PDA

View Full Version : AF/D info available online?

Sydney Hoeltzli
July 27th 03, 08:11 PM
Is AF/D info available for download online?

Thanks,
Sydney

Scott Skylane
July 27th 03, 09:07 PM
Sydney Hoeltzli wrote:
> Is AF/D info available for download online?
>
> Thanks,
> Sydney

Sydney,

Try Mr. Fransson's "AFDX"

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/20114

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

Larry Dighera
July 27th 03, 09:15 PM
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 12:07:35 -0800, Scott Skylane
> wrote in Message-Id:
>:

>Sydney Hoeltzli wrote:
>> Is AF/D info available for download online?
>
>Try Mr. Fransson's "AFDX"
>
>http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/20114

Is there a version available for windows?

Product Requirements:
Mac OS X 10.2 or higher

Product Description:
AFDX brings the Airport/Facility Directory to your Mac's desktop.
But not only do you get the airports included in the standard
A/FD, but all of the private airports and other landing facilities
that are normally excluded from the A/FD. Every landing facility
listed in the FAA's airport database- airports, heliports,
gliderports - is available to you in AFDX. AFDX also includes an
extensive navaid database that covers North America, Central
America, and the Caribbean.

--

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera,

Sydney Hoeltzli
July 27th 03, 09:19 PM
Scott Skylane wrote:
> Sydney Hoeltzli wrote:

>> Is AF/D info available for download online?

> Try Mr. Fransson's "AFDX"
> http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/20114

Sounds like a nice program for the Mac. I don't got a Mac.

I was hoping for a more portable download format
(txt, pdf, maybe html).

Actually what I really want is something for the Palm OS

Thanks,
Sydney

Sydney Hoeltzli
July 27th 03, 09:32 PM
Roy Smith wrote:
> Sydney Hoeltzli > wrote:
>>I don't got a Mac.

> That can (and should) be fixed.

Mmmm. Persuade the instrument mfrs whose programs I gotta
run, home and work. Persuade DH's workplace.

And I'm right there.

In the meantime, how about AF/D in portable or
Palm format?

Cheers,
Sydney

Peter R.
July 27th 03, 09:41 PM
Sydney Hoeltzli wrote:

> Is AF/D info available for download online?

Sydney, I ran across what looks to be a pretty comprehensive AF/D
reference for the Palm, except that it is not free.

$39.99 gets you the software and one full year of updates.

http://www.notamd.com/aptins_palm.html

I am considering it but I am in the process of upgrading my handheld
first.

--
Peter

Doug Campbell
July 27th 03, 09:52 PM
The 2002 AOPA Membership CD has a facilities directory, with download to the
palm.

"Peter R." > wrote in message
ds.com...
> Sydney Hoeltzli wrote:
>
> > Is AF/D info available for download online?
>
> Sydney, I ran across what looks to be a pretty comprehensive AF/D
> reference for the Palm, except that it is not free.
>
> $39.99 gets you the software and one full year of updates.
>
> http://www.notamd.com/aptins_palm.html
>
> I am considering it but I am in the process of upgrading my handheld
> first.
>
> --
> Peter

Sydney Hoeltzli
July 27th 03, 11:57 PM
ArtP wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 19:11:42 GMT, Sydney Hoeltzli
> > wrote:

>>Is AF/D info available for download online?

> Join AOPA and get a free update every 28 days.

I have been an AOPA member for years.

Free update of what? AOPA directory?

AF/D it ain't.

Or are you saying they have the AF/Ds available for download
somewhere on their site?

Cheers,
Sydney

ArtP
July 28th 03, 12:21 AM
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 22:57:46 GMT, Sydney Hoeltzli
> wrote:

>Free update of what? AOPA directory?
>
>AF/D it ain't.

It has everything about an airport that the AF/D has plus a lot more.
It is easier to read, easier to find airports in, and I can carry the
entire US in my Sony Clie. It doesn't have some sections (preferred
routes, VOR check points, some AFSS telephone numbers my Sony already
has all of them, etc.). The only thing it doesn't have are notes in
the back that tell you how to do things like fly over Niagara Falls.
It more than meets my needs for any flights I have taken.

Tom S.
July 28th 03, 12:25 AM
"Sydney Hoeltzli" > wrote in message
> ArtP wrote:
> > On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 19:11:42 GMT, Sydney Hoeltzli
> > > wrote:
>
> >>Is AF/D info available for download online?
>
> > Join AOPA and get a free update every 28 days.
>
> I have been an AOPA member for years.

Why not? I was thinking of joining, but....

--
"How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant
pervert the plain Meaning of Words!"
John Pitts, January 21, 1776

John T
July 28th 03, 12:30 AM
"Peter R." > wrote in message
ds.com

> Sydney, I ran across what looks to be a pretty comprehensive AF/D
> reference for the Palm, except that it is not free.
>
> http://www.notamd.com/aptins_palm.html

I second this suggestion. It served me well during my Palm days and they've
recently released a PocketPC version to keep me happy. :)

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

Sydney Hoeltzli
July 28th 03, 12:38 AM
Peter R. wrote:

> Sydney Hoeltzli wrote:
>>Is AF/D info available for download online?

> Sydney, I ran across what looks to be a pretty comprehensive AF/D
> reference for the Palm, except that it is not free.
> $39.99 gets you the software and one full year of updates.

Any idea how much space the AF/Ds take, or how much
additional year of updates cost? Our aviation palm is
a VIIx, and its memory isn't unlimited.

$40 will buy a lot of paper AF/Ds.

Cheers,
Sydney

Jack Wynn Jr
July 28th 03, 01:32 AM
If your a AOPA member, then its on their website.

"Sydney Hoeltzli" > wrote in message
> Is AF/D info available for download online?
>
> Thanks,
> Sydney

Sydney Hoeltzli
July 28th 03, 01:52 AM
Jack Wynn Jr wrote:
> If your a AOPA member, then its on their website.

OK so I'm blind where?

Thanks!
Sydney

Sydney Hoeltzli
July 28th 03, 01:55 AM
Tom S. wrote:
> "Sydney Hoeltzli" > wrote in message

>>I have been an AOPA member for years.

> Why not? I was thinking of joining, but....

I think you're misreading my post. See above

You'd have to ask someone else, who is not a member,
why not.

Cheers,
Sydney

Peter R.
July 28th 03, 02:26 AM
Sydney Hoeltzli wrote:

> Any idea how much space the AF/Ds take, or how much
> additional year of updates cost? Our aviation palm is
> a VIIx, and its memory isn't unlimited.

After looking over the web link I provided to you (as I do not own the
software), I learned that the developers have come up with a conduit
that will transfer all or any portion (states) you specify, solving the
various memory issues of the not-so-well endowed PDAs. Look towards the
bottom of that page for the specifics.

> $40 will buy a lot of paper AF/Ds.

About nine, or about 1.5 years worth, to be a bit more precise. I am
curious what it costs to renew a subscription once one has the base
software, though.

--
Peter

John T
July 28th 03, 03:03 AM
"Sydney Hoeltzli" > wrote in message

> $40 will buy a lot of paper AF/Ds.

True, but will $40 buy you a year's worth of *all* AF/D's? :)

The good news about Airport Insight is you can try it before you buy it. As
Peter mentioned, you can choose specific airports, regions, airports within
a given range, individual states (and possibly a few other parameters I
can't remember) to define just how much data to download to your Palm.

I now use the PocketPC version which has the complete US database in a ~5MB
data file.

I think updates are $15/yr.

All I can say is it works well for me. It has come in handy several times
when I diverted or chose to land at a different airport and wanted to get
all the relevant information quickly.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer
_______________

Andrew Sarangan
July 30th 03, 03:20 AM
If I remember correctlt, that raw data for the AF/D is obtained from
the National Flight Data Center (NFDC). This data used to be free from
an ftp site, but now they charge $36 per 56-day cycle. You can find
this at:

http://www1.faa.gov/ats/ata/ata100/120/datadistr.html

I believe this is the same source that Airnav uses (I could be wrong
though).

Sydney Hoeltzli > wrote in message >...
> Is AF/D info available for download online?
>
> Thanks,
> Sydney

Google