PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 430 Jeppesen Skybound updates

John Doe
November 21st 05, 04:03 AM
Is it possible to purchase a one-time update to the 430 database using the
Skybound adapter?

I don't fly enough IFR to require a current database year round and I'd like
to just update it during certain times during the year.

When I check their webpage all I can find is a one time mail in option using
the classic option, but the only skybound option is an annual subscription
which I don't really need. Why don't they have a one time deal like garmin
does on their webpage?

Thanks.

keepitrunning
November 21st 05, 04:25 AM
"John Doe" > wrote in message
news:qGbgf.14493$om5.386@dukeread04...> Is it possible to purchase a
one-time update to the 430 database using the
> Skybound adapter?

You have to call Jeppesen, they will sell you a one time update. It is
irritating that they won't sell you one over the web.
Gary

BillJ
November 21st 05, 11:52 AM
John Doe wrote:
> Is it possible to purchase a one-time update to the 430 database using the
> Skybound adapter?
>
> I don't fly enough IFR to require a current database year round and I'd like
> to just update it during certain times during the year.
>
> When I check their webpage all I can find is a one time mail in option using
> the classic option, but the only skybound option is an annual subscription
> which I don't really need. Why don't they have a one time deal like garmin
> does on their webpage?
>
> Thanks.

Why not just send your card to someone who does it every month and they
can send you theirs that just expired.

John Doe
November 21st 05, 09:26 PM
"BillJ" > wrote in message
> John Doe wrote:
>> Is it possible to purchase a one-time update to the 430 database using
>> the Skybound adapter?
>>
>> I don't fly enough IFR to require a current database year round and I'd
>> like to just update it during certain times during the year.
>>
>> When I check their webpage all I can find is a one time mail in option
>> using the classic option, but the only skybound option is an annual
>> subscription which I don't really need. Why don't they have a one time
>> deal like garmin does on their webpage?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Why not just send your card to someone who does it every month and they
> can send you theirs that just expired.

That doesn't really solve my problem.

I don't normally fly IMC so I don't really need to pay for continue updates
to be IFR legal with my Garmin 430. I can use an outdated database and just
use it as a backup to VFR navigation.

On the rare occasion that I do need to fly IFR with legal /G I would like to
be able to download the database update on the web, update my 430 and be
able to fly IFR when needed.

I did this to some extent with my handheld 196 off the garmin webpage. If I
was just doing local flying, I didn't really need to keep the database up to
date. If I was going to fly cross country, it was easy for me to update the
database the night prior to the flight.

jmk
November 21st 05, 10:31 PM
Worse, it REALLY is an ANNUAL subscription... You have to use all
thirteen copies in 12 months.

jmk

John Doe
November 21st 05, 10:38 PM
"jmk" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Worse, it REALLY is an ANNUAL subscription... You have to use all
> thirteen copies in 12 months.
>
> jmk

Wow, what a scam. They charge $105 for just one update and then force you
to pay $315 for an entire year. Must be nice to have a monopoly on the
data.

abripl
November 25th 05, 04:11 AM
> Wow, what a scam. They charge $105 for just one update and then force you
> to pay $315 for an entire year. Must be nice to have a monopoly on the data.

Scam... Yes. Take a look again... They just jacked up their prices by a
whopper. Those greedy b....... Thats what monopoly does. Isn't there
somebody else out there to offer competition?

Roy Page
November 25th 05, 01:30 PM
Quite honestly, I do not understand why the updates are so expensive.
Perhaps my understanding is incorrect, but I thought that all of the
navigation data used
was available for free from the FAA in electronic format ?
And, Jeppesen reformat that data and sell it directly or via Garmin to us
users ?

If I was correct, then the only cost to Jeppesen is the cost of the software
to automatically
reformat the nav data and a run for each new cycle.

How far away am I from the real facts ???

--
Roy
N5804F Piper Archer

"I have had some bad landings but I have never missed the runway"

"abripl" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>> Wow, what a scam. They charge $105 for just one update and then force
>> you
>> to pay $315 for an entire year. Must be nice to have a monopoly on the
>> data.
>
> Scam... Yes. Take a look again... They just jacked up their prices by a
> whopper. Those greedy b....... Thats what monopoly does. Isn't there
> somebody else out there to offer competition?

Morgans
November 25th 05, 03:23 PM
"Roy Page" > wrote

> If I was correct, then the only cost to Jeppesen is the cost of the
software
> to automatically
> reformat the nav data and a run for each new cycle.
>
> How far away am I from the real facts ???

How far from the facts does not enter in.

How much do you pay for Cadillac parts? Double what they are worth.

How much do you pay for stuff that has boat, or marine on the name? Triple
what they are worth.

How much do you pay for stuff that has airplane or aviation in the name?
Six times what they are worth.

You have to pay that amount, because you have no other choice, and the
market will bear the price. Period.
--
Jim in NC

John Doe
November 27th 05, 11:12 PM
"abripl" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>> Wow, what a scam. They charge $105 for just one update and then force
>> you
>> to pay $315 for an entire year. Must be nice to have a monopoly on the
>> data.
>
> Scam... Yes. Take a look again... They just jacked up their prices by a
> whopper. Those greedy b....... Thats what monopoly does. Isn't there
> somebody else out there to offer competition?

Looks like the same prices to me, I just checked again.

abripl
November 28th 05, 09:18 PM
> Looks like the same prices to me, I just checked again. ....

Hmmm... The skybound Americas is $489 / year now. But about $380 last
year.
I don't see any yearly sevice for $315 now. Can you give a link?

John Doe
November 28th 05, 09:46 PM
"abripl" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>> Looks like the same prices to me, I just checked again. ....
>
> Hmmm... The skybound Americas is $489 / year now. But about $380 last
> year.
> I don't see any yearly sevice for $315 now. Can you give a link?

I have their printed catalog in front of me order code DGR300 and if you
call them at 800-621-5366 they will verify this.

abripl
November 29th 05, 02:33 AM
Take a look at this link
http://www.jeppesen.com/wlcs/application/commercewf?origin=itemsummary.jsp&event=link(details)&wlcs_catalog_item_sku=DGRM2253&wlcs_catalog_category_id=CNS4A2A2&wlcs_document_type=details

OR http://tinyurl.com/98wh3

$489.95

Did you call and verify? Is the catalog current?

Aaron Coolidge
November 29th 05, 07:54 PM
In rec.aviation.owning Roy Page > wrote:
: If I was correct, then the only cost to Jeppesen is the cost of the software
: to automatically
: reformat the nav data and a run for each new cycle.

The FAA cannot be sued for any reason unless they agree to be sued. Jepp
can be sued by anyone at any time for anything.
--
Aaron C.

John Doe
November 29th 05, 09:26 PM
"abripl" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Take a look at this link
> http://www.jeppesen.com/wlcs/application/commercewf?origin=itemsummary.jsp&event=link(details)&wlcs_catalog_item_sku=DGRM2253&wlcs_catalog_category_id=CNS4A2A2&wlcs_document_type=details
>
> OR http://tinyurl.com/98wh3
>
> $489.95
>
> Did you call and verify? Is the catalog current?

That's a different product. That includes both north and south america (vs
just the USA) and it includes the USB adapter (approx $150)

Jose
November 30th 05, 12:30 AM
> The FAA cannot be sued for any reason unless they agree to be sued.

True of any governmental agency in the US. I wonder why any
governmental agency would allow itself to be sued.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.

abripl
November 30th 05, 02:42 AM
> That's a different product. That includes both north and south america (vs
> just the USA) and it includes the USB adapter (approx $150)

No it does not include the adapter. Read the description: "....Please
Note: Prices do not include the Skybound adapter...."

The one for USA only is $439.95 - see link

http://www.jeppesen.com/wlcs/application/commercewf?origin=itemsummary.jsp&event=link(details)&wlcs_catalog_item_sku=DGR20053&wlcs_catalog_category_id=CNS4A2A2&wlcs_document_type=details

A far cry from the $315 you have in your catalog.

John Doe
November 30th 05, 03:50 AM
"abripl" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> That's a different product. That includes both north and south america
>> (vs
>> just the USA) and it includes the USB adapter (approx $150)
>
> No it does not include the adapter. Read the description: "....Please
> Note: Prices do not include the Skybound adapter...."
>
> The one for USA only is $439.95 - see link
>
> http://www.jeppesen.com/wlcs/application/commercewf?origin=itemsummary.jsp&event=link(details)&wlcs_catalog_item_sku=DGR20053&wlcs_catalog_category_id=CNS4A2A2&wlcs_document_type=details
>
> A far cry from the $315 you have in your catalog.

I can only tell you what they tell me on the phone.

Have you called them?

Google