PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Fix Question (student)

Cecil E. Chapman
August 8th 03, 06:23 PM
How come IAF, FAF, MM, MAP, are all depicted (usually) on the profile view
of an approach chart but the IF (intermediate fix) is not?

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

My personal adventures as a student pilot
and after my PPL: www.bayareapilot.com

Greg Esres
August 8th 03, 08:28 PM
<<How come IAF, FAF, MM, MAP, are all depicted (usually) on the
profile view of an approach chart but the IF (intermediate fix) is
not?>>

I suppose because it serves no purpose to identify this fix, other
than to satisfy curiosity.

Stan Gosnell
August 9th 03, 12:11 AM
"Cecil E. Chapman" > wrote in
:

> How come IAF, FAF, MM, MAP, are all depicted (usually) on the profile
> view of an approach chart but the IF (intermediate fix) is not?

It's not part of the approach procedure.

Stan Gosnell
August 10th 03, 04:36 AM
wrote in :

> It certainly is. Many foreign IAPs designate the IF. The FAA plans
> to do so in the near future, based on agreements with industry,

Well, it might be in the near future, but the future isn't now.

--
Regards,

Stan

David Megginson
August 10th 03, 12:10 PM
writes:

> It certainly is. Many foreign IAPs designate the IF. The FAA plans to do
> so in the near future, based on agreements with industry, It becomes more
> important as RNAV procedures become prevelant and pilots and/or ATC want to
> proceed direct-to the IAF, when, if fact, they sometimes set themselves up
> to proceed to the IF.

In Canada, the IF is published on the plate (for non-vectored
straight-in approaches), but it does not appear in the profile view,
possibly because the profile view is for the full procedure.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, , http://www.megginson.com/

JimBob
August 11th 03, 07:03 PM
"Cecil E. Chapman" > wrote in message >...
> How come IAF, FAF, MM, MAP, are all depicted (usually) on the profile view
> of an approach chart but the IF (intermediate fix) is not?

The purpose of the profile view is to depict any altitude change or
timing point. If the IF does not serve that purpose then it will not
be depicted. Some IFs are depicted on the profile view in LOC/DME
approaches.

August 11th 03, 07:15 PM
JimBob wrote:

> The purpose of the profile view is to depict any altitude change or
> timing point. If the IF does not serve that purpose then it will not
> be depicted. Some IFs are depicted on the profile view in LOC/DME
> approaches.

The United States Interagency Cartographic Specifications, which NACO is bound to, and Jeppesen tends to follow,
requires that the profile view include the intermediate segment (except where none exists, such as on-airport VOR or
NDB IAPs without a FAF). Further, if there is a procedure turn or course reversal hold-in-lieu-of procedure turn, that
must be in the profile view as well. Thus, the intermediate fix or point is always in the profile view of an FAA IAP
chart, even though the intermediate fix is not designated on the chart as such.

Google