PDA

View Full Version : Which oil can cutter?

Jim Burns
November 28th 05, 04:32 PM
Which oil filter can cutter do you or your mechanic use? There are several
available and the prices are as varied as their claims. Wondering what you
use and which ones to avoid. Currently we've taken our filters to a friends
and borrowed him, his cutter, and his time. Time to buy one of my own.

Thanks!

Jim

Rich Badaracco
November 28th 05, 06:03 PM
I tried a few of them before I found the one at Sacramento Sky Ranch
http://www.sacskyranch.com/index.htm.
Pricey but it works great.

"Jim Burns" > wrote in message
> Which oil filter can cutter do you or your mechanic use? There are
> several
> available and the prices are as varied as their claims. Wondering what
> you
> use and which ones to avoid. Currently we've taken our filters to a
> friends
> and borrowed him, his cutter, and his time. Time to buy one of my own.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jim

Gene Seibel
November 28th 05, 06:27 PM
I do NOT like P/N 12-21395 from Aircraft Spruce. The threaded pipe has
to be removed from the center of the oil filter for it to work.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

Longworth
November 28th 05, 10:23 PM
Jim,
We followed the adivce given by Evan Julber in this thread

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.aviation.owning/msg/d18508a9d48360d7?dmode=source

and ordered a pipe cutter from Harbor Freight

"BTW, you can open your filter for inspection one of two ways: buy an
expensive oil can cutter or call Harbor Freight and order a $14.95 pipe
cutter (No. 3, Item 05983-OCZA, 1-800-423-2567)."

It works great.

Hai Longworth

Michelle P
November 29th 05, 01:20 PM
Airwolf sells a nice one.
Happy customer.
Michelle

Jim Burns wrote:

>Which oil filter can cutter do you or your mechanic use? There are several
>available and the prices are as varied as their claims. Wondering what you
>use and which ones to avoid. Currently we've taken our filters to a friends
>and borrowed him, his cutter, and his time. Time to buy one of my own.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Jim

Jim Burns
November 29th 05, 01:36 PM
Michelle,
I noticed the Airwolf cutter looks like it "lacks" a handle, ie: it's rather
round. Any problems turning it?
Thanks,
Jim

"Michelle P" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Airwolf sells a nice one.
> Happy customer.
> Michelle
>
> Jim Burns wrote:
>
> >Which oil filter can cutter do you or your mechanic use? There are
several
> >available and the prices are as varied as their claims. Wondering what
you
> >use and which ones to avoid. Currently we've taken our filters to a
friends
> >and borrowed him, his cutter, and his time. Time to buy one of my own.
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Jim

RST Engineering
November 29th 05, 09:14 PM
The one that John Schwaner of Sacramento Sky Ranch designed and is selling
is my choice hands down.

Jim

"Michelle P" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Airwolf sells a nice one.
> Happy customer.
> Michelle
>
> Jim Burns wrote:
>
>>Which oil filter can cutter do you or your mechanic use? There are
>>several
>>available and the prices are as varied as their claims. Wondering what
>>you
>>use and which ones to avoid. Currently we've taken our filters to a
>>friends
>>and borrowed him, his cutter, and his time. Time to buy one of my own.
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>Jim

Michelle P
November 29th 05, 09:20 PM
Jim,
No.
Michelle

Jim Burns wrote:

>Michelle,
>I noticed the Airwolf cutter looks like it "lacks" a handle, ie: it's rather
>round. Any problems turning it?
>Thanks,
>Jim
>
>"Michelle P" > wrote in message
ink.net...

>>Airwolf sells a nice one.
>>Happy customer.
>>Michelle
>>
>>Jim Burns wrote:
>>

>>>Which oil filter can cutter do you or your mechanic use? There are
>>>

>several
>

>>>available and the prices are as varied as their claims. Wondering what
>>>

>you
>

>>>use and which ones to avoid. Currently we've taken our filters to a
>>>

>friends
>

>>>and borrowed him, his cutter, and his time. Time to buy one of my own.
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>
>>>Jim

Jon Woellhaf
November 29th 05, 10:32 PM
Michelle wrote, "Jim, No. Michelle"

I nominate Michelle for the 2005 RAO brevity award.

Jon

Jim Burns
November 29th 05, 10:47 PM
That's the same short one way conversation that I've had with plenty of
women.... and getting married doesn't improve the situation much either! :)
Jim

"Jon Woellhaf" > wrote in message
> Michelle wrote, "Jim, No. Michelle"
>
> I nominate Michelle for the 2005 RAO brevity award.
>
> Jon

Michelle P
December 1st 05, 12:37 AM
Jim,
to quote Jeff Foxworthy . "I have learned that if I am in the same room
with my wife for a half hour and she does not say anything to me. It's me!"
Michelle

Jim Burns wrote:

>That's the same short one way conversation that I've had with plenty of
>women.... and getting married doesn't improve the situation much either! :)
>Jim
>
>"Jon Woellhaf" > wrote in message
>

>>Michelle wrote, "Jim, No. Michelle"
>>
>>I nominate Michelle for the 2005 RAO brevity award.
>>
>>Jon

RST Engineering
December 1st 05, 12:45 AM
Another good quotation is that the best marriage is between a blind woman
and a deaf man.

Jim

"Michelle P" > wrote in message
k.net...
> Jim,
> to quote Jeff Foxworthy . "I have learned that if I am in the same room
> with my wife for a half hour and she does not say anything to me. It's
> me!"
> Michelle

Jim Burns
December 1st 05, 02:52 AM
Huh?

(I'm learnin! :)
Jim

"RST Engineering" > wrote in message
> Another good quotation is that the best marriage is between a blind woman
> and a deaf man.
>
> Jim
>

> "Michelle P" > wrote in message
> k.net...
> > Jim,
> > to quote Jeff Foxworthy . "I have learned that if I am in the same room
> > with my wife for a half hour and she does not say anything to me. It's
> > me!"
> > Michelle

Jay Honeck
December 2nd 05, 04:37 AM
> Which oil filter can cutter do you or your mechanic use?

I use this one:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/oilfiltercutteraviation.php

It works fine, but I found that putting the cutter in the vice and rotating
the filter with a wrench (while slowly tightening the cutter wheel) works
better than putting the filter in the vice and rotating the cutter. (Which
is how the catalog describes using it.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA