PDA

View Full Version : Bendix King GPS Updates

Matthew Waugh
August 5th 03, 01:07 AM
I'm looking for information, feedback, pitfalls of updating Bendix-King
GPS's such as the KLN-89B and KLN-94 by updating the cards directly as
opposed to plugging into the GPS itself. I understand that there is a card
reader you can buy and that there is a firmware upgrade to it that allows
the cards to be burned, but that's about all I know.

Is anybody using it, how reliable is it etc?

Thanks Mat

--
Matthew Waugh
Comm. SEL MEL, CFI-AI

Ross Richardson
August 5th 03, 06:11 PM
I have the 89/B and update it with a laptop. I download off the net and
take it to the plane and upload. Easy process, but you have to have a
laptop. Or, you buy a third party power up unit and take the GPS home. I
really didn't like the idea of pulling out the GPS each time. I heard
info that you could remove the flash card from the 94 and program it at
home using a San-disk adapter to a USB port. I contacted King and
confirmed this for the 94, but there is nothing for the 89/B and they do
not plan to develop anything.

The free King dataloader software is easy to use. The whole process to
upload is about 6 minutes. Time to clean the windshield while that is
going on. With the 89/B you will need to know the database key to pull
the updates from the net and upload the GPS. If it is wrong it will not
work. Happened to me. A quick call to Bendix fixed the problem and they
restored my download.

Matthew Waugh wrote:

> I'm looking for information, feedback, pitfalls of updating Bendix-King
> GPS's such as the KLN-89B and KLN-94 by updating the cards directly as
> opposed to plugging into the GPS itself. I understand that there is a card
> reader you can buy and that there is a firmware upgrade to it that allows
> the cards to be burned, but that's about all I know.
>
> Is anybody using it, how reliable is it etc?
>
> Thanks Mat
>
> --
> Matthew Waugh
> Comm. SEL MEL, CFI-AI