PDA

View Full Version : Your Chance to Design a Fly-In

Jay Honeck
November 12th 05, 01:35 PM
Okay, so I've been "volunteered" to be on the board of directors of the
biggest fly-in event in Iowa City's history, the Eastern Iowa Big Kids Toy
Show, scheduled for May 20 - 21, 2006.

See us at www.BigKidToyShow.com (Yes, they made me wear a -- *sob* -- TIE
for the photos... It was awful! ;-)

This will be the second annual show, so we've got a basic template of events
that looks like this:

Saturday, 7 A-2P
- Fly-In/Drive-In Pancake Breakfast
- Static displays of aircraft (and all sorts of other "Big Kid Toys" like
exotic sports cars, motorcycles, off-road vehicles, motorhomes, boats, etc.
Many car dealers participated last year, naturally)
- Fly-overs by yet-to-be-named aircraft...
- Lunch served by (of course) the Johnson County Pork Producers
- Custom car show
- Lots of stuff for kids (inflatable thingies, etc.)
- Hangar Dance, 8P- ??

Sunday, 7 A-2P
- Fly-In/Drive-In Pancake Breakfast
- Static displays of aircraft (and all sorts of other "Big Kid Toys" like
exotic sports cars, motorcycles, off-road vehicles, motorhomes, boats, etc.)
- Fly-overs by yet-to-be-named aircraft...
- Lunch served by (of course) Johnson County Pork Producers

Show sponsorships are sold to anyone who wants to display their "big kid
toy." So, for example, if a Ferrari dealer wants to put one of his cars on
display, he will have to cough up a few bucks. All proceeds from the show
will go to the Iowa Children's Museum for the construction of an aviation
display! (Isn't that awesome? :-)

We were thinking our local EAA chapter could help construct a nice flight
simulator for the kids, but the museum has given us a HUGE area to fill, so
we could even display a full-sized aircraft along with it!

I'm looking for ideas! I've been to a zillion fly-ins, some terrific,
others lame, and I would sure like to hear from those who have done this
before, so I don't have to learn from my mistakes. What makes a great
fly-in? (Besides good weather, of course) I'm hoping we can get a bunch
of World War II aircraft on display, and maybe some military fly-overs
during the show -- who should one contact for stuff like that?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Bob Noel
November 12th 05, 01:46 PM
In article <Hcmdf.324601$084.275113@attbi_s22>,
"Jay Honeck" > wrote:

> Okay, so I've been "volunteered" to be on the board of directors of the
> biggest fly-in event in Iowa City's history, the Eastern Iowa Big Kids Toy
> Show, scheduled for May 20 - 21, 2006.
>
> See us at www.BigKidToyShow.com (Yes, they made me wear a -- *sob* -- TIE
> for the photos... It was awful! ;-)

where's the photo? How can we abuse you for wearing a tie if we can't see
the photo?

[snip]
> All proceeds from the show
> will go to the Iowa Children's Museum for the construction of an aviation
> display! (Isn't that awesome? :-)

yes.

> We were thinking our local EAA chapter could help construct a nice flight
> simulator for the kids, but the museum has given us a HUGE area to fill, so
> we could even display a full-sized aircraft along with it!
>
> I'm looking for ideas!

Can you obtain/borrow/steal/beg some simulators? would it be possible
to setup a couple of pc-based sims? Do you have anyone local who knows
the ins & outs of Elite or X-plane or even (shudder) MSFS?

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Darrel Toepfer
November 12th 05, 02:33 PM
Bob Noel wrote:

> where's the photo? How can we abuse you for wearing a tie if we can't see
> the photo?

http://www.bigkidtoyshow.com/contact_us.htm

Jim Burns
November 12th 05, 04:26 PM
> I'm hoping we can get a bunch
> of World War II aircraft on display, and maybe some military fly-overs
> during the show -- who should one contact for stuff like that?

http://www.commemorativeairforce.org/index.shtml

The STE pilots association hired the Minnesota Wing to fly in their B25 a
couple years ago. I don't remember the cost, but it's not cheap.

Do you have any WWII or military hardware collectors near by? We have
several groups around here that collect trucks and heavy ground equipment.
Usually they are happy to bring their collections to local events.

What about the fire department? A couple big fire trucks, especially the
hook and ladders, are always popular with the kids.

Any hospital air lift helicopters available or willing to be on display?
They always seem to be at the fly-ins around Central Wis. Very willing to
help educate the public about what they do.

Local Police have a bomb squad? I've seen those guys at a few flyins
showing off their equipment.

Do you have a local crane rental company? I've been to a couple shows that
will have a big (well not tooo tall) crane, with a big flag flying from the
hook. Kids think anything huge is cool.

Local farm implement dealer willing to give tractor rides?

Jim

Bob Noel
November 12th 05, 04:46 PM
In article >,
Darrel Toepfer > wrote:

> Bob Noel wrote:
>
> > where's the photo? How can we abuse you for wearing a tie if we can't see
> > the photo?
>
> http://www.bigkidtoyshow.com/contact_us.htm

I swear I tried that link earlier.

But anyway...

Jay: I tie AND a suitcoat? Have you no pride?

and a boring tie at that. No aviation theme on the tie? what
about an Alexis Park Inn tie?

jeez

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Doug
November 12th 05, 05:28 PM
Rally and flour drop.

Food.

Live Band.

Parachuters.

RST Engineering
November 12th 05, 05:52 PM
Bach, Richard: "A Gift Of Wings", 'The Dream Fly-In' pp 266-272.

Jim

> Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Montblack
November 12th 05, 06:27 PM
("Jay Honeck" wrote)
> Okay, so I've been "volunteered" to be on the board of directors of the
> biggest fly-in event in Iowa City's history, the Eastern Iowa Big Kids Toy
> Show, scheduled for May 20 - 21, 2006.
>
> See us at www.BigKidToyShow.com (Yes, they made me wear a -- *sob* --
> TIE for the photos... It was awful! ;-)

"Gentlemen, it's photograph day, where are your scarves?"

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z5F02106B
(Same link a below ...wait for it)

<http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/July4thParade/Small%20Becca,%20Mary,%20Jay%20&%20Jade%20with%20sign%20&%20Mustang%202%207-04.jpg>

Montblack

Jay Honeck
November 12th 05, 07:42 PM
> > http://www.bigkidtoyshow.com/contact_us.htm
>
> I swear I tried that link earlier.

Yes, I've been conned into doing the website, too. But that picture
has been "up" since last Thursday.

> Jay: I tie AND a suitcoat? Have you no pride?
>
> and a boring tie at that. No aviation theme on the tie? what
> about an Alexis Park Inn tie?

I *almost* wore one of my "flying" ties -- but thought better of it.
After all, this solemn occasion was to mark the creation of a 501(3)c
non-profit organization that will (hopefully) become the core of MANY
airport-related activities. And, don't forget, we're supposed to be
*impressing* potential donors!

Although the picture-taking was pretty hilarious. It's amazing how
highly-educated, highly-motivated people can completely screw up using
a fully-automated digital camera.

But on the plus side, I now have some great "blooper" films. Yes,
somehow the photographer managed to switch my camera to "video" and
took several ridiculous movies of us trying to look business-like for
more than five seconds....

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jose
November 12th 05, 11:02 PM
> It's amazing how
> highly-educated, highly-motivated people can completely screw up using
> a fully-automated digital camera.

Actually, those are the easiest ones to screw up, because they insist
that they are smarter than you. My camera for instance insists on doing
all the focusing and light metering itself. IT's often wrong and takes
too long. I cannot set it to "ten feet, take the damned picture".

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.

Bob Noel
November 12th 05, 11:16 PM
In article om>,
"Jay Honeck" > wrote:

> But on the plus side, I now have some great "blooper" films. Yes,
> somehow the photographer managed to switch my camera to "video" and
> took several ridiculous movies of us trying to look business-like for
> more than five seconds....

and that will on your website when....?

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Jay Honeck
November 12th 05, 11:41 PM
> > But on the plus side, I now have some great "blooper" films. Yes,
> > somehow the photographer managed to switch my camera to "video" and
> > took several ridiculous movies of us trying to look business-like for
> > more than five seconds....
>
> and that will on your website when....?

Hey, I've got to *work* with these guys, ya know...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Bob Noel
November 13th 05, 01:22 AM
In article om>,
"Jay Honeck" > wrote:

> > > But on the plus side, I now have some great "blooper" films. Yes,
> > > somehow the photographer managed to switch my camera to "video" and
> > > took several ridiculous movies of us trying to look business-like for
> > > more than five seconds....
> >
> > and that will on your website when....?
>
> Hey, I've got to *work* with these guys, ya know...

I'm sure someone reading this thread could blur/fuzz out everyone
else but you. :-)

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Montblack
November 13th 05, 02:47 AM
("Jay Honeck" wrote)
[snips]
> Okay, so I've been "volunteered" to be on the board of directors of the
> biggest fly-in event in Iowa City's history, the Eastern Iowa Big Kids Toy
> Show, scheduled for May 20 - 21, 2006.

> This will be the second annual show,

> Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Lots and lots of chairs and benches. People love to sit.

Montblack

George Patterson
November 13th 05, 03:08 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> I'm hoping we can get a bunch
> of World War II aircraft on display, and maybe some military fly-overs
> during the show -- who should one contact for stuff like that?

Contact all war museums with flyable aircraft within about 600 miles; most of
the best birds displayed at flyins in this area come from museums in New York or
New England. Also call up the CAF; Iowa isn't that far from one of their main
bases. Many of their planes are privately owned, and some warbird owners are
happy to have an excuse to fly their plane to an exhibit. It helps a lot if you
can provide some gas at your end. Also talk around locally. There's bound to be
at least a T-6 or two not far away.

For flyovers, you might try the nearest Air National Guard, or go for broke --
contact the PR department of the USAF and ask if something impressive will be in
the air that day and might be able to divert a bit and fly over. Who knows?
Maybe they'll display a modern fighter if you let them set up a recruiting table.

Lastly (or maybe firstly) contact EAA and see if they can help. I expect they're
likely to want some bread, but maybe not.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Tim
November 13th 05, 06:33 PM
"With this donation, the joy and wonder of flight will be passed on to
our youth, ensuring a place for them in the sky!"

That's funny, I thought kids or some people are naturally disposed to
the 'joy and wonder of flight...' You can't really 'pass it on' with a
museum in my opinion. Unless there are a lot of hands on things that
are somewhat dangerous most kids don't give a hoot.

I would bet an endowment for a bunch of 'first flight' fuel purchases
and Young eagle volunteers would be a better way to keep a steady stream
of kids interested in flight.

It seems to me that today the airports and planes are just not as
accessible as they once were - due to cost, perception of danger,
security concerns, etc. Anything we can do to make it easier for kids
to hang around an airport and watch planes would be a great thing. I am
not necessarily against static displays in museums, but kids usually
want to 'do' stuff.

Just my opinion.

Jay Honeck
November 14th 05, 12:49 AM
> Lastly (or maybe firstly) contact EAA and see if they can help. I expect
> they're likely to want some bread, but maybe not.

They are going to be doing one of the two pancake breakfasts, AND helping
with the design (and possible construction) of the aviation display at the
Children's Museum! We also expect that they will be doing a Young Eagles
day in conjunction with the show.

EAA is going to be an integral part of this show, for sure.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
November 14th 05, 12:56 AM
> "With this donation, the joy and wonder of flight will be passed on to
> our youth, ensuring a place for them in the sky!"
>
> That's funny, I thought kids or some people are naturally disposed to
> the 'joy and wonder of flight...' You can't really 'pass it on' with a
> museum in my opinion. Unless there are a lot of hands on things that
> are somewhat dangerous most kids don't give a hoot.

I think a flight simulator that looks like an airplane, with a stick and
throttle and moving control surfaces, ought to capture the imagination of
the kids, don't you?

> I would bet an endowment for a bunch of 'first flight' fuel purchases
> and Young eagle volunteers would be a better way to keep a steady stream
> of kids interested in flight.

Ah, now you're jumping ahead a couple of years. This will be the second
annual show, and we hope it will (1) raise public awareness of the airport,
and (2) raise money for an great aviation-related charity.

In future years, we would like to fund a flight training scholarship(s) for
worthy youth, among other things! THEN we will really be helping GA, IMHO.

> It seems to me that today the airports and planes are just not as
> accessible as they once were - due to cost, perception of danger,
> security concerns, etc. Anything we can do to make it easier for kids
> to hang around an airport and watch planes would be a great thing. I am
> not necessarily against static displays in museums, but kids usually
> want to 'do' stuff.

The Childrens Museum is located at our local (quite large) shopping mall,
and it is literally mobbed with kids from age 2 - 12 every day. THIS is the
place to capture their imagination, IMHO.

If we catch 'em there, we'll clean 'em and fry 'em later on out at the
airfield!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

George Patterson
November 14th 05, 03:03 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> EAA is going to be an integral part of this show, for sure.

Fine, but have you asked the national organization for advice on the matter of
getting a military flyby or visits from warbirds? They seem to be able to do it
pretty well, so maybe they can give you some tips.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Morgans
November 14th 05, 03:34 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote

> EAA is going to be an integral part of this show, for sure.

How about seeing if anyone in the chapter has a partially built airplane
that they would be able to bring and display. Most people have no idea that
people can actually build an airplane that you can really fly in!
--
Jim in NC

November 14th 05, 04:48 PM
Jay -

Some thoughts, in no particular order....

The DNR water bombers are usually popular with both the kids and the
adults. Besides a static display, a demo during the "air show" portion
could be arranged. Be prepared for a quick exit by these folks, if they
get called out. May is already fire season (depending on weather of
course) up here in Minnesota, don't know about Iowa.

For cool fly bys of military arcft - When I was Technical Director our
local Independance Day Celebration (the largest in the state, and
continues to this day, by the way) about a hundred years ago, it took a
few phone calls to get the right general on the phone, but I started
with the National Guard at Camp Ripley, which is our local base. Within
a couple of days, I had a call back and it was all arranged. Arrived
within 20 seconds of scheduled time, too! Those guys are good. (The
first (or second, don't recall now,) they sent a ground crew up with a
radio (Mil UHF, had to use theirs) that we patched into the PA system.
Crowd thought it was very cool to listen to the pilots as they made
their passes - even got a few words directed to the crowd from the lead
plane.

The Duluth MN airshow a few years ago (its scheduled again for 2006, I
understand) had a large turn out of the Military recruiters (Duluth
being a NG air base) who had all kinds of very cool activities for the
kids. My son spent much time in the Marines (inflatable) obsticale
course. This thing was hugh, complete with ropes to climb and things to
crawl under/thru. It even included genuine Marine Drill Sargents with
the "smokey-bear" hat and LOUD voices.

Local flight school/ FBO offering 15-20 minute plane rides, helicopter
rides...

Don't forget to involve at least one local radio station as a sponsor.

Send posters to airports and such in a large radius - what better
reason to get in the plane and fly somewhere?

Randy

RST Engineering
November 14th 05, 04:58 PM
And be very careful of what you call the "contests" (i.e. "flour bombing
contest"). Most aircraft insurance policies have clauses regarding
"contests" and I don't think you want to run afoul of this little glitch.

Jim

Ross Richardson
November 14th 05, 05:38 PM
One thing we did as a community service during one of our EAA Young
Eagle events was to have the local police come in a photo/fingerprint
children. All of the information was given to the parents if needed for
future use. It was free.

Any CAF squadrons around the area?

-------------
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

Jim Burns wrote:
>> I'm hoping we can get a bunch
>>of World War II aircraft on display, and maybe some military fly-overs
>>during the show -- who should one contact for stuff like that?
>

> http://www.commemorativeairforce.org/index.shtml
>
> The STE pilots association hired the Minnesota Wing to fly in their B25 a
> couple years ago. I don't remember the cost, but it's not cheap.
>
> Do you have any WWII or military hardware collectors near by? We have
> several groups around here that collect trucks and heavy ground equipment.
> Usually they are happy to bring their collections to local events.
>
> What about the fire department? A couple big fire trucks, especially the
> hook and ladders, are always popular with the kids.
>
> Any hospital air lift helicopters available or willing to be on display?
> They always seem to be at the fly-ins around Central Wis. Very willing to
> help educate the public about what they do.
>
> Local Police have a bomb squad? I've seen those guys at a few flyins
> showing off their equipment.
>
> Do you have a local crane rental company? I've been to a couple shows that
> will have a big (well not tooo tall) crane, with a big flag flying from the
> hook. Kids think anything huge is cool.
>
> Local farm implement dealer willing to give tractor rides?
>

> Jim

Ross Richardson
November 14th 05, 05:44 PM
Oh, we also had the Aviation Department from a local college bring some
airplanes and instructors to set up a booth on the ramp. The only
instructors that they could find were females. There was a line at the
booth!

-------------
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

George Patterson wrote:
> Jay Honeck wrote:
>
>> I'm hoping we can get a bunch of World War II aircraft on display, and
>> maybe some military fly-overs during the show -- who should one
>> contact for stuff like that?
>

> Contact all war museums with flyable aircraft within about 600 miles;
> most of the best birds displayed at flyins in this area come from
> museums in New York or New England. Also call up the CAF; Iowa isn't
> that far from one of their main bases. Many of their planes are
> privately owned, and some warbird owners are happy to have an excuse to
> fly their plane to an exhibit. It helps a lot if you can provide some
> gas at your end. Also talk around locally. There's bound to be at least
> a T-6 or two not far away.
>
> For flyovers, you might try the nearest Air National Guard, or go for
> broke -- contact the PR department of the USAF and ask if something
> impressive will be in the air that day and might be able to divert a bit
> and fly over. Who knows? Maybe they'll display a modern fighter if you
> let them set up a recruiting table.
>
> Lastly (or maybe firstly) contact EAA and see if they can help. I expect
> they're likely to want some bread, but maybe not.
>
> George Patterson
> Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your
> neighbor.
> It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Ross Richardson
November 14th 05, 05:52 PM
Let me rain on your parade a minute to be sure you have considered
insurance. We have tried to do things and run into insurance problems.
The city wants to be named on all policies. Everybody want to me named
on each others policy. It just seems to go on and on. There never seems
to be a blanket solution.

Just be sure you consider this. It may be a full time position for someone.

-------------
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

Jay Honeck wrote:
> Okay, so I've been "volunteered" to be on the board of directors of the
> biggest fly-in event in Iowa City's history, the Eastern Iowa Big Kids Toy
> Show, scheduled for May 20 - 21, 2006.
>
> See us at www.BigKidToyShow.com (Yes, they made me wear a -- *sob* -- TIE
> for the photos... It was awful! ;-)
>
> This will be the second annual show, so we've got a basic template of events
> that looks like this:
>
> Saturday, 7 A-2P
> - Fly-In/Drive-In Pancake Breakfast
> - Static displays of aircraft (and all sorts of other "Big Kid Toys" like
> exotic sports cars, motorcycles, off-road vehicles, motorhomes, boats, etc.
> Many car dealers participated last year, naturally)
> - Fly-overs by yet-to-be-named aircraft...
> - Lunch served by (of course) the Johnson County Pork Producers
> - Custom car show
> - Lots of stuff for kids (inflatable thingies, etc.)
> - Hangar Dance, 8P- ??
>
> Sunday, 7 A-2P
> - Fly-In/Drive-In Pancake Breakfast
> - Static displays of aircraft (and all sorts of other "Big Kid Toys" like
> exotic sports cars, motorcycles, off-road vehicles, motorhomes, boats, etc.)
> - Fly-overs by yet-to-be-named aircraft...
> - Lunch served by (of course) Johnson County Pork Producers
>
> Show sponsorships are sold to anyone who wants to display their "big kid
> toy." So, for example, if a Ferrari dealer wants to put one of his cars on
> display, he will have to cough up a few bucks. All proceeds from the show
> will go to the Iowa Children's Museum for the construction of an aviation
> display! (Isn't that awesome? :-)
>
> We were thinking our local EAA chapter could help construct a nice flight
> simulator for the kids, but the museum has given us a HUGE area to fill, so
> we could even display a full-sized aircraft along with it!
>
> I'm looking for ideas! I've been to a zillion fly-ins, some terrific,
> others lame, and I would sure like to hear from those who have done this
> before, so I don't have to learn from my mistakes. What makes a great
> fly-in? (Besides good weather, of course) I'm hoping we can get a bunch
> of World War II aircraft on display, and maybe some military fly-overs
> during the show -- who should one contact for stuff like that?
>
> Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Montblack
November 14th 05, 07:39 PM
("Ross Richardson" wrote)
[snip]
> Let me rain on your parade a minute to be sure you have considered
> insurance.

Don't forget to ask yourself - "What will happed if we get two straight days
of 45 degrees and drizzle?"

That happened two years ago for our (May 20th) Discover Aviation Days at
(ANE) Anoka County-Blaine, MN

It was a financial disaster! Car parking had supported about 50% of the
event costs over the years ($2 per car). No cars to park in 2004 - I know
this because I was out in the field for those two days, getting wet and not
parking any cars.

On top of that, a few key supporters pulled out so D.A.D suspended
operations. Last year we had a loosely organized open house instead of
Discover Aviation Days. 2005 was a dud.

Montblack

Chris G.
November 14th 05, 10:13 PM

Jay Honeck
November 14th 05, 10:16 PM
> Let me rain on your parade a minute to be sure you have considered
> insurance. We have tried to do things and run into insurance problems.
> The city wants to be named on all policies. Everybody want to me named
> on each others policy. It just seems to go on and on. There never seems
> to be a blanket solution.
>
> Just be sure you consider this. It may be a full time position for someone.

Luckily, this will be the SECOND annual event. I'm fairly confident
that the original organizers (some of whom are still with us) crossed
the insurance bridge last year, and all we've got to do is sign the
paperwork.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Randy Aldous
November 14th 05, 10:26 PM
Jay, With all due respect to last year's organizers, make sure someone
knowledgable in such matters reviews those insurance contracts before
they are signed. Since last year was the *first* year, there is no
telling what may have been overlooked. Plus this year sounds to be
shaping up to be bigger/ better than the last, so there are likely
things being planned that last year's insurance didn't cover, let alone
think about.

Just playing devil's advocate. Better to bring up stuff now, and find
out its a non-issue than to have it pop up later and find out it is.
Kinda like a thunderstorm, if you know its there and account for it in
planning, the flight goes well. If you never looked, or just assumed it
wouldn't be a problem, it can ruin your day.

Randy

Jay Honeck
November 15th 05, 03:40 AM
> The Duluth MN airshow a few years ago (its scheduled again for 2006, I
> understand) had a large turn out of the Military recruiters (Duluth
> being a NG air base) who had all kinds of very cool activities for the
> kids. My son spent much time in the Marines (inflatable) obsticale
> course. This thing was hugh, complete with ropes to climb and things to
> crawl under/thru. It even included genuine Marine Drill Sargents with
> the "smokey-bear" hat and LOUD voices.

You mean this thing: http://alexisparkinn.com/november_'05_open_house.htm
??

We had it at our CAP squadron's open house last week. A really remarkable
piece of equipment!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
November 15th 05, 03:42 AM
> Don't forget to ask yourself - "What will happed if we get two straight
> days of 45 degrees and drizzle?"

There is NO admission charge to our show. It is 100% sponsor-funded, with
NO charge to the general public.

Except, of course, for the food. The pancake breakfasts could be a real
disaster with two days of cold rain... But we'd still make money for the
Children's Museum.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
November 15th 05, 03:43 AM
> Just playing devil's advocate. Better to bring up stuff now, and find
> out its a non-issue than to have it pop up later and find out it is.

Did you happen to notice that one of our board members is an attorney?

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

nrp
November 15th 05, 04:37 AM
Be sure to get someone professional (like an experienced AT Controller)
on a good radio with good signal strength etc to monitor and sequence
of all incoming and departing traffic. A temporary tower is good but
be sure he knows the field and any runway limitations. Have someone
monitoring any more normal Unicom frequencies to steer everyone to the
right CTAF.

At the annual SSQ flyin we have a spare CTAF receiver connected to the
PA system at low levels so the public can hear what's happening. Have
a PA system so pilots can be paged if necessary.

Use wing walkers on all A/C taxiing around general public areas. A
separate (and posted) ground frequency is good too.

N93332
November 16th 05, 03:48 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> There is NO admission charge to our show. It is 100% sponsor-funded,
> with NO charge to the general public.
>
> Except, of course, for the food. The pancake breakfasts could be a real
> disaster with two days of cold rain... But we'd still make money for the
> Children's Museum.

Make sure that PIC's get free breakfasts! Around here during the fly-in
season, the local pilots look through the listings of fly-ins and pick the
ones that are free to the PIC. A few fly-ins also offer free breakfast for
the co-pilot. ;-) They usually have a sign in sheet for the pilot for their
aircraft type, N-number and where they flew in from. It's a great way to
tell how many planes have flown in and from where. Helps for advertising for
the next year.

I see you're already listed on http://www.iawings.com/calender/yearly.htm.
You may want to get listed on
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/aero/avoffice/events/fly-ins.html. Illinois,
Wisconsin, Missouri, etc., should also have similar sites.

One poster suggested setting up temporary air/ground traffic control. Unless
you expect to be the size of Air-Adventure, I don't see that it's needed.
I've been to local fly-ins with 120+ planes flying in and out of smaller
airports (MKT, 0K7, SPW, etc.) within a few hours without need for temporary
traffic control.

I've got your fly-in penciled in! I hope to fly into IOW sometime before
that also.

-Greg B.

Jay Honeck
November 16th 05, 03:53 PM
> I see you're already listed on http://www.iawings.com/calender/yearly.htm.
> You may want to get listed on
> http://www.dot.state.mn.us/aero/avoffice/events/fly-ins.html. Illinois,
> Wisconsin, Missouri, etc., should also have similar sites.

Thanks, Greg.

Yeah, I had started to announce the event on the internet about a month ago.
Then, the organizing committee darned near fell apart, so I backed off.
(Lots of political crap, as always with these kinds of things. Funny how
that is!)

We're now back on track, with a reconstituted and committed team. I'll be
getting back to sending out announcements soon.

> I've got your fly-in penciled in! I hope to fly into IOW sometime before
> that also.

Sounds great!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Dave Butler
November 16th 05, 04:23 PM
N93332 wrote:

> One poster suggested setting up temporary air/ground traffic control. Unless
> you expect to be the size of Air-Adventure, I don't see that it's needed.
> I've been to local fly-ins with 120+ planes flying in and out of smaller
> airports (MKT, 0K7, SPW, etc.) within a few hours without need for temporary
> traffic control.

I agree, and I'd further add that you shouldn't do it unless you have a
professional air traffic controller. I've been to fly-ins where well-intentioned
non-professionals on the unicom just couldn't stop talking and arriving aircraft
couldn't get a word in to announce themselves.

Dave

Darrel Toepfer
November 16th 05, 05:16 PM
Dave Butler wrote:
> N93332 wrote:
>
>> One poster suggested setting up temporary air/ground traffic control.
>> Unless you expect to be the size of Air-Adventure, I don't see that
>> it's needed. I've been to local fly-ins with 120+ planes flying in and
>> out of smaller airports (MKT, 0K7, SPW, etc.) within a few hours
>> without need for temporary traffic control.
>
> I agree, and I'd further add that you shouldn't do it unless you have a
> professional air traffic controller. I've been to fly-ins where
> well-intentioned non-professionals on the unicom just couldn't stop
> talking and arriving aircraft couldn't get a word in to announce
> themselves.

Been to ultralight flyins with a GA one, having somebody tell you whats
geauxing on helps, especially when the UL's don't have radios...

Newps
November 16th 05, 05:17 PM
Dave Butler wrote:
> N93332 wrote:
>
>> One poster suggested setting up temporary air/ground traffic control.
>> Unless you expect to be the size of Air-Adventure, I don't see that
>> it's needed. I've been to local fly-ins with 120+ planes flying in and
>> out of smaller airports (MKT, 0K7, SPW, etc.) within a few hours
>> without need for temporary traffic control.
>

> I agree, and I'd further add that you shouldn't do it unless you have a
> professional air traffic controller. I've been to fly-ins where
> well-intentioned non-professionals on the unicom just couldn't stop
> talking and arriving aircraft couldn't get a word in to announce
> themselves.

Not to mention the fact it ain't legal.

Randy Aldous
November 16th 05, 06:04 PM