viperdoc" > wrote in message
> If squawking 1200 with a mode S transponder does ATC automatically see
your
> N number on their radar? (Assuming you are flying in a mode S environment)
>
> How about if you are assigned a discrete code- will your N number come up
> then without their having to enter the numbers?

Ron Natalie
July 17th 03, 09:56 PM
"JerryK" > wrote in message ...
> I thought regardless of discrete code, mode S always transmitted the code
> assigned to each US registered A/C. However, I remember hearing that ATC
> does not have the equipment required to do anything with the mode S code.

The ground radar can select the kind of reply it wants, but the common one is
a 56bit message with the discrete code, the altitude, and the mode S address.

Google