PDA

View Full Version : retrofitting an autopilot

anonymous
November 25th 05, 07:13 PM
The AMD Alarus IFR trainer that I'm thinking of buying is pretty well
equipped and reasonably priced but it doesn't come with an autopilot. Is it
possible to retrofit one with reasonable cost and reliability?

Juan Jimenez
November 26th 05, 01:32 AM
Depends on your definition of 'reasonable cost'. That in turn depends on
what you want the autopilot to be able to do.

"anonymous" > wrote in message
et...
> The AMD Alarus IFR trainer that I'm thinking of buying is pretty well
> equipped and reasonably priced but it doesn't come with an autopilot. Is
> it possible to retrofit one with reasonable cost and reliability?

anonymous
November 26th 05, 01:44 AM
I guess I need a three-axis sync'd to a gps.

"Juan Jimenez" > wrote in message
> Depends on your definition of 'reasonable cost'. That in turn depends on
> what you want the autopilot to be able to do.
>
> "anonymous" > wrote in message
> et...
>> The AMD Alarus IFR trainer that I'm thinking of buying is pretty well
>> equipped and reasonably priced but it doesn't come with an autopilot. Is
>> it possible to retrofit one with reasonable cost and reliability?

Victor J. Osborne, Jr.
November 26th 05, 04:47 AM
Ask for a quote from an experienced S-Tec shop. $10-15k educated guess.

--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.
"anonymous" > wrote in message
et...
> The AMD Alarus IFR trainer that I'm thinking of buying is pretty well
> equipped and reasonably priced but it doesn't come with an autopilot. Is
> it possible to retrofit one with reasonable cost and reliability?

kgruber
November 26th 05, 07:10 AM
A cruise through the internet with Google makes me think/bet there is no
autopilot certified for the Alarus. Certainly not a three axis!
Most of these are trainers.

Karl
"anonymous" > wrote in message
om...
>I guess I need a three-axis sync'd to a gps.
>
> "Juan Jimenez" > wrote in message
>> Depends on your definition of 'reasonable cost'. That in turn depends on
>> what you want the autopilot to be able to do.
>>
>> "anonymous" > wrote in message
>> et...
>>> The AMD Alarus IFR trainer that I'm thinking of buying is pretty well
>>> equipped and reasonably priced but it doesn't come with an autopilot.
>>> Is it possible to retrofit one with reasonable cost and reliability?

CriticalMass
November 26th 05, 02:08 PM
anonymous wrote:

> I guess I need a three-axis sync'd to a gps.

Three axis? Why three?

Tauno Voipio
November 26th 05, 02:21 PM
anonymous wrote:
> I guess I need a three-axis sync'd to a gps.

For a simple single-engine airplane, two axes is enough.

Even a single-axis (ailerons only) 'wing leveler' will
give you enough time to navigate without needing to hold
the yoke all the time.

The second axis will add elevator control. There
are different levels from attitude control to
ILS glidepath following.

The third axis (rudder) is usually needed for twins
and jets ('yaw damper').

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

John Clonts
November 27th 05, 12:30 AM
Ditto on that, I would recommend against Century...

"Victor J. Osborne, Jr." > wrote in message ...
> Ask for a quote from an experienced S-Tec shop. $10-15k educated guess.
>
> --
>
> Thx, {|;-)
>
> Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.
> "anonymous" > wrote in message
> et...
>> The AMD Alarus IFR trainer that I'm thinking of buying is pretty well equipped and reasonably priced but it
>> doesn't come with an autopilot. Is it possible to retrofit one with reasonable cost and reliability?

Jon Kraus
November 28th 05, 12:42 AM
Tim Matheson down in Lafayette GA can do a STEC-30 out the door for
around $7500

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

Victor J. Osborne, Jr. wrote:

> Ask for a quote from an experienced S-Tec shop. $10-15k educated guess.

oldie
November 29th 05, 02:11 AM
anonymous wrote:
> The AMD Alarus IFR trainer that I'm thinking of buying is pretty well
> equipped and reasonably priced but it doesn't come with an autopilot. Is it
> possible to retrofit one with reasonable cost and reliability?

oldie
November 29th 05, 02:17 AM
anonymous wrote:
> The AMD Alarus IFR trainer that I'm thinking of buying is pretty well
> equipped and reasonably priced but it doesn't come with an autopilot. Is it
> possible to retrofit one with reasonable cost and reliability?
If you decide on the S-Tec 30 it takes the place of your turn
cordinator so you don't lose any panel space and if you can swing it do
get the altitude hold

Google