PDA

View Full Version : Flyong from Toronto (Ontario) to Pitsburg Intl

Anthony Acri
July 23rd 03, 02:01 PM
Is there anything I should take into account? I will be filling IFR.
Probably stop for customs in Buffalo. Will be leaving Pittsburgh for the
return trip back around 12:30am. Do they have any closure times there?

--
Anthony Acri

(

July 25th 03, 02:39 AM
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 02:59:28 GMT, "Richard Kaplan" >
wrote:

> No closure times for the airport. The controllers are usually quite
> accommodating unless you happen to show up right in the middle of peak
> airliner arrivals. Even then the longest delay I can ever recall was maybe
> 15 minutes.
>
> You have no choice except to park at Signature, however, with all the usual
> high fees for a Signature. I remember I once landed at PIT with a student
> on a training flight and we did a U-turn in the far corner of the Signature
> parking lot and can you believe someone must have been out there with
> binoulars watching my wheels hit their pavement and therefore they sent me a
> $25 "Ramp Fee" bill?

Or they merely got your N-number from monitoring the tower/ground
frequencies.

Randy at Home
July 25th 03, 05:46 PM
> wrote in message
| On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 02:59:28 GMT, "Richard Kaplan" >
| wrote:
|
| > No closure times for the airport. The controllers are usually quite
| > accommodating unless you happen to show up right in the middle of peak
| > airliner arrivals. Even then the longest delay I can ever recall was
maybe
| > 15 minutes.
| >
| > You have no choice except to park at Signature, however, with all the
usual
| > high fees for a Signature. I remember I once landed at PIT with a
student
| > on a training flight and we did a U-turn in the far corner of the
Signature
| > parking lot and can you believe someone must have been out there with
| > binoulars watching my wheels hit their pavement and therefore they sent
me a
| > $25 "Ramp Fee" bill?
|
| Or they merely got your N-number from monitoring the tower/ground
| frequencies.

That must be it. I flew in back in 1998 and the GA ramp was closed, so
Ground put us beside a jetway to clear immigration. It was pretty funny
looking up at the jetway from a P28R wondering how to get up there. We got
the $25 bill too, about 2 months later without ever going near Signature.

Richard Kaplan
July 26th 03, 05:28 PM
"Randy at Home" > wrote in
message le.rogers.com...

> That must be it. I flew in back in 1998 and the GA ramp was closed, so
> Ground put us beside a jetway to clear immigration. It was pretty funny
> looking up at the jetway from a P28R wondering how to get up there. We got
> the $25 bill too, about 2 months later without ever going near Signature.

That is an interesting throught in terms of how this happened . I did,
however, call Signature by phone after I got the bill and say I did not use
their services but instead did just a landing and a taxi back for takeoff; I
was told I would not have been charged the fee unless my airplane physically
touched the ramp. I had to speak with the manager and told him I was only
briefly on a tiny part of the ramp to do a U turn and he said OK he would
"let me get by" this time but in the future if my wheels hit their pavement
then the full ramp fee is owed. I remember this well because this event
more than almost any other Signature policy convinced me to avoid Signature
anywhere and everywhere I go if there are any options.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Google