PDA

View Full Version : Re: IFR On Top

Newps
July 30th 03, 06:34 PM
You mean VFR on Top. The main advantage is you get to pick your
altitude and go much lower against headwinds. Since there is no
separation provided by ATC there is a lot more route flexibility.

Lloyd I. Cripe wrote:
> A pilot friend with a relatively new IFR rating asked me the following
> question: If you are on an IFR flight plan, what would be the advantage of
> flying IFR On Top? What is the purpose flying IFR On Top?
>
> I would appreciate your response to these questions.

Lloyd I. Cripe
July 30th 03, 06:34 PM
Yes. I did mean VFR on Top.
"Hankal" > wrote in message
> >If you are on an IFR flight plan, what would be the advantage of
> >flying IFR On Top?
>
> I think you mean VFR on top which is an IFR clearance.

Peter R.
July 30th 03, 06:36 PM
Newps ) wrote:

> You mean VFR on Top. The main advantage is you get to pick your
> altitude and go much lower against headwinds. Since there is no
> separation provided by ATC there is a lot more route flexibility.

A question I have always had but never asked until now: Does VFR-On-TOP
allow the pilot to choose headings as well, say to avoid CB buildup,
without requesting the heading change of ATC?

--
Peter

Google